FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - THAI 77W when and where?
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:59 pm
tlongdon

Trip Report: TG930 BKK-CDG 19.06.10 "new" 777

Sorry this is a very long trip report which seriously lacks in useful content.

As I didn't get fed quickly enough, and the crew disappeared for quite a while after take-off (more on that later), I just took a Xanax, hit the DND, put the seat in the bed position, and woke up an hour before landing.

However...

Boarded the plane, and was pleased to see the "new" plane layout, since it hadn't been introduced last week when I was originally expecting to use it. The plane is by no means "new" by QR standards. There were wear and tear signs (stickers for various things having been peeled off some time in the past and the bits of fluff stuck there to identify their former position; the airbag leather/leatherette coverings a little frayed).

C class is the so-called 'herringbone' layout, as you can see below. While it's great to have a flat bed in a seat, and no neighbour to annoy/be annoyed by, frankly I could've done without the guy over the aisle basically looking directly at me - staring in fact (maybe my left side is my good side ) - which would've been flattering had he not been some old geezer. I got to look directly at the quite large belly of 8G which was close to obscuring his tv.

And in both cases, I was quite pleased 8G and 9G kept their socks on - a failing trend, I've noticed, since the world economy declines, and peoples' decency with it.

Anyway, not important:

Below, you probably can't make it out easily, but from the seated position, you have the footrest direclty in front of you, absolutely PERFECT feet-up position for taking off and landing. So comfortable compared to the old 747. Strange though, as you cannot have the screens out for take off and landing, and you can't actually look at them since they're side-on. In fact, I could've asked the guy in 8G to put something interesting on, as I faced his screen head-on.

Here's the seat. Note the screen on the side.

Quickly headed back into the FC cabin before the FC-ers boarded. Sorry it's blurry, but you get the point. Nice private cabins, but considering the business class seats now, and from the comment above, and having been stung for TG's FC prices before, perhaps not worth it:

Back to my 9K, and I noticed the seatbelts have those airbags in now. Not particularly comfortable to be honest:

Quite liked the control panel for the seat. Noticed 8G asking what DND meant, which is a fair question if English isn't your first language. Fortunately it didn't say DNR:

So, a very brief trip report... following boarding.

I noticed that 9K, and so presumably 9A too, do not have windows, unless in the fully inclined bed position. The partially reclined position is not comfortable - the seat raises up too, and more so at the front. It was more comfortable for me to keep the seat upright, slouch a little, and keep my feet on the foot-rest at the end of the pod.

I spoke to an attendant, who explained that this aircraft is now leased for 3 years, for use on the Paris and Narita routes (although for some reason I thought it was Incheon, but it was noisy on board). She also apologised if the crew make any errors, what with this being a new plane and all.

Strapped in, the plane started to pull back (I think that's the right terminology?). The first thing I noticed is that there was a lot - and I mean a LOT - of engine noise, something I have not experienced for a very very long time - the last time i sat in economy many moons ago, and was closer to the engines. On take off, and then at cruising speed, the engine noise did not abate. I was frankly very surprised at this - it made my usual spot in 23B on the 747 seem like an oasis of tranquility by comparison. I thanked the Lord I'd remembered to put in some ear defenders, as I know Thai never has these in their amenity kits.

Shortly after the seatbelt lights were off, I went to the bathroom to change. The bathroom is certainly larger than 747, much more space to manoeuvre into my jim-jams. Interestingly, if you're sat in the - let's say - "number 2 position", there is a second flush button on the wall opposite you, next to the door, marked "bidet". I was tempted, but since I got hold of a new iPad, let's just say I'm not too impressed with new technology at the moment, so left it unpushed.

Returned to my seat, and about 5 minutes later, the drinks trolley was brought round. The red wine - the only drink I usually use to wash down the Xanax - has become truly awful on TG. I can't even remember the names - I want to say Robin and Mercurey but I could be totally wrong.

VERY interestingly, at this point the crew opened my overhead locker which, with this layout, means it can be just for you - and indeed, there were only my things in it, plus my blanket. They took the blanket and gave it to the 9G guy. I thought this was strange, and as I speak Thai, heard one asking if there was another in there, to which the reply was, there isn't. I was about to get annoyed, but thought I'd wait until I needed one and see what happens.

