Search

To BA biz or to not - LGW to MCO

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
To BA biz or to not - LGW to MCO

Good afternoon dear BA forum members,
I'm currently debating with me myself and I if I should book a BA holiday for our trip to the United States of A this December for our very first Caribbean cruise. I intend to spend a week prior in sunny Orlando. However, what's holding me back is a review I watched from a lady who said that BA had a 2-4-2 in business class!
That, if we wouldn't get 2 seats would be a terrible thought of which I'm shivering. On the other hand booking also a car for the week would mean to get double tier points and I could make/retain Silver for another year. Which by my standards is unheard of. But, most of the expense would me my hard earned cash.

So not much of an Avios redemption. Has anyone of you lovely people been on this flight and can tell me more about the seats, cabin rather than the food? I found the menu in the other thread but am wondering if this is worth it. Cost for December is, as expected high. Unfortunately, I can't fly in any other month due to the cruise. Can you guys help me with my questions? I'm too tired of watching people on YouTube posting flight reviews of which 10 minutes are 'takeoff views'.

Much obliged.
jonkx likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by crisdean
I'm currently debating with me myself and I if I should book a BA holiday for our trip to the United States of A this December for our very first Caribbean cruise. I intend to spend a week prior in sunny Orlando. However, what's holding me back is a review I watched from a lady who said that BA had a 2-4-2 in business class!
That, if we wouldn't get 2 seats would be a terrible thought of which I'm shivering. On the other hand booking also a car for the week would mean to get double tier points and I could make/retain Silver for another year. Which by my standards is unheard of. But, most of the expense would me my hard earned cash.

So not much of an Avios redemption. Has anyone of you lovely people been on this flight and can tell me more about the seats, cabin rather than the food? I found the menu in the other thread but am wondering if this is worth it. Cost for December is, as expected high. Unfortunately, I can't fly in any other month due to the cruise. Can you guys help me with my questions? I'm too tired of watching people on YouTube posting flight reviews of which 10 minutes are 'takeoff views'.

Much obliged.
Hi,

The LGW aircraft fleet is the old Club world seat ( 2-4-2 ying yang formation on the 777 ) so the window seats face backward. Despite this they go fully flat and are comforatable ( some people like old CW better than new Club suites as it is easier to talk to companions). It is better than WT+
If you can afford it then Club world is still good to travel.

Regards

TBS
Old May 11, 2024, 7:11 am

It is not truly 2-4-2 due to the yin-yang arrangement. You could use the same terminology to describe Qatar Q-suites but they number their rows differently to avoid this.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by crisdean

Much obliged.
if you never fly long haul business class you will find the club world seats a huge step up from y or y+

If you frequently travel some airlines more updated business products you will find cw a little dated, but not so bad as lufthansa's lh business class
Old May 11, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
If you're in the mood to splash the cash, you can always pay to reserve a pair of seats when you book (which will be free if you have status)
Old May 11, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: BA
I took this flight pre COVID and have booked again for this August, even knowing its old CW.

I really dont mind it - middle pair great for family. Were in row 1, so no one climbing over me.

it was industry leading when first launched, and perfectly adequate for an east coast TATL.

if you are silver pick the seats that suit you most and enjoy the ride.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The LGW-MCO route is indeed on clapped out 777-200s with very old CE seats. The IFE is also dated and IMHO very poor. The Disney Express, as I call it is also full of many excited, and sometimes loud children. However, fares on that route are often quite reasonable, especially in a sale. You can, of course always fly from LHR to Orlando via another gateway. Personally, I like the A380 via MIA. Its older CW too but the IFE is usually ok and the aircraft is so quiet.
mike&co, crisdean, dougzz and 1 others like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
It’s the old style seats and an older plane but it does arrive at the newer terminal C in Orlando which my sister said is a lot better than the older one.

