FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NYC Limousine / Car Services
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:21 pm
MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by alexaqui
I think I'll jump in on this conversation as I posted incorrectly in another forum my search for a good car service from EWR to midtown west.

I would have to say that both Carmel and TelAviv-Dial 7 are fly-by-night operations that engage in some very sketchy behavior. I wish for the day when they would go out of business. They both flat out lie about car availability (*always* ask for an exact car number, otherwise they are lying to you about the 5-10 minute wait) and about the timing of a 5 to 10 minute wait (usually 15+). The cars are often in poor/inconsistent shape and the Dial-7 drivers tend to have the 'tapping away on the gas pedal' problem, which can lead to motion sickness! Sometimes the driver's license posted in the car does not match the driver! After getting into an accident in a Carmel limo about 3 weeks ago, I'm done with both companies. I'm not sure why they even try and track flight info because they don't use it.

The taxis out of Newark are sketchy and *very* expensive ($85 all in to midtown west).

I will try some of the other brands mentioned here if I can keep it under $100.
I have had good luck with both Carmel and Dial 7s out of LGA and JFK, maybe I have been just lucky or its an EWR thing. Since you seem to be looking for a fairly inexpensive alternative, have you looked at the Airtrain to NJT and then cab it from Penn Station. Timewise, it could be nearly the same depending upon the time of day when you are traveling. The disadvantage is that sometimes on the weekend they take the Airtrain down and you are forced onto very crowded buses.