Wyndham -> Vacasa max redemption

Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI: you might not actually get a full $250 per room credit with Vacasa. I found a "unicorn" 1-bedroom house I wanted to stay that priced out at $742 for 3 nights on the Vacasa website. Hooray! But when I called Vacasa, they said it would be 30,000 points per night. I said "What the heck, it's pricing at $742, it should be 15,000 points." They said they could only go by what was in their system. They said they could "send a request to Vacasa" to see if they could change it -- but only if I went ahead and booked it at 30,000! Since I didn't even have 90000 points (less the Earner discount) in my account, I asked if I could get it for 15K/night if I extended my stay to 4 nights. She checked, and that worked.

It will be slightly inconvenient for me to stay 4 nights (I guess I could also stay for 3 and just eat the 4th night expense), but at least I got it done. I'm thinking of calling back before the 30-day cancellation penalty window and seeing if I can peel off a night and keep the 15K rate.

BTW, several months ago, when the cap was $500, I used the Vacasa website pricing to get precisely under the cap. I originally wanted to stay 5 nights at a Maui condo, but the Vacasa website priced it at about $502/night. When I added a 6th night, the price dropped to $499/night. The Wyndham agent's system showed the same thing, and I couldn't book 5 nights but I could book 6. Not sure why the systems now diverge, and if it will always diverge against the customer. I guess when it's relatively close, you'll have to call and find out.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
FYI: you might not actually get a full $250 per room credit with Vacasa. I found a "unicorn" 1-bedroom house I wanted to stay that priced out at $742 for 3 nights on the Vacasa website. Hooray! But when I called Vacasa, they said it would be 30,000 points per night. I said "What the heck, it's pricing at $742, it should be 15,000 points." They said they could only go by what was in their system. They said they could "send a request to Vacasa" to see if they could change it -- but only if I went ahead and booked it at 30,000! Since I didn't even have 90000 points (less the Earner discount) in my account, I asked if I could get it for 15K/night if I extended my stay to 4 nights. She checked, and that worked.

It will be slightly inconvenient for me to stay 4 nights (I guess I could also stay for 3 and just eat the 4th night expense), but at least I got it done. I'm thinking of calling back before the 30-day cancellation penalty window and seeing if I can peel off a night and keep the 15K rate.

BTW, several months ago, when the cap was $500, I used the Vacasa website pricing to get precisely under the cap. I originally wanted to stay 5 nights at a Maui condo, but the Vacasa website priced it at about $502/night. When I added a 6th night, the price dropped to $499/night. The Wyndham agent's system showed the same thing, and I couldn't book 5 nights but I could book 6. Not sure why the systems now diverge, and if it will always diverge against the customer. I guess when it's relatively close, you'll have to call and find out.
See the Frequent Miler blog and maybe message Greg to check with Wyndham. This happened to a couple of other people also but is not supposed to be happening per Wyndham.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.