Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

How do you ask for diamond upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I'm curious how some of you seasoned travelers ask/inform the hotel that as a diamond member your are supposed to get some upgrade or better room? I'm new to diamond and the first time I tried they looked at me like I was crazy and said they had never heard of it. Granted, this was at a Super 8 in the middle of nowhere so I didn't really expect much. I'm pretty sure all the rooms were the same anyway.

I'm checking in to The New Yorker in Manhattan next week and would love to hear any feedback/experiences specific to that hotel or just the diamond upgrades in general. fwiw, I think it's a slow time of year for traveling to NY (as slow as it gets anyway) so I'm hoping my diamond status is good for something. Thanks!
noneemac likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Okay, 113 views with no replies so I must have not asked this properly

How about this - if/what kinds of upgrades are you Wydham Diamond folks seeing? Is this even a perk that is worth anything?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm hoping my diamond status is good for something. Thanks!
In my experience, in all low-end programs (Wyndham Rewards, Choice Privileges, Best Western Rewards), the only useful benefits to higher status for most people are the extra points and perhaps early check-in.

At Wyndham Rewards, you don't get "upgrades to a better room" in general with Diamond, you only get:

"Suite upgrade at Participating Hotels, subject to availability, in connection with Qualified Stays, Go Free Award stays and Go Fast Award stays, in each case, booked by advance reservation. Availability is determined by Participating Hotel at check-in and is only applicable to the Member’s personal guest room. Suites are not available at all Participating Hotels."

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...ember-levels-3

So unless a hotel has suites available, there's no "upgrade" policy that applies to a Diamond at Wyndham Rewards.

In my experience in multiple low-end programs, hotels which you visit repeatedly are more likely to give you upgrades "to better rooms" on at least some of those stays, just because the hotel knows you, than you are to get an upgrade due to status in a low-end program at a hotel you're visiting for the first (and maybe only) time.

Low-end hotel programs are very different from the "major" hotel programs with regards to upgrades. (Though at least one "major" hotel program, IHG, doesn't generally define upgrades for earned status either!)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 11, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Some hotels do look at status. I booked Wyndham Grand in Pittsburgh for a weekend Pirates game ~a week in advance on points and was upgraded to a corner, river view, higher floor room 2 days before arrival.

It was my only upgrade in a Wyndham property this year but I'd been mostly in Hawthornes for ~6 months

It was also my only points booking this year and I just cashed the rest of them (~160k) in on Amazon gift cards

I can hear a few of you screaming at me...
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Upon checking in, ask if your Wyndham Diamond Status came through on the reservation. Most times they don’t pay attention to status. This not only makes them check to make sure your reservation is tied in with your account, but subtly notifies them of your status. Once they say yes it’s on here — ask them if they have any suites available for the dates of your stay. Don’t ask about upgrades. If they say yes, then basically say, great! I’d like a diamond upgrade. If they refute the ability to do it, politely and playfully remind the desk agent it’s policy and that while you don’t want to be a bother, you would be happy to have the diamond desk call the hotel if it would help you.

I travel two weeks a month for work, and always stay in Wyndham properties. Rarely do I get voluntarily upgraded, but if I’m friendly, remindful of my status and the policy, and play it right — I usually always get the upgrade.

Ive only once had to actually call the Diamond Desk — the Desk agent said she didn’t have the authority to do upgrades — so I called, immediately got a diamond concierge member who immediately called the hotel and instructed her to make the change.
noneemac, I3CuBeD, D3Kingg and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:47 pm

I've been fortunate at the New Yorker with upgrades as well as early check-in. My upgrade rate at the New Yorker is 90% over the past three years (9/10 stays). Earliest check-in 9:00 a.m.. Best upgrade - family terrace suite - outdoor terrace, 2 bathrooms. They also give you a goodie bag - water, nuts, chocolate.

Hallways, elevator area are creepy - art deco - reminds me of "The Shining." Midtown location unbeatable. On 34th and 8th. Diagonally across from Penn Station. 24-hour (pre-Covid) diner on ground floor that also provides room service. CVS across the street.
noneemac and I3CuBeD like this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Wyndham discontinued the status match for now.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I did it last week, glad I did, as I just missed the cut off.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:59 pm

I stayed at a Wyndham property recently. Wyndham Grand Yangon. They acknowledged my status then upgraded my stay from a standard king room to a suite. There was also a nice welcome amenity waiting (fruit dish).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 8:25 am

