Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

overnight connection and checked bags (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Dear AA Experts,

I have a flight from EWR. I land in MIA around 8pm and then don't leave until 10am the next morning (heading to Aruba!).

My question relates to checked bags: Do I have the option of checking my bags all the way though and then I can just take a carry on to the hotel in MIA? Or will I have to retrieve my luggage in MIA and then recheck it in the morning?

If I do have the option of checking my bags in EWR all the way through to Aruba, should I be worried about the security of my luggage (not that there will be anything other than clothing - nothing particularly valuable) while it waits for over 12 hours for the connecting flight? Or does this dramatically increase the likelihood of the bags getting "lost" or delayed?

Thank you for you help as I decide how to pack.

BJFly
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BJfly
Dear AA Experts,

I have a flight from EWR. I land in MIA around 8pm and then don't leave until 10am the next morning (heading to Aruba!).

My question relates to checked bags: Do I have the option of checking my bags all the way though and then I can just take a carry on to the hotel in MIA? Or will I have to retrieve my luggage in MIA and then recheck it in the morning?

If I do have the option of checking my bags in EWR all the way through to Aruba, should I be worried about the security of my luggage (not that there will be anything other than clothing - nothing particularly valuable) while it waits for over 12 hours for the connecting flight? Or does this dramatically increase the likelihood of the bags getting "lost" or delayed?

Thank you for you help as I decide how to pack.

BJFly
FWIW, I have checked bags through that included a 20-hour connection and had no issues.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With AA they generally won’t check through on connections longer than 12 hours. Every once in a while I hear about exceptions, but not usually.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA's rule is connections greater than 12 hours (doesn't matter whether overnight or not), they won't check through. The exceptions are rare as it's generally a computer says no situation. I wouldn't want to leave my bags in the system at MIA for more than 12 hours anyways.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:32 pm

I just had a flight that was AUS -> LHR -> HEL -> DEL with a 22 hour layover in Helsinki. They checked our bags all the way through with no problem. Flight was ticketed through AA but on British and Finnair but that did not pose any issues.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by unregistered1
I just had a flight that was AUS -> LHR -> HEL -> DEL with a 22 hour layover in Helsinki. They checked our bags all the way through with no problem. Flight was ticketed through AA but on British and Finnair but that did not pose any issues.
But, in this scenario, AA wasn't in HEL, so that is not the same as what AA does with your bags involving a connection in the US. That said, I would much rather have my bags spend 22 hours in HEL than any time at MIA. I once easily made a 40 minute connection SVO-HEL-JFK. Not possible if connecting in the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.