Food choices were taken, and a very grainy small picture of the menu follows:

And then.... that was it. I started watching the first episode of True Blood, and got all the way through before a cabin attendant was seen again. I noticed that the fasten seatbelts sign was on, so I presume they were in their crew seats (and you can't see them when they are) as a safety precaution. However, there was certainly no turbulence at all during this period - not even a light flutter.

By now, we must be a good 1 hour 20-30 minutes into the flight, I'd guess. One crew member came around with the tablecloths - my tray was open with the laptop on it, to be fair, but he walked past, laid the table of my neighbour in 9G, and carried on to the back. Came back to serve 9G his starter, by which time I had cleared the tray table of the laptop... but nothing for me.

So a thought of "screw this" with a dash of knowledge that, unfortuantely, TG food is never worth waiting for, I washed the aforementioned Xanax down with the rest of the 'wine'. I asked a crew member for a blanket - she came back a few minutes later with what I can only assume was a first class one, because it was gold (everyone elses, including my original one, was pink). Now, let's just say that this was an FC blanket, I would seriously have been annoyed. It was just a typical flimsy blanket - the last time I saw one like this was an economy Emirates flight in 2002 which has ever sinced lined my dog's basket. I'm sure I must be thinking of QR and not Thai, but I remember sleeping under quite a hefty quilted blanket recently - much more appropriate.

Still, I was now with blanket, which I felt I needed as 9G was still starting over at my seat, and as I was going to be in the led-down position, I didn't want to be giving him the opportunity for lewd thoughts (though to be fair, I have been working out a lot lately!).

I put in the much needed ear defenders (seriously, engine noise is THAT bad I could still hear a loud hum through those - be warned!), hit the "ZZZ" button, and was away with the fairies until I woke up an hour before landing.

Note: the intensity of the blue light underneath the tv screen is quite strong - definitely need those eyeshades (which, again, I thankfully keep from my QR flights - they're nice and soft, unlike the Thai ones which feel like they'd melt to your face if you got too near your morning coffee).

To give service-levels the benefit of the doubt, as soon as they saw I'd woken up, I was asked by a crew member if I wanted breakfast. But I can never eat as soon as I've woken up - except on QR, where the food is actually worth waking up for, and is my preferred airline on this route for 1001 other reasons. So I had a coffee, and in no time we landed.

Overall, I would have to say that simply for the lie-flat seats, and the direct night flight, TG business class is finally worth paying for on this route. I rarely eat late at night, so I'm not fussed about food. In fact, I'm always astonished how many fliers treat the in-flight meal service as the one and only time per year they don't have to cook for themselves. Sad, really. I openly invite you all to the brasserie on my street corner in the 2e, which does significantly better food, and has amazing wine, and I leave never having paid more than 20 euros.

But, another drink before sleeping wouldn't have gone amiss, or at least to have been asked.

Sleep-wise, I never seem to succesfully be able to get the QR 777 with the lie-flats (which is a BEAUTIFUL plane, so shiny and comfortable in C), and I enjoy a good sleep. However, TG averages from 4-800 euros more expensive per return, so you can weigh up yourselves whether the lack of a 2-hour stopover in Qatar is worth spending the extra (you get more miles on QR if you use your BMI card too...).

I have to do the same route in a couple of weeks on TG (gold renewal time), and will keep 9K, will remember the ear defenders, will have more to drink in the lounge before boarding the plane, and make sure if there's a blanket in my overhead, I sit on the d*mn thing before the crew grab it for another passenger.

I would have been a tad annoyed if I was a heavy eater/drinker. On the TG 747, the crew almost seem to refill your glass when they see it's half empty, and I usually have to tell them to stop after the 4th glass. I quite like seeing the drink bottles lined up on the lower deck too, so if I wake up in the night and the Xanax needs a little booster, making a quick V&T. No doubt the bottles were lined up in the bar on the other side of the curtain, but that lie flat bed was far too comfortable - I didn't wake once, managing about 7 hours of good solid sleep.

Which was much needed... when you then get to Charles de Gaulle immigration first thing in the morning. Ouch.

p.s. in response to BKKROP's remark above, yes - it has also crossed my mind that in an emergency landing, I'd have to be helping the crew leave the aircraft, not the other way round. When one crew member had to put his reading glasses on to help 8G recline his seat... well...

Last edited by tlongdon; Jun 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm