Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booked a room from Hotel Website that is really a Timeshare

Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:14 pm
SBT
Original Poster

After Booking a Room on the Wyndham Rewards website, at the LaGuardia South Queens only to find out its now a migrant shelter. (No one from Wyndham Notified me)! On the Wyndham Rewards website I booked a 4 night stay at Club Wyndham Manhattan. (Seemed to be the only decent hotel for 15,000 points per night). Turns out Club Wyndham is a timeshare and your expected to sit through a presentation. Does this make sense? Anyone else experience a similar situation. Thanks,
SBT
Old Apr 11, 2024, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by SBT
After Booking a Room on the Wyndham Rewards website, at the LaGuardia South Queens only to find out its now a migrant shelter. (No one from Wyndham Notified me)! On the Wyndham Rewards website I booked a 4 night stay at Club Wyndham Manhattan. (Seemed to be the only decent hotel for 15,000 points per night). Turns out Club Wyndham is a timeshare and your expected to sit through a presentation. Does this make sense? Anyone else experience a similar situation. Thanks,
SBT
Are you sure that you still need to sit through the presentation if it is a revenue (money) or points stay? I don't have any experience with Wyndham, but I've stayed at Hilton Grand Vacation and IHG's Holiday Inn Club Vacations properties and have only gone to the presentations when they were comping the stays because of attending the presentation.

If you are paying for the stay via points or money, I would definitely dispute your obligation to attend the presentation. I also don't want to tell you how to spend your vacation, but if they offered to refund the 60,000 points ($600+ in value) to attend a 1-2 hour presentation, I might go for it.

You have a good backstory to dissuade any pushy sales person...."I'm only staying here because it was the only alternative to being in a homeless shelter.....I don't want to purchase a timeshare..."

I've done Hilton's HGV presentations twice and was extremely jovial and patient with the sales people....One of them actually had a compelling backstory of having a relationship with Mohammad Ali as a child and he was a good speaker. I think the sales people mistook my politeness and willingness to ask questions as general interest...It was only when they realized I was absolutely not going to bite that they showed irritation and dropped me like a hot potato. Regardless, good luck.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Apr 12, 2024 at 8:18 am
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SBT
Turns out Club Wyndham is a timeshare and your expected to sit through a presentation. Does this make sense? Anyone else experience a similar situation. Thanks,
SBT
I think it's unusual for a property to require you to sit through their presentation if you're there on points or cash. At IHG's Holiday Inn Club Vacations resorts, for example, they offer you additional compensation to sit through a two or three hour spiel. They will hard sell that offer at check-in and call you throughout your stay but there's no actual requirement for you to attend.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by wm47
I think it's unusual for a property to require you to sit through their presentation if you're there on points or cash. At IHG's Holiday Inn Club Vacations resorts, for example, they offer you additional compensation to sit through a two or three hour spiel. They will hard sell that offer at check-in and call you throughout your stay but there's no actual requirement for you to attend.
What additional compensation were you offered? I recently stayed at Holiday Inn Desert Club resort in Vegas. Had a great stay and never went over to their desk to see what I could get....LOL!
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:32 am
SBT
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Reservation isn't until June. What I understand is when I check in it will go through a marketing desk, who will offer incentives to attend a presentation. Prior reviews state they are very aggressive salespeople who refuse to take no.
What worries me is when I booked the Wyndham LGA South Hotel with points and later checked other dates for a second reservation the website showed none available. The hotel or Wyndham never contacted me. Calling the hotel revealed they are now a migrant hotel and not honoring any reservations. Club Wyndham is doing the same thing. I booked the reservation through the Wyndham Rewards web site. Not showing any availability anytime throughout the year. Will see what happens. This is the only decent hotel in NYC that you can still redeem for 15,000 points per night. All others including some one star Wyndham properties are now 30,000 points.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by SBT
Thanks for your reply. Reservation isn't until June. What I understand is when I check in it will go through a marketing desk, who will offer incentives to attend a presentation. Prior reviews state they are very aggressive salespeople who refuse to take no.
What worries me is when I booked the Wyndham LGA South Hotel with points and later checked other dates for a second reservation the website showed none available. The hotel or Wyndham never contacted me. Calling the hotel revealed they are now a migrant hotel and not honoring any reservations. Club Wyndham is doing the same thing. I booked the reservation through the Wyndham Rewards web site. Not showing any availability anytime throughout the year. Will see what happens. This is the only decent hotel in NYC that you can still redeem for 15,000 points per night. All others including some one star Wyndham properties are now 30,000 points.
Please be sure to update your experience in June. I'm curious because I normally stay at the Wyndham New Yorker, because of its proximity to Penn Station, but, as you said, it's 30,000. If your experience at Club Wyndham Manhattan isn't terrible, I may try it some time.

When I attended my first HGV presentation in Las Vegas, I did it specifically to put myself in a situation where I would have to be assertive and say NO. After all, I don't want to get stuck with a timeshare when, if you really want one, you can purchase on the secondary market for much cheaper.

