4 year expiration

Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

4 year expiration

Has Wyndham extended the 4 year “absolute” expiration on unused points?
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by curunir
As someone who spends a significant amount of time in hotel rooms, let me say that I absolutely HATE Wyndham because of this expiration policy. I have been burning my Wyndham Rewards points as fast as I could over the last few years, and had a few hundred thousand remaining that were slated to expire in October-December of 2020. I had planned to use those points this past spring until COVID hit and travel came to a halt. Accordingly, all of my travel had to be cancelled, and I was hoping that Wyndham would step up, as nearly all other hotel companies did to extend point expiration. However, all that Wyndham did was extend expiration until September 30th. I phoned and appealed to their loyalty department, but they would not budge. They even thanked me for my loyalty, as they saw the number of nights I stayed annually at Wyndhams. At that point, I ended up booking a multi-week trip to burn my remaining points.

I will never step foot in a Wyndham again.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by curunir
No, not unless it's perhaps a trivial amount for some as part of the couple month "hold" on expirations recently due to Covid.

The common term for what you call "absolute" expiration is "hard expiration". ("Soft expiration" is expiration you can easily reset with at least some forms of "activity". "Hard expiration" is expiration you can't reset with normal things like "activity".)

How many points do you have hard expiring when? If no more than 30,000 expiring this year, you can "reset" the hard 4 year expiration by transferring that much to Ceaser's Total Rewards and then later transferring back to Wyndham Rewards. Then the same amount again the next year if you need it. That's currently the only known way to reset the "hard expiration" of Wyndham Rewards points. (There was an even better way right before Wyndham merged with La Quinta, because there was no limit on transferring to La Quinta Rewards and back. But that's gone now.)
Old Sep 28, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TTT103
As someone who spends a significant amount of time in hotel rooms, let me say that I absolutely HATE Wyndham because of this expiration policy. I have been burning my Wyndham Rewards points as fast as I could over the last few years, and had a few hundred thousand remaining that were slated to expire in October-December of 2020. I had planned to use those points this past spring until COVID hit and travel came to a halt. Accordingly, all of my travel had to be cancelled, and I was hoping that Wyndham would step up, as nearly all other hotel companies did to extend point expiration. However, all that Wyndham did was extend expiration until September 30th. I phoned and appealed to their loyalty department, but they would not budge. They even thanked me for my loyalty, as they saw the number of nights I stayed annually at Wyndhams. At that point, I ended up booking a multi-week trip to burn my remaining points.

I will never step foot in a Wyndham again.
They extended it to December 31, 2020.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/about-us/faq-covid-19

It was quietly updated on the linked page on Sept. 17 and many of the frontline agents are still telling members that their points will expire on 9/30, I asked to speak to a supervisor who told me that the points will have their expiration extended on 9/30...it seems they are trying to get people to dump as many points as possible now when the hotels definitely won't be full.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
They extended it to December 31, 2020.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/about-us/faq-covid-19

It was quietly updated on the linked page on Sept. 17 and many of the frontline agents are still telling members that their points will expire on 9/30, I asked to speak to a supervisor who told me that the points will have their expiration extended on 9/30...it seems they are trying to get people to dump as many points as possible now when the hotels definitely won't be full.
Thanks for clarifying the expiration date. You are likely correct in as much as that Wyndham seems to want everyone to burn their points.The expiration extension through the end of the year would have done little for me, as my points would have expired on December 31 rather than gradually from October through December. As I said, I'm done with Wyndham. Henry Silverman ran nearly every brand he acquired into the ground .The only reason I stayed with Wyndham was because of the award redemption possibility at their Viva Wyndham all inclusive properties until they pulled the plug on that.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying the expiration date. You are likely correct in as much as that Wyndham seems to want everyone to burn their points.The expiration extension through the end of the year would have done little for me, as my points would have expired on December 31 rather than gradually from October through December. As I said, I'm done with Wyndham. Henry Silverman ran nearly every brand he acquired into the ground .The only reason I stayed with Wyndham was because of the award redemption possibility at their Viva Wyndham all inclusive properties until they pulled the plug on that.
As was noted above.............you can sign up for Caesars rewards account online then transfer 30K to CET and then transfer them back to Wyndham with a new 4 year expiration............better than nothing and if the new covid rules go in to 2021 you can transfer another 30K

You can also match your Wyndham Diamond status to Caesars Diamond.

If you don't have this email trying sending a message asking for an extension, this is the email from when the 15K rooms ended, they gave every one of our accounts at least 15k free points

[email protected]

Personally I transfer all of my Wyndham point to CET but I realize that may not work for everyone

https://www.caesars.com/a/security/register.aspx

https://www.caesars.com/myrewards/pa...yndham_resorts
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
As was noted above.............you can sign up for Caesars rewards account online then transfer 30K to CET and then transfer them back to Wyndham with a new 4 year expiration............better than nothing and if the new covid rules go in to 2021 you can transfer another 30K

You can also match your Wyndham Diamond status to Caesars Diamond.

If you don't have this email trying sending a message asking for an extension, this is the email from when the 15K rooms ended, they gave every one of our accounts at least 15k free points

[email protected]

Personally I transfer all of my Wyndham point to CET but I realize that may not work for everyone

https://www.caesars.com/a/security/register.aspx

https://www.caesars.com/myrewards/pa...yndham_resorts
I did try going through Eliot, but no luck. The challenge with Caesar's is the 30K limit. I had around 380K points that were expiring.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:10 pm

I did try going through Eliot, but no luck. The challenge with Caesar's is the 30K limit. I had around 380K points that were expiring.
You can always t redeem for gift cards if the trip you booked is not something you really want............not sure if there is a yearly limit

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...H%3AREDEEMMORE
Old Sep 29, 2020, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
You can always t redeem for gift cards if the trip you booked is not something you really want............not sure if there is a yearly limit

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...H%3AREDEEMMORE
I did look at the gift card route, but ended up finding some really good value on a trip through the national parks. We had no complaints other than for the complete disregard for COVID safety by a number of hotels that we stayed at. That's a whole other story.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:23 pm
RNE

I have 47,845 points.
2,715 expire on 01/31/2022.
If I book a room with 15,000 points, will the expiring points be used for that or not?
Old Dec 29, 2021, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RNE
I have 47,845 points.
2,715 expire on 01/31/2022.
If I book a room with 15,000 points, will the expiring points be used for that or not?
Yes. First in (for earning), first out (for redemption). Automatically.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:17 am
RNE

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks. Booked.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but what happens when that booking is later modified or cancelled?

I've been told that in that case points that would be past their expiry date are promptly removed from the account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.