I feel like Wyndham and Grand seem to do a decent job in doing this. The lower level brands are going to be hit or miss, but I've "hit" much more recently than not, granted I have had to ask more than not. My most recent stays were all upgraded, I was pre-assigned a King Studio Suite (couch and separate whirlpool tub) at a Baymont on a reservation for a basic king room and asked and received upgrades to a deluxe (meaning a foldout couch and another TV) room at a very nice new LaQuinta in Orlando and to an actual suite (with separate living area) at a LaQuinta in the Nashville area. It's a shame they don't allow you to self upgrade for free when checking in via app, that said, the app check in seems pretty worthless at this point - certainly nothing like Hilton's.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I've been a Wyndham Diamond for a couple of years now and frankly I'm a bit disappointed, especially compared with ChoiceHotels where I am also a Diamond.

For starters, the front desk staff at Choice Hotels almost always acknowledge and thank me for my Diamond status. By comparison, the people working the various Wyndham front desks rarely ever mention it and to be honest, I don't think they care (or have been trained to care). I'm not a guy who needs to be fawned over, but the recognition is a nice touch for starters.

I say "for starters" because you are much more likely to be upgraded if the front desk staff care and are actually aware of your status and its commensurate perks.

At most Wyndham properties, you definitely have to ask to be upgraded and judging by the response I've often gotten to this request, it would seem that a lot of the front desk staff are unaware of it, and as such less likely to provide it. Typically Wyndham's higher end hotels (Wyndham Grand, Wyndham and Wyndham Garden) are better on this.

At ChoiceHotels, as a Diamond I have arrived to find that I have already been upgraded by the time I check in on a number of occasions.

Finally, on the whole I find ChoiceHotels properties - especially Comfort Suites, Quality Inn & Suites and Sleep Inns to be of a consistently higher standard than comparable Wyndham properties.

ChoiceHotels may cost a bit more on average, but the overall quality in both rooms, service and perks is worth the extra cost. Plus, I like the 60% point bonus I get as a Diamond.

Wyndham Hotels offers better deals on award nights.

I will go out of my way to maintain Diamond status with ChoiceHotels because they do more make it worth it to me. At the same time, although Diamond status doesn't really mean much with Wyndham, the program does offer a good variety of affordable options - especially when booking award nights. I'll continue to use them but as a Diamond level traveler in both programs, my preference is definitely ChoiceHotels.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I've been a Wyndham Diamond for a couple of years now and frankly I'm a bit disappointed, especially compared with ChoiceHotels where I am also a Diamond.

For starters, the front desk staff at Choice Hotels almost always acknowledge and thank me for my Diamond status. By comparison, the people working the various Wyndham front desks rarely ever mention it and to be honest, I don't think they care (or have been trained to care). I'm not a guy who needs to be fawned over, but the recognition is a nice touch for starters.

I say "for starters" because you are much more likely to be upgraded if the front desk staff care and are actually aware of your status and its commensurate perks.

At most Wyndham properties, you definitely have to ask to be upgraded and judging by the response I've often gotten to this request, it would seem that a lot of the front desk staff are unaware of it, and as such less likely to provide it. Typically Wyndham's higher end hotels (Wyndham Grand, Wyndham and Wyndham Garden) are better on this.

At ChoiceHotels, as a Diamond I have arrived to find that I have already been upgraded by the time I check in on a number of occasions.

Finally, on the whole I find ChoiceHotels properties - especially Comfort Suites, Quality Inn & Suites and Sleep Inns to be of a consistently higher standard than comparable Wyndham properties.

ChoiceHotels may cost a bit more on average, but the overall quality in both rooms, service and perks is worth the extra cost. Plus, I like the 60% point bonus I get as a Diamond.

Wyndham Hotels offers better deals on award nights.

I will go out of my way to maintain Diamond status with ChoiceHotels because they do more make it worth it to me. At the same time, although Diamond status doesn't really mean much with Wyndham, the program does offer a good variety of affordable options - especially when booking award nights. I'll continue to use them but as a Diamond level traveler in both programs, my preference is definitely ChoiceHotels.
I maintain status with both, because they're both great about promotion earnings - getting $30-$50 back on a $75 stay is great. Other than the small bonus earnings from that, neither status is worth much of anything in my book. I don't ask for upgrades and I'm not offered them. I'm with them for promotional earnings and redemptions. I jumped ship to Hyatt this winter because there were no ongoing promos to game. I'm already impressed, though I don't know if I'll stick with it after prices get back to normal.

Anyway, in my book, elite status with the dirt chains is mostly worthless. Stays with them are always a matter of cost, promos, or availability for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.