FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards-430/)
-   -   Why All The Hate Towards Wyndham (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards/1990140-why-all-hate-towards-wyndham.html)

Will Stonehocker Oct 5, 19 3:03 pm

Why All The Hate Towards Wyndham

Given that Wyndham has more budget brands than mid-level, high-end, or luxurious brands, why y'all hating on the company? The only reason why the budget brands exist is if y'all are cheapskates or all the nicer as fudge places are booked up the rear end.

Global Adventurer Oct 5, 19 4:00 pm

My favorite budget hotel is Wyndham Baymont Inn. The one I go to everybody knows me now. However, my next trip will be at one of the Choice Hotel locations. Sorry Wyndham, but I'll be back! :(

Cyberian Oct 5, 19 6:56 pm

Since my work schedule usually puts me on a late swing/ early graveyard shift and sometimes 16+ hour days, most promotions like Choice's stay two get one or get gift card are just not feasible so my primary focus is price with amenities and points value for what I'm spending.

In Hartford CT, Hawthorn won hands down over Quality inn/Suites, Days Inn, Best Western, or Red Roof and from stays alone 'll be Wyndham Diamond for the next 5 years if I never stay in one again

In KC MO/KS, with *far* more extended stay options, IHG is winning my $ with a new property and rates comparable to Hawthorn. Great big new room and I almost always get the same parking spot. 1/2 the points of other IHG properties but it's fine and may well be "home" until Christmas. I can literally see the Bonvoy property right across the street from my jobsite at work, but my per-Diem can't justify the 2X expense of the short commute...

In Parsippany NJ, Wyndham's home town, I book Bonvoy because the Wyndhams are so bad and Bonvoys are within reason there

thunderdeacon Oct 5, 19 8:10 pm

I am happy that Wyndham exists; they offer decent point earning opportunities at inexpensive properties. I am a simple guy, and I don't mind a cheap property as long as it is reasonably clean and comfortable. That said, there is a huge range of quality and cleanliness within the Wyndham group. If one is not careful, they can end up in a really poor property at the budget end of things. I think that it is these poor experiences that give Wyndham a bad rap. If one is careful and looks at online reviews before booking, it is possible to get excellent value within this brand. I have stayed at Days/Super8/HOJO that were 80% as good as a Hampton/Comfort/Fairfield for less than half the price. The few times I have been disappointed have been when I didn't take the time to look at online reviews. I have had the same experience with lower-end choice properties. Ultimately, I have gravitated more towards the lower end choice properties due to the superior point earning potential there. But, it is not because there are not some great values within the Wyndham brand if one looks carefully.

Will Stonehocker Oct 6, 19 8:56 am

If y'all read online reviews correctly, you should be okay.

sdsearch Oct 6, 19 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 31596857)
Given that Wyndham has more budget brands than mid-level, high-end, or luxurious brands, why y'all hating on the company? The only reason why the budget brands exist is if y'all are cheapskates or all the nicer as fudge places are booked up the rear end.

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 31598466)
If y'all read online reviews correctly, you should be okay.

The problem with WyndhamRewards is that more of their budget brand locations are sub-par than not, while there are tons of them.

So if you already figured out which WyndhamRewards hotels you like in an area then it's not so bad (I have settled on one Super 8 which added a yogurt dispenser a year or two ago, and now I bring my own box of granola, and I feel i have a decent breakfast, which I've had way more trouble finding at most WyndhamRewards properties than at, say, Choice Hotels properties, where Comfort Inn reliably has hardboiled eggs, and Quality Inn almost reliably has skim milk (and I bring my own box of cereal in that case). (I don't like the texture of 2% milk, only skim milk. And it's too time-consuming to go out to a restaurant to eat breakfast instead of getting it at the hotel, when I'm already late for work.)

But when faced with dozens and dozens of Days Inns, Super 8s, Ramadas, and Howard Johnsons in an area, and knowing that most are pretty poor, it takes a lot of careful reading of reviews to figure which, if any, of them might suit you.

So Wyndham caring more about having lots of properties than what the standards are for those properties is part of the problem. It creates a lot of "noise" to sort through, so to speak.

By contrast, many of the budget brands with Choice Privileges have more consistent brand standards, so that's why in general I prefer Choice over Wynhdam for budget brands. (I also prefer Best Western for budget brands over Wyndham, perhaps simply because there's way fewer of them in most areas so way fewer reviews to carefully check, and because at least the Best Western Plus brand seems reliable for budget quality.)

jebr Oct 7, 19 9:22 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31600510)
The problem with WyndhamRewards is that more of their budget brand locations are sub-par than not, while there are tons of them.

[...]

So Wyndham caring more about having lots of properties than what the standards are for those properties is part of the problem. It creates a lot of "noise" to sort through, so to speak.

By contrast, many of the budget brands with Choice Privileges have more consistent brand standards, so that's why in general I prefer Choice over Wynhdam for budget brands.

This is what I've found as well. While I haven't had a ton of Choice stays yet, I've had some pretty mediocre experiences at Wyndham hotels, without a lot of true diamonds in the rough to make up for it. Their rewards program used to make up for that somewhat, but the recent changes paired with almost no bonus earning opportunities this year has written them off for me for the past few months. Choice, despite some issues I had with their credit card signup, so far has had decent hotels for their price point. As but one comparison, I stayed at a Baymont which seemed to be wearing quite a bit around the edges and looked to be poorly maintained (despite decent reviews.) Meanwhile, the Econo Lodge I stayed at a couple months ago, while pretty dated in terms of furnishings, was clean and appeared to be well-maintained.