Alternatively, had you considered flying into Miami and taking the Brightline to Orlando and then picking up your hire car? Trains run frequently and if booked in advance can get a decent fare in regular or premium class. If you decide this option select customise my trip, add the flights, then add car hire in Orlando and add any hotels if you want one, You can overnight in Miami before taking the Brightlins.

Note to Miami you most likely have an A380 which will also be in the old style but to ramp things up you can choose American on a 777 or indeed to JFK and an AA flight to MIA or indeed BA/EI to Dub,in then Aer Lingus to Dublin. Just make sure non BA flights are booked as a.BA codeshare to get double tier points.
timlewis808 likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
The LGW-MCO route is indeed on clapped out 777-200s with very old CE seats. The IFE is also dated and IMHO very poor. The Disney Express, as I call it is also full of many excited, and sometimes loud children. However, fares on that route are often quite reasonable, especially in a sale. You can, of course always fly from LHR to Orlando via another gateway. Personally, I like the A380 via MIA. Its older CW too but the IFE is usually ok and the aircraft is so quiet.
The IFE is the same modern Panasonic system as fitted to BAs newest deliveries.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The LGW aircraft fleet is the old Club world seat ( 2-4-2 ying yang formation on the 777 ) so the window seats face backward. Despite this they go fully flat and are comforatable ( some people like old CW better than new Club suites as it is easier to talk to companions). It is better than WT+
If you can afford it then Club world is still good to travel.

Regards

TBS
Thank you TBS, the reason is that I'm quote tall and I've done way too many times Economy where my back and knees fell off. My wife also has some back issues so I think it'd be the way to go.

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
It is not truly 2-4-2 due to the yin-yang arrangement. You could use the same terminology to describe Qatar Q-suites but they number their rows differently to avoid this.
Yeah we've been on Qsuites and it was nice, but it feels a bit cramped.

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if you never fly long haul business class you will find the club world seats a huge step up from y or y+

If you frequently travel some airlines more updated business products you will find cw a little dated, but not so bad as lufthansa's lh business class
No since I don't travel for business but occasionally for leisure only I've been on 2 biz class flights only. One was to Dubai on Emirates and the other one to Bali.

Originally Posted by bhbloke
If you're in the mood to splash the cash, you can always pay to reserve a pair of seats when you book (which will be free if you have status)
By a miracle I'm silver so that should help, and yes I'm proud I've achieved that.

Originally Posted by malkie
I took this flight pre COVID and have booked again for this August, even knowing its old CW.

I really dont mind it - middle pair great for family. Were in row 1, so no one climbing over me.

it was industry leading when first launched, and perfectly adequate for an east coast TATL.

if you are silver pick the seats that suit you most and enjoy the ride.
Will do that. And if my calculations are correct, the flight generates 280TP x2 if booked as BA holiday and car rental.

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
An interesting idea. Thank you will consider that.

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Its the old style seats and an older plane but it does arrive at the newer terminal C in Orlando which my sister said is a lot better than the older one.

Alternatively, had you considered flying into Miami and taking the Brightline to Orlando and then picking up your hire car? Trains run frequently and if booked in advance can get a decent fare in regular or premium class. If you decide this option select customise my trip, add the flights, then add car hire in Orlando and add any hotels if you want one, You can overnight in Miami before taking the Brightlins.

Note to Miami you most likely have an A380 which will also be in the old style but to ramp things up you can choose American on a 777 or indeed to JFK and an AA flight to MIA or indeed BA/EI to Dub,in then Aer Lingus to Dublin. Just make sure non BA flights are booked as a.BA codeshare to get double tier points.
I thought about Brightline and I think the train from Miami to Orlando takes around 3.5 hrs. Overnighting in Miami or actually staying in Miami for 3 days and going to Orlando for 2 before starting the cruise would also be an option since the Cruise leaves from Port Canaveral.

