Search

Favourite aviation content creators

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Smile Favourite aviation content creators

Hi there,

In the last few months, aviation has become a bit of an interest of mine. I wfh and often have flightfocus365 on in the background along with other aviation content.

I’ve just signed up to this forum this morning and am still learning how to navigate it but was wondering if there are any aviation content creators who are worth a follow? I have a particular interest in the BA exec club and collecting tier points. Along with reviews of city and holiday destinations (Europe and North America).

My YouTubers of choice are My Grey Gap Year, Matt’s Planet, Charles On Travels and My Layover Life. If anyone has other recommendations​​​​​, that would be great thanks.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Welcome to the forum and I suspect someone will be along with a proper greeting. Note you only get 5 posts on your first day of registration.

That's quite a general question despite your interest in BAEC - you'll find ideas here for earning TPs and spending avios and it's really the best place to hang out. HeadForPoints tends to summarize some of the more useful content here a few days after it turns up and is good for detail on current credit card offers, particularly Amex.

As far as content creators for inspiration go, BA content tends to be limited to "can BA sink any lower?" "my nightmare flight on BA?" and other such clickbaity stuff which is usually rubbish . I always find Noel Phillips ok for ideas but supremely irritating as a vlogger. The vogue is for hyperbole to pull clicks in, but the better vlogs have commentary and a sort of brand identity rather than just being a continuous stream of gopro footage with subtitles.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to the BA Forum Catrine1338 and of course to Flyertalk. I don't 'follow' anyone specifically however there are many fine Trip Reports over on the Trip Report Forum.

One of our well established members, Genius1 has many very good quality and interesting reviews and you can find a summary here as an example.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18223387-post30.html

As you might find after getting used to this place it really is a gem for reading about the best, easiest and (mostly) cheapest way to collect tier points.

You'll find more detail here and other useful threads in the BA Forum Dashboard.

BA Tier Point Runs | 2024 master thread

BA Forum Dashboard

Pete
Catrine1338 and crazy8534 like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Any title card with the YouTuber pulling a face immediately gets a "Don't Recommend Channel" click from me
The subject of the video more often than not comes second behind the tuber, IMHO.
Old May 9, 2024, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I agree with bison that Noel Phillips is really irritating.

For other youtube channels I'd suggest DoorsToAuto, LuxuryTravelExpert and Simply Aviation. DoorsToAuto is much like the other channes you already watch, mainly just flight reviews, mostly BA, simply aviation does mostly economy reviews and has a "brutally honest" series really picking apart airlines' products, and LuxuryTravelExpert is (as you may have guessed) luxury hotel and flight reviews, usually with captions but no commentary.

Slightly different topic but 74Gear is a 747 pilot who makes more technical content which gives a pilot's perspective, not so much of the flight reviews on there though.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: Some
corporate-wage-slave , obviously!
Paren likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:17 am

I love the Nomadic aviation guys on twitter, who ferry empty aircraft around. They have very interesting lives and see a lot of interesting places.
crazy8534 and Get2DaChopper like this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Former FT-BAEC board regular, Wingin’ It! Paul Lucas I have certainly enjoyed on many occasions (paul4040 I think).
Not a great deal of BA content nowadays but lots of trains () and other world airlines.
We met on the inaugural (or possibly re-instated after a long pause, I can't remember) BA LHR-INV flight and he is a thoroughly lovely chap.

I think that Noel Phillips can be highly entertaining- he should have won some kind of documentary award for the time he tried to cross the US on a Greyhound bus.
Ended up flying home from DFW to outrun a snowstorm IIRC!
flybymonkey and Catrine1338 like this.

Last edited by crazy8534; May 9, 2024 at 6:26 am
Old May 9, 2024, 6:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
As this is more generic than just BA, I will move to the Travelbuzz forum where you will likely get more answers.

aks120
Moderator: BAEC Forum
Old May 9, 2024, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Silver / IHG Platinum Elite / Pan Pacific Gold / Hilton Silver / Accor Silver
Give Flip Flop Traveller a look, he's the best out there IMO.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm fortunate that I have never knowingly travelled in the same cabin as a "digital content creator".

If there were someone, especially in F, wandering around with a camera complete with some overinflated sense of self importance and commenting on everything, I suspect I would have a sense of humour failure.

Now, I'm not saying that I haven't sometimes watched some of this content and that I am being hypocritical to criticise its creation - but I have been around long enough to be able to cope with my own inconsistencies..!
Old May 9, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm fortunate that I have never knowingly travelled in the same cabin as a "digital content creator".

If there were someone, especially in F, wandering around with a camera complete with some overinflated sense of self importance and commenting on everything, I suspect I would have a sense of humour failure.

Now, I'm not saying that I haven't sometimes watched some of this content and that I am being hypocritical to criticise its creation - but I have been around long enough to be able to cope with my own inconsistencies..!
Having witnessed it being done I would say I had a new-found appreciation for how absolutely miserable it must be to be a YouTuber for a living- endless pieces to camera, takes and re-takes, setting up and taking down equipment.
I'm not surprised at all that so many eventually give up, it must suck an awful lot of the joy out of travel.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Having witnessed it being done I would say I had a new-found appreciation for how absolutely miserable it must be to be a YouTuber for a living- endless pieces to camera, takes and re-takes, setting up and taking down equipment.
I'm not surprised at all that so many eventually give up, it must suck an awful lot of the joy out of travel.
I can imagine - so were you on a flight when someone was filming? If so, was it interesting or irritating??
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I can imagine - so were you on a flight when someone was filming? If so, was it interesting or irritating??
Yes, I was hardly bothered by it at all but it was in FIRST so difficult to see what others were doing at the best of times.
There were certainly some moderate demands made of staff in terms of e.g. placing things on tables but they didn't seem to mind and I didn't feel that I was being neglected (he was behind me in 2A), quite the opposite in fact if anything the staff made a special effort to show me that I was being well taken care of. Just a normal day time TATL for me- ate, worked a little, watched some TV and then slept. When I got up to get ready for arrival he was still going through various shots and filming things like the wash bag etc. I had a nice chat to him on the way to GE and he didn't seem like someone who had just come off a plane well-rested and ready for what the destination held, quite the opposite in fact. (it wasn't the Vlogger I mentioned above btw).

Hence the only videos I ever upload are of me cutting into poached eggs....
YouTube simply can't get enough of those!
Old May 9, 2024, 7:54 am

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
Originally Posted by Jackylad
Give Flip Flop Traveller a look, he's the best out there IMO.
I second this. He keeps himself anonymous, so the focus is on the product he's reviewing.
Catrine1338 and lars747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.