Peninsula Excelsior Singapore

Old Apr 14, 2024, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Peninsula Excelsior Singapore

Researching using some points in Singapore, and came across the Peninsula Excelsior. Seems to be a bargain at only 15k points/night. It appears to be undergoing a renovation as well. Location seems amazing and the points per night is cheaper than some dives in Los Angeles. Anyone with experience at this property?
Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beetles
Researching using some points in Singapore, and came across the Peninsula Excelsior. Seems to be a bargain at only 15k points/night. It appears to be undergoing a renovation as well. Location seems amazing and the points per night is cheaper than some dives in Los Angeles. Anyone with experience at this property?
Nope, but I have a reservation there in late summer, because I'll be in Singapore and the place looks like a steal compared to making an award reservation with any other chain. Strangely, they claimed on the reservation page my award reservation is non-refundable, which is bizarre for Wyndham. I suspect that it's not true, but I sure hope my plans don't change and I have to figure that out.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
It looks average to me. Summer rates are about $240 USD after tax, a good redemption for Wyndham but Tripadvisor reviews are mixed, with quite a few mentioning it being outdated. Good location tho.

Last edited by italdesign; Apr 25, 2024 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
It looks average to me. Summer rates are about $240 USD after tax, a good redemption for Wyndham but Tripadvisor reviews are mixed, with quite a few mentioning it being outdated. Good location tho.
Good enough for me. For 13,500 points with my Wyndham Earner card, I'm not expecting the Raffles (which is about 2 blocks away). From what I saw, this blows away any other hotel award redemption in Singapore. The hotel is even completing a renovation.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 8:17 am

Yes, Singapore continues to suck in redemption value. It is the place I've spent the most time yet I have never used hotel points. I have some FNCs expiring so used them for my upcoming trip (not the best uses by far, but this isn't a FNC-maximizing year). I agree this is one of the best redemption values in town.

I was just commenting that 1) the hotel has poor reviews in a city with lots of well-reviewed properties; 2) for a Wyndham redemption, it's good but not great.
iahphx likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by italdesign
Yes, Singapore continues to suck in redemption value. It is the place I've spent the most time yet I have never used hotel points. I have some FNCs expiring so used them for my upcoming trip (not the best uses by far, but this isn't a FNC-maximizing year). I agree this is one of the best redemption values in town.

I was just commenting that 1) the hotel has poor reviews in a city with lots of well-reviewed properties; 2) for a Wyndham redemption, it's good but not great.
Even as a Wyndham Diamond, I assume I'll have to pay for breakfast? I assume free breakfast with your room isn't generally "a thing" in Singapore. That would be about the other thing I'd miss at this property vs. redeeming points at a fancier chain hotel where I'd get a free "status" breakfast.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
Even as a Wyndham Diamond, I assume I'll have to pay for breakfast? I assume free breakfast with your room isn't generally "a thing" in Singapore. That would be about the other thing I'd miss at this property vs. redeeming points at a fancier chain hotel where I'd get a free "status" breakfast.
I can relay what the Bangkok hotel told me: no breakfast or lounge, basically zero benefits for Diamond. A shame but doesn't bother me as there is ample cheap good food in big Asian cities. Singapore is my favorite food city in the world - love me some kaya toast and teh tarik for <$5.

In my early travel days, I used to love Asian breakfast buffets. More recently however, they've all disappointed me as my culinary experience broadens. For example, between my first and 2nd time at Conrad Centennial (3-4 years in between), the breakfast became not nearly as enjoyable (still great by hotel standards), and I don't think it was just the quality. The free buffet at Hyatt Regency Kuantan had tons of choice, but none tasted good. It felt like a chore to sit thru (hard to say no to free food, but no longer stuffing myself). I would rather have something tasty on the street for a few bucks.
iahphx likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.