FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - i really want to know this
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:36 pm
HansGolden

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by khoridon
ohh so have an airline credit card that u get miles everytime u spend money on it?
Was that directed to me? If so, yes, I do, but it's usually free incentive tickets from the airlines because I'm a travel agent that works for a specialty agency (we're the second largest in our niche in the US) that has special contracts with a number of different carriers--we direct a lot of business. For instance, Lufthansa gave my whole family (6 pax) tickets to Europe. South African Airways gave us 6 coach and 2 business class tickets to South Africa. (We didn't even get to use those, we gave them to some of our best customers.) Several years ago, I flew to Oman, UAE, and Israel on a free Northwest/KLM ticket. It also means that I keep my finger on the pulse of prices and snap up good deals, like last November I (and three friends) flew KE ICT-CNX//XIY-ICT for $700 a/i to visit some friends at both places (that was wholesale price, of course; most agencies would mark that up at least $100). Back in the day, we could fly anywhere on AD90s which was a deal where we flew standby for 10% of the cost of a full fare ticket, but no more. AD90s have morphed into AD50s or (rarely) AD75s. So now it's just a free ticket or two every once in a while when they're really interested in earning some extra business from us or making us happier or incentivizing us to increase our market share with them by a certain percentage.