Wingate - Lake Powell, Arizona

Old May 25, 2021, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver, American Airlines Platinum
Wingate - Lake Powell, Arizona

Overall, pretty disappointing property. This may be a budget-friendly hotel, but overall this was a pretty mediocre experience. Unless your are short on cash, stick to the Marriott that is situated nearby. The area was beautiful, but I felt like it should be necessary to warn other guests who may be considering staying here.

When I checked into my reservation late in the evening, the receptionist was not wearing a mask. The next morning, the same receptionist was performing tasks throughout the lobby without a mask. Another receptionist was also with her, mask less. They also made no effort to enforce the mask policy for other guests using the self-serve breakfast area. The breakfast area also contained many high touch areas, waffle maker, bagel/toast cabinet, fridge, ect, and no hand sanitizer or warning signage was in place to mitigate the risk of transmission.

From observing the staff and hotel policies in place, no one would have ever known there was an ongoing global pandemic. I understand that there is always a risk in traveling, however effectively enforced policies can make a huge difference in the overall safety of their guests. It was disappointing and outright frustrating, especially when such measures are promised prior to booking. Even now, the Wyndham webpage says that COVID policies are in effect at all US properties.

On another note, the receptionist that checked me in did not recognize my Diamond elite status level, or benefits. When I requested a suite upgrade if one was available, she informed me that there was one available but she would have to charge the upgrade fee and that the free upgrades were handled by “corporate”. I informed her that from my past experiences the front desk handled these sort of upgrades. However, she said could not place me in a suite for free and that I should call Wyndham. Obviously, this was wrong - but I was tired at 4 hours of driving so I declined the upgrade for a fee and just proceeded with my originally booked room. After checking her computer, she informed me that my booked room was oversold and that she was bumping me into the suite I requested for free. It appears she had the capability and authority to provide me with my elite benefit, but chose not to in an attempt to squeeze extra money from me. She outright lied to me about not being able to place me in a complimentary upgraded room.

Aside from that, our suite had a smell of sewage emanating from the shower drain. The hallway smelled off as well. Toiler flusher was also broken and needed repair. Overall, this place was cheap - but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

I know this is a budget friendly hotel, but that is unacceptable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.