Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Tier Miles

I have just been watching a few youtube Videos regarding Tier miles and that they are changing the dates when a new tier date starts to the 1st April, Having just checked i signed up to BA Executive club on the 14th April So i am in a good position that i have 2 years to try and get to Bronze or maybe silver.

Looking at the next 2 years, I can imagine that my wife and i will be doing 2 trips a year and looking at flying from Glasgow most of the time flying Economy due to budget, That means 3 legs each way, But my question is, Will i get to bronze and would i be able to maintain Bronze and i guess Silver is out of the question.

Looking at the BA Calculator , It states that i will only get 20 tier miles because i am in O Class which then makes it pointless since you need 300 Tier points for Gold. I have thought about a 5 day holiday early next year , But then because we are only flying a few times a year , Is it really worthwhile getting into Tier points and just try and save Avios points since they don't expire .

Glasgow (GLA) to Bangkok (BKK) on British Airways each-way

Class

Avios

Tier Points

Economy lowest (Q, O, G)

Old May 9, 2024, 5:22 am

300 Tier Points is Bronze. You’d need 1,500 for Gold.

As you’re travelling a couple of times per year in economy, I personally wouldn’t bother entertaining collecting Tier Points. I’d still collect Avios.

Have a read of the ex-Eu thread for some good deals on Business tickets originating outside of the UK.
tmac100 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You need 1500 tier points for gold, 300 for bronze. You have to earn these April 2024 to April 2025, you don't have two years to earn them.

There are some great guides pinned to the top of the board, but the summary is that 2 flights a year in economy isn't going to get you status.
crazy8534, tmac100 and DiamondMile like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tier Points - don't get them confused with miles/Avios. TBH as an infrequent traveller, in Y, getting any status is going to be hard work and Bronze isn't massively exciting either. I'd focus on the best price, routing, airline and treat the FFP as a minor concern.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Tier Points - don't get them confused with miles/Avios. TBH as an infrequent traveller, in Y, getting any status is going to be hard work and Bronze isn't massively exciting either. I'd focus on the best price, routing, airline and treat the FFP as a minor concern.
Great advice thank you
Swanhunter and LCSinTexas like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by malct
I have just been watching a few youtube Videos regarding Tier miles and that they are changing the dates when a new tier date starts to the 1st April, Having just checked i signed up to BA Executive club on the 14th April So i am in a good position that i have 2 years to try and get to Bronze or maybe silver.

Looking at the next 2 years, I can imagine that my wife and i will be doing 2 trips a year and looking at flying from Glasgow most of the time flying Economy due to budget, That means 3 legs each way, But my question is, Will i get to bronze and would i be able to maintain Bronze and i guess Silver is out of the question.

Looking at the BA Calculator , It states that i will only get 20 tier miles because i am in O Class which then makes it pointless since you need 300 Tier points for Gold. I have thought about a 5 day holiday early next year , But then because we are only flying a few times a year , Is it really worthwhile getting into Tier points and just try and save Avios points since they don't expire .

Glasgow (GLA) to Bangkok (BKK) on British Airways each-way

Class

Avios

Tier Points

Economy lowest (Q, O, G)

you have used the BA calculator incorrectly

on the instructions page on BA it states
Originally Posted by BA web page
"You can also use this calculator for connecting flights. Simply enter each flight separately and then add the amounts together.

Example: for New York to Edinburgh via London, enter New York to London, then London to Edinburgh. Select the New York airport, such as JFK, and London airport, such as LHR."
You need to put in each segment separately rather than saying GLA to BKK. i would have thought it would have errored saying you cannot fly that route, but on this occasion it does suggest you can fly that route and gives short haul tier points and avios. its not what you are flying, you have connecting flights

GLA - LHR (could be 5, 10 or 20 TP depending on the fare class you are booked in)

LHR - DOH (could be be 20 35 or 70 TP in economy depending on which fare class you are booked in) , 90 in PE if you are booked that coming back)

DOH - BKK ( 20 35 or 70 in economy depending on which fare class you are booked in)

So a minimum of 45 TP each way, a maximum of 160 in economy each way

So possible 90 TP (not enough for bronze by a long way) or 320 TP (enough or bronze)

You are no where close to silver for this one trip, had you booked business class you would have enough TP for silver, just missing one qualifying flight
tmac100 likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 9, 2024 at 6:45 am
Old May 9, 2024, 6:35 am

As someone how once made silver via ecconomy flights all shorthaul, it can be a lot of flying

You can check the avios and points via the teir points calculator https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
Old May 9, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Your route - GLA - LHR - DOH - BKK will net you 640 tier points return if you travel in business class in one trip which is enough to get you to silver. But in economy you'd be looking at, at most, 320, if you book the most expensive, unrestricted economy fare which is often more expensive than the cheapest business class fare. In reality that's likely to be the bottom end of the TP ladder, which is 90 TP return in economy so you'd need four returns just to make it to bronze.

Don't forget that if you book a BA holiday you can get double tier points if you stay 5 nights or more. But I'd probably suggest enjoying the flights as they are, and not worry about attaining status at this point. It's all subjective at the end of the day, but if you're only flying a couple of times a year, don't deliberately try and make status happen as you'll waste a lot of money doing it.
malct likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nmb255
As someone how once made silver via ecconomy flights all shorthaul, it can be a lot of flying

You can check the avios and points via the teir points calculator https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights
To be fair, I always thought the 50 sector rule for Silver was a nice little nod to those that have to do regular short hop commuting on 5 tier pointers...
camdentown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.