If you check into Club Wyndham Manhattan and politely decline their offers several times, don't take the incentive, and they still charge your credit card, I would think it would be pretty easy to dispute the charges with Visa/MC/Amex.

"Thanks for helping me check-in.....I really appreciate and know you are just doing your job, but my time in the city is extremely limited and I am not able to attend your presentation at this time..."

I recently interviewed someone for a grad class I was taking. There are a lot of Apple/Android apps that will turn your phone into a tape recorder. Use one of those to record the face to face conversation if you are really concerned they may be unethical. I don't even think you have to tell them you are recording, as that may escalate the situation. I would just use it in case of a credit card dispute. When I was doing my interview, they knew I was recording and I had their permission. Phones can do so much nowadays. Good Luck.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:04 pm
SBT
Original Poster

Will do. Small chance I may cancel. If I forget please send me a reminder on June 7. Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:36 pm
SBT
Original Poster

Part II. As it stands now, you will not be able to reserve the Club Wyndham via the Wyndham Hotel or any other hotel booking service. My guess is either during slow season they allow booking through the hotel website or too many people complained and that ability was discontinued. I just happen to reserve the last room "under the wire".

SBT
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
What additional compensation were you offered? I recently stayed at Holiday Inn Desert Club resort in Vegas. Had a great stay and never went over to their desk to see what I could get....LOL!
In February they offered us a $150 Amex gift card or alternatively IHG points. I don't remember how many points but it was low. I want to say around 20k. It was a quick conversation, we declined and no one called us during the 4 days we were there.

I always express zero interest in attending a presentation from the outset and have had pretty much the same experiences at Worldmark/Club Wyndham properties. Maybe if you give them a glimmer of hope, they keep hounding you, lol.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
It's never anything all that worthwhile, and I've never taken them up on it. At Orange Lake, for example, it was some mix of arcade credit/rock wall climbs/mini golf admission -- the sort of leisure stuff they upcharge you for.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I stayed at Club Wyndham Bali Hai Villas in Princeville, Kauai on Cash + Points. It was a very good deal compared to all of the other hotels in the area. They offered me to sit through a timeshare presentation at checkin. I slightly considered it but the agenda was really packed (leisure trip) and the time slots were middle of the day which meant that we would waste half a day. Wasn't worth it for me, but perhaps if I was there and just hanging out. The offer was a couple free nights at a Wyndham, but they were mostly domestic properties and I had little to no interest in the locations offered. Attached is the list:

Old Apr 22, 2024, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I've stayed in a few "timeshare" hotels I've booked on Wyndham using my points. With the severe price cap on Vacasa bookings now, these would be great alternatives to Wyndham's own (usually lackluster) hotel choices. While, obviously, the quality differs from property to property, none of them have been below solid 3-star facilities, and some are arguably 5 star.

The biggest problem I've had is identifying -- and booking -- these properties, which go by different names like "Club Wyndham" and "Shell Vacations." They sometimes appear on their website search engine, and they sometimes have rooms available. I believe they charge 15,000 points per bedroom, but I'm not entirely sure this is uniform.

I have NOT been made to attend a timeshare presentation. Sometimes one has not even been offered to me, even though they typically have a procedure where you have to pick up your key at a "concierge desk" where you're EXPECTING to be given a sales pitch to attend a time share presentation. When the subject of timeshare ownership has come up, it's been generally easy to bat away the inquiry. I've had only one relatively-persistent employee try to get me to attend a presentation (that was in Wanaka, NZ) and even then it was only mildly annoying.

Let us know if anyone gets more grief. For right now, I'm actually looking to stay in MORE of their timeshare properties, as I think they offer tremendous value if you can get them on Wyndham points. I've also stayed at the Bali Hai in Kauai for 15,000 points, and that was a crazy deal compared to the $600/night room rates they were charging. The request to attend a timeshare presentation that I got when I picked up my key from the concierge was extremely mild.
gudugan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, I just received an email this morning from Wyndham saying that they are now offering (apparently "some") Club Wyndhams for only 7500 points per night per bedroom. This would obviously be a steal if you could find availability. I don't see improved availability -- which has always been the big problem with their timeshare properties -- but for those who search, please tell us what you find.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...ions/locations

gudugan likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the severe price cap on Vacasa rentals ($250 per bedroom), I'm more interested in the "Club Wyndham" properties, which have no cap and are generally only 15,000 points per bedroom per night. For expensive places like Hawaii, this is a good deal. But availability at these properties is maddening. Does anyone know anything about when inventory is released? Obviously planning ahead is good. From what I can see, it doesn't seem like any 2025 inventory has been released. Is that true? Does anyone have any idea when they might release inventory? At the moment, fall of 2024 seems available.
Old Jun 5, 2024, 11:32 pm
SBT
Original Poster

Just stayed at the Club Wyndham. Very pleasantly surprised. Did not push me to attend a presentation, but still treated me like royalty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.