What to do with 2,000 points?

Old Dec 27, 19, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
What to do with 2,000 points?

I have 2,000 points about to expiry. I just want to use them up, any suggestions? Would have preferred to transfer to an airline, but need 6,000 minimum?
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, Choice DM, Wyndham DM, BW DM
Do you only have 2k points? or do you have more points and only 2k about to expire?

I'm curious if https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...ds/redeem/more works in CA

I was going to suggest a Doordash buy for a few hundred points to get you to 2200 for a Restaurant.com gift card, but I don't think it works in CA
Old Dec 29, 19, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
I have 2K that I don't intend on keeping active because I do not see myself earning much anymore, so the 4 year deadline is going to creep up on me. So best to use up the 2K in one shot. Doordash is US only. Good suggestion though.
Old Dec 29, 19, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pointshogger View Post
I have 2K that I don't intend on keeping active because I do not see myself earning much anymore, so the 4 year deadline is going to creep up on me. So best to use up the 2K in one shot. Doordash is US only. Good suggestion though.
But you never answer the more general question:

Originally Posted by Cyberian View Post
Ie, there are other things than Doordash on there, including charity donations starting at 500 points, at least for those of us in the USA..

And it's hard for us in the USA to know if in Canada only things that don't work are removed, or if other things that only work in Canada are added, or if the same list is there but some things just don't work in Canada.

Keep in mind that since you need 2200 points for a $25 gift card (if it worked), 2000 points is not worth all that much (for non-hotel redemptions), so you need to think about how much time you want to spend worrying about it.
Old Dec 30, 19, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But you never answer the more general question:
Keep in mind that since you need 2200 points for a $25 gift card (if it worked), 2000 points is not worth all that much (for non-hotel redemptions), so you need to think about how much time you want to spend worrying about it.
I have 2,000 overall only. Donating points is backup plan. Just wanted to see my options, thought I might have missed something.
Old Dec 31, 19, 2:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
"Go fast" redemptions (i.e. a discount on the rate) starts from 1,500 points at lower end properties.
Old Dec 31, 19, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer View Post
"Go fast" redemptions (i.e. a discount on the rate) starts from 1,500 points at lower end properties.
But be aware that for some dates at some properties, the cash portion of "Go fast" may not make any sense, compared to the all-cash rate. Plus good properties at the lowest rate are tricky to find in many places.
Old Dec 31, 19, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But be aware that for some dates at some properties, the cash portion of "Go fast" may not make any sense, compared to the all-cash rate. Plus good properties at the lowest rate are tricky to find in many places.
Exactly the problem. So far I'm only seeing 3,000 points+ for the properties that I want. Gonna need to expand my search.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: