Cendant to manage Wyndhams

Old Sep 21, 05, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Cendant to manage Wyndhams

Noted in the USA Today newspaper today. Cendant has purchased the rights to manage Wyndhams and brand future hotels as Wyndhams. Cendant is better known as the owner of Days Inn, Ramada Inns, and Travelodge. Their loyalty program is TripRewards.
Old Sep 22, 05, 9:39 am

I guess they will use the Wyndham hotels as their premier brand.

God help any company that has Ramada Inns as part of its makeup...
Old Sep 22, 05, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Oh, man, that is terrible news for the Wyndham brand. Cendant is horrible. Their hotel brands are absolute last-resort options for any experienced traveler. I hate this news because I've liked the few Wyndhams I've stayed in, but from now on will treat them like typhoid wards.
Old Sep 27, 05, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Thumbs down

I have to agree, what horrible news for Wyndham. Thanks to the unique loyalty program structure, at least no one has banked a pile of ByRequest "points" to be degraded by the new management "style" for Wyndham.

"Sorry Mr. SlowTrekker, we seem to have no record of your confirmed Wyndham suite reservation, but we have plenty of space across the road at our Travelodge sister property....or perhaps you'd enjoy receiving a complementary presentation on the benefits of vacation ownership while we straighten all this out?"

Full link to story at: http://www.cendant.com/media/pr/pres...orporate/11912

Last edited by SlowTrekker; Sep 27, 05 at 6:44 pm
Old Sep 27, 05, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by SlowTrekker
I have to agree, what horrible news for Wyndham. Thanks to the unique loyalty program structure, at least no one has banked a pile of ByRequest "points" to be degraded by the new management "style" for Wyndham.

"Sorry Mr. SlowTrekker, we seem to have no record of your confirmed Wyndham suite reservation, but we have plenty of space across the road at our Travelodge sister property....or perhaps you'd enjoy receiving a complementary presentation on the benefits of vacation ownership while we straighten all this out?"

Full link to story at: http://www.cendant.com/media/pr/pres...orporate/11912
I have yet to have a good experience at a Wine dam -- (any pun intended) --
a change in management can't make thinks any worse.

Bob H
Old Sep 27, 05, 11:18 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I had two fairly good stays at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza in Philly approx. 1 year ago. Before the Cendant announcement, I would consider Wyndham in the future if I wasn't such a Marriott guy. Cendant has a bottom of the barrel connotation for lodging for me. Only exception for me is Wingate Inn's. I have had limited but postive experiences with them. Only time will tell, but I think this will turn out to be bad news for the Wyndham brand.

--Jon

P.S. My employer's travel agent use Travelport for the online web portal. I am not terriblely impressed with it either. Ditto on AVIS customer service. Have had not so great experiences with them so far.

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Sep 27, 05 at 11:25 pm
Old Sep 28, 05, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I had two fairly good stays at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza in Philly approx. 1 year ago. Before the Cendant announcement, I would consider Wyndham in the future if I wasn't such a Marriott guy. Cendant has a bottom of the barrel connotation for lodging for me. Only exception for me is Wingate Inn's. I have had limited but postive experiences with them. Only time will tell, but I think this will turn out to be bad news for the Wyndham brand.

--Jon

P.S. My employer's travel agent use Travelport for the online web portal. I am not terriblely impressed with it either. Ditto on AVIS customer service. Have had not so great experiences with them so far.
I used that one a couple of months ago -- aside from the fact

1) it took 20 minutes to check in,

2) they had the wrong rate,

3) long waits to get coffee at breakfast, and

4) and they left a message for one member of our party to pick up some mail and after a 15-20 minute wait in line they told him the mail was for some one else

It was fine. Next time I'll use the Marriot or Hilton Garden Inn.

Bob H
Old Sep 28, 05, 1:13 pm

Henry Silverman can now financially rape Wyndham and run that brand into the ground, just as he did with his other brands.

There are about 300 less HoJo's today than when Cendant purchased the franchise. Ramada once competed with Holiday Inn and now is placed in a category with Days Inn.

Unbelievable!
Old Sep 29, 05, 12:39 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Having dealt on a number of occasions with Cendant hotels customer service (submitting claims for for their best rate guarantee), I can honestly say it is the BEST customer service of any hotel chain. They've responded to me via e-mail in as little as one hour and never more than 5 hours during business hours. I've never had service like that from Hilton, Wyndham or any other chain. This will certainly be a step up when it comes to Wyndham customer service which is poor at best.
Old Sep 29, 05, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Having dealt on a number of occasions with Cendant hotels customer service (submitting claims for for their best rate guarantee), I can honestly say it is the BEST customer service of any hotel chain. They've responded to me via e-mail in as little as one hour and never more than 5 hours during business hours. I've never had service like that from Hilton, Wyndham or any other chain. This will certainly be a step up when it comes to Wyndham customer service which is poor at best.
You made a very good point. I woudl concur that their customer service is one of the better one's out there considering their economy and lower mid-market target audience. With that said, I've never had anything but problems with their Triprewards points posting. With one exception, I have had to call in order to straighten the points situation out. During my last two stays, Continental Airlines stepped up to the bat becuase of the numerous complaints they receieve from members regarding Cendant points not posting to airline accounts.
Old Sep 30, 05, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by TTT103
Ramada once competed with Holiday Inn and now is placed in a category with Days Inn.
You know, that's perfectly true. 25 years ago Ramada and Holiday Inn were the two mid-priced business-and-leisure chains you thought of first. Now Ramada is [email protected] Days Inn, though, is worse than [email protected] -- the one chain I will sleep in the car before staying at.
Old Oct 1, 05, 1:54 am

I work for avis, A cendant company. I dont like this news either. Or rather I have mixed feelings. I like having discounts at Wyndham. But I refuse to stay at any Cendant hotel as they are currently operating. Granted an eye on the bottom line is important. But some brands need looser reigns than others. Also using the cookie cutter approach to ALL brands owned by the same company is just wrong. Avis and budget are starting to grow together in how they are operated. My worst fear is that Cendant will do to Avis what Cendant did to Ramada (doesnt bode well for Wyndham).
Old Oct 1, 05, 2:04 am

As a member of the Avis Management Team, I welcome your input, please msg me or post in the avis section.

I gotta use travelport when I travel. Im not impressed either. I personally end up using Cheaptickets (a cendant brand as well) instead as I almost always get better rates, better selection, and infintely more SALES PITCHES.

Sometimes I wonder about my bretheren in the other Cendant brands.

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman

--Jon

Old Oct 14, 05, 8:09 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Plat.(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
brookfield, wi Wynd now Doubletree

I stayed @ the Doubletree in Brookfield/MKE, WI this week. It was hard to find as the sign was a temp. banner.

The front dest said they just changed over from Wyndham the day before!

Nice hotel & now w/ cookies at check-in. Scored a great AAA rate.

For me its a win win as this is a nice property & it's now part of the HHonors program.

WT

P.S. There was a Wall Street Journal ad/ promo w/ this property listed as part of the fall rate promo for Wyndham!! Somebody in marketing missed the memo.
Old Oct 15, 05, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by CalItalian
I too have submitted many claims (I love their guarantee!) - and usually Geneva Hagan or William Main respond with in their promised 4 hour time frames & usually with the approval. But - I've been given conflicting information from them regarding the number of times you can use a BPG at a single hotel - and I've been denied a claim - only to resubmit it later & get it approved by the other person. I always have back-up (screen shots, etc) that I'm willing to send them & have had to do this twice as proof - and once had to walk them through the booking process. I wouldn't necessarily measure Cendant's level customer service by 2-3 employees that validate the best price guarantees within their promised 4 business hours time frame. William & Geneva do a good job - yes - but Cendant's got a ton of other issues with its customer service - most of, however, is a the property level & not the corporate level. I've had some mischarges on Avis statements & the Avis (Cendant) customer service people have refused to refund me the money & are only willing to give me vouchers for future use - I don't think that should be the answer - especially when they agree that its wrong.

Search this Thread