Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions about Wyndham Rewards Offers - points or miles?

Old Jan 24, 09, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I am going to be staying in a Wyndham hotel basically every week from now til end of May. I am currently not a ByRequest Rewards member but will be joining and booking the hotel today.

1) Are there any promotions that give you an initial set of points for joining? I couldn't find any.

2) Any referral sites like Amex BonusPointsMall or ebates/fatwallet that give you points for clicking through them or using a certain credit card?

3) Do you guys earn points or miles? I'd be earning a lot less per dollar but I think I might go with airline miles...

4) There seem to be 2 offers going on right now - one is 30% off and $100 gift card if you use your Amex (which expires in 6mths) and the other is double points or miles. When I tried looking online it seems to give you the rack rate for those which is much much higher than rates most people can get. Do you know if you can get your discounted rate, AAA rate, or corp rate and still be eligible for these offers or no? Wonder if it's better to just call the reservations number and see if they can do it or try and do it online.

5) If you were going to be living in the same hotel for basically 5 months straight (minus weekends) would you ask for any comps after a while? I wonder what I could even ask for. My team is going to be giving that hotel a LOT of business.

Thanks guys!!!
Old Jan 24, 09, 10:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan P
I can only answer 3. Miles.
Old Jan 24, 09, 10:45 am

As far as I know, AAA or corp rates won't affect your promotional offers. Which hotel will you be staying at? If it's an actual Wyndham/Wyndham Garden Inn property (not Super 8/Days Inn/Etc) there's no need to ask for comps. After three nights, your ByRequest benefits kick in. Free snacks and drinks, wifi, etc. I've always found Wyndham's ByRequest managers to be especially helpful and friendly.

I always opt for the airline miles.
Old Jan 24, 09, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skaven View Post
I can only answer 3. Miles.
haha thanks. i'm going to go for miles as well

I did find something interesting - you earn 500 miles per stay or 10points per dollar. BUT you can transfer points for miles. 8000 points = 3200 miles for US Airways so it might be better to do points and just transfer everything to miles.

e.g. a couple night stay of $300 would give you 500 miles or 3,000 points and if you did a point transfer that would equate to 1200 miles (but you have to wait for increments of 8k)

Last edited by 5.9LITRE; Jan 24, 09 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 24, 09, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Are there any downsides to going for points and then doing the points to miles transfer? Seems to be even sweeter since you can get a double points/miles offer right now.

The double points/miles offer says it only allows 4 offers in the promotional period (darn!) and I haven't been able to get the Amex $100 card one to work with my negotiated rate - even when I just select AAA it makes the promo go away. Oh well.
Old Feb 4, 09, 9:05 am
Original Poster

So yeah...still waiting for my points/miles to post for past reservations and the byrequest website doesn't show any stay history either. I booked directly through Wyndham's site and ensured I was logged in with my Rewards and ByRequest profile numbers.

Guess there is a reason there are thousands more Marriotts and Hiltons around...
Old Feb 4, 09, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=5.9LITRE;11135219]Are there any downsides to going for points and then doing the points to miles transfer? Seems to be even sweeter since you can get a double points/miles offer right now.QUOTE]

An up side...you end up with more miles, with or without the promotion, if you convert your points to miles vs taking the miles out right. At least that's the way its working for my stays.
Old Mar 3, 09, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
No fun for AS.... looks like its points

Search this Thread