Originally Posted by EJetter
Thank you for the information. You guys have provided so much valuable information I'll be checking things out now. If all goes well I might hit the 241 and God knows maybe I could book an Avios flight (in which case I'd be happily forfeiting the double TP). Again thank you, you guys rock!
Old May 11, 2024, 12:11 pm

I took this flight in March and it was perfectly pleasant in row 1 with the middle pair for a couple, service was also good. The cabin was full and I think there were two children, but they were incredibly well behaved so it was not an issue.

+1 for Brightline though, I have taken it several times including on the long Orlando run and the Premium service is great - better than UK first class trains.
crisdean likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by EJetter
Why let facts get in the way of a good rant about Club World?!
revorgap likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
As a silver you will be able to select seats at the time of booking and are likely to get a pair together or a window/aisle combination, which ever your preference.

While Yin-Yang is technically 2-4-2, the geometry is very similar to Q-suites or even the 1-2-1 of Club Suites. All of the modern business class layouts are variants of this theme. I think of it like pizza slices being arranged to make a line rather than a round pizza.

CW is actually one of the more spacious arrangements around the legs - many reviews mention the foot coffins of the herringbone designs. I find the Z position is incredibly comfortable. The payoff is limited storage for personal bits and pieces. But the middle pair are extremely private for a couple once the screens come up.

Finally, the IFE and cabins on the LGW fleet are around the same age as the other 777s. They have had the lasted IFE installed and the latest PE and Y seat. Its just club world rather than club suite.
infrequentwings and crisdean like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I fly on the "clapped out" old birds from Gatwick all the time, and the cabin and the crew aren't so bad. The only thing which might be annoying is the amount of kids, quite often on my (holiday) route we get quite a lot of screaming babies which is never fun.

If you're travelling with someone I think the pairs in the middle of old club world are - in my opinion - much better than Club Suites. If you can chat to each other the flight goes much much quicker and people seem to admit that chatting to a partner isn't easy in Club Suites. There is always a pair in the middle at the back of the cabin that has aisle access, so with your Silver status I would suggest you book these and you'll be very comfy.

I also much prefer the lounge in Gatwick, it has two floors and it never gets as busy as the Heathrow lounges.

Can I please ask why you're thinking of a week in Orlando prior to the cruise in any case? I used to live in Orlando and also in Miami. I am guessing that your cruise will leave from Fort Lauderdale or Miami, so why don't you fly to Miami, pick up a car, mooch around the area for a week and then pick up the ship (that's exactly what we are doing in December, and do most Decembers). I don't see any great draw to going to Orlando unless you are taking kids with you, and there's plenty to keep you occupied in the Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Palm Beach area. Or even drive down to the Florida Keys.
infrequentwings likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JessicaB
I fly on the "clapped out" old birds from Gatwick all the time, and the cabin and the crew aren't so bad. The only thing which might be annoying is the amount of kids, quite often on my (holiday) route we get quite a lot of screaming babies which is never fun.

If you're travelling with someone I think the pairs in the middle of old club world are - in my opinion - much better than Club Suites. If you can chat to each other the flight goes much much quicker and people seem to admit that chatting to a partner isn't easy in Club Suites. There is always a pair in the middle at the back of the cabin that has aisle access, so with your Silver status I would suggest you book these and you'll be very comfy.

I also much prefer the lounge in Gatwick, it has two floors and it never gets as busy as the Heathrow lounges.

Can I please ask why you're thinking of a week in Orlando prior to the cruise in any case? I used to live in Orlando and also in Miami. I am guessing that your cruise will leave from Fort Lauderdale or Miami, so why don't you fly to Miami, pick up a car, mooch around the area for a week and then pick up the ship (that's exactly what we are doing in December, and do most Decembers). I don't see any great draw to going to Orlando unless you are taking kids with you, and there's plenty to keep you occupied in the Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Palm Beach area. Or even drive down to the Florida Keys.
our cruise doesnt leave from Miami. It does from Port Canaveral in Orlando. However, Ive seen that much more is to be seen in Miami and tbh wifey and I dont care for adventure parks. So we might do the Miami run and then Brightline to Orlando.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.