I've also noticed similar issues when searching online for reviews - there's a lot of times where, despite having a dozen properties to choose from in the Wyndham portfolio, half or more have such poor reviews that I have to write them off. That percentage seems to grow to two-thirds or three-quarters on the budget end at times. Choice, on the other hand, seems to have maybe 15% of hotels (when I look) where the reviews look truly dreadful, with that going up to about a third to a half (on the high end) on the budget end. Thus, even with fewer properties, I still feel like I often have more properties to choose from with Choice or some other chains than with Wyndham.

flyer4512 Oct 7, 19 3:07 pm

I love Wyndham, free points and they transfer at 100 points to $1 at Caesars rewards.

For hotel stays we use IHG, Marriott, Hilton..

Will Stonehocker Oct 7, 19 5:51 pm

I think y'all have a point.

Elroy Jetson Oct 23, 19 3:37 pm

Trying to leave Wyndham Rewards

I stayed at Howard Johnston Denver West. Belligerent front desk, no respect to blind clients, no covers on room electrical sockets, entire first floor was smoked by cigarettes. Back door left propped open, trash everywhere and it smelled like cat poo. Breakfast area unattended, toaster directly under a electrical socket with everything on the table plugged into it - bread hits it when pops up! , no coffee and no attendant on duty, and all ice machines were inoperative or the front falls on my feet.
I called on the phone, spoke to their 'friendly' service for over an hour. They wrote two days later accusing me of breaking their ice machine.
They did not record my conversation and do not inspect their properties.
While many of their hotels may be OK or even 5 star, there are some that you need to drive around first before you walk in the door. Management is inconsistent or missing altogether and if their service over the phone is any indication, they really don't care, the customer does NOT come first.
There is no option on your membership profile to get out of their system.

davistev Oct 25, 19 1:32 am

"Planes, Trains and Automobiles" - Wyndham is the all American chain. Vibrating beds at the Super 8 in Kentucky, Brewed coffee from pots that are permanently stained brown and waffles for breakfast. God bless America and nobody else.

Y'all come back now!

TTT103 Oct 27, 19 7:18 pm

The reason I hate Wyndham is because Henry Silverman ran the brands into the ground. He had zero brand standards, and look what happened to some of the iconic brands such as Howard Johnson. Prior to Howard Johnson being acquired, it had the most number of hotels of any brand in the state of Florida. Today, there are fewer Howard Johnson hotels in the United States then there was in Florida right before Henry acquired the brand. Ramada is a whole other story, with a similarly sad ending.

then there was the financial scandal of years past.

Itís just a shady company, in my opinion. Look what they did to their rewards program earlier this year. While devaluations exist among other hotel companies, I know of no other that doubled the required number of points for some of their hotels, as Wyndham did.

rbAA Oct 27, 19 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 31596857)

If you have stayed at a number of Wyndham properties, you wouldn't have to ask. As others have mentioned, there are some worthy properties, but I won't risk staying at one that I haven't seen with my own eyes, as the reviews are complete BS in most cases. Or the reviewer is easily satisfied staying in some run down messed up place. I used Wyndham's on a driving trip cross country and will never do that again. Even one that I had been by a few times in FL that I tried one night was awful and not even worth their low price.

We're not talking about the Wyndham Grand, Tryp or most Wingates, which are nice enough, or their time share properties, which I used once for my younger son's wedding in No Cal. I do have some Microtels and Baymonts that I'll stay at in a pinch or when the budget requires it, but life is too short to stay at most Days Inn, Travelodges, or Super 8's.

sdsearch Oct 27, 19 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 31672321)
It’s just a shady company, in my opinion. Look what they did to their rewards program earlier this year. While devaluations exist among other hotel companies, I know of no other that doubled the required number of points for some of their hotels, as Wyndham did.

How long have you been following Wyndham?

The gimmick of all hotels always being 15k points only existed for a couple years. Before that, they had varying points even more than now. I stayed at a Travelodge in Canada that was 16000 points in 2013. I still have the confirmation email that explains that it was 16000 points because it was a "Free Night Level 5".

So before they had all hotels at 15k, they had many levels (I'm pretty sure it was more than 5, but I don't remember for sure).

So the 15k for all hotels was just an experiment and/or advertising gimmick, as far as I can see. It's just that it wasn't officially labeled as such.

And I bet there used to be hotels in the program at less than 7500 points, in which case the original making of all hotels 15k points would have more than doubled the points requirements for some of their lowest-Level hotels, while getting rid of "always 15k" only doubled.

Meanwhile, they still cap at 30k, which is lower than almost any other hotel program (Red Roof Inns' program has a lower cap I think).

TTT103 Nov 3, 19 11:08 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31672663)
How long have you been following Wyndham?

The gimmick of all hotels always being 15k points only existed for a couple years. Before that, they had varying points even more than now. I stayed at a Travelodge in Canada that was 16000 points in 2013. I still have the confirmation email that explains that it was 16000 points because it was a "Free Night Level 5".

So before they had all hotels at 15k, they had many levels (I'm pretty sure it was more than 5, but I don't remember for sure).

So the 15k for all hotels was just an experiment and/or advertising gimmick, as far as I can see. It's just that it wasn't officially labeled as such.

And I bet there used to be hotels in the program at less than 7500 points, in which case the original making of all hotels 15k points would have more than doubled the points requirements for some of their lowest-Level hotels, while getting rid of "always 15k" only doubled.

Meanwhile, they still cap at 30k, which is lower than almost any other hotel program (Red Roof Inns' program has a lower cap I think).

I've followed the various Wyhdham brands since the sale of assets by Prime Motor Inns over 30 years ago. Call it HFS, Cendant, or Wyndham, they kept trying to reinvent themselves, while ignoring brand standards. It was all about raping the brands to make a quick buck by Henry Silverman.

Yes, I too thought the one tier 15K point award was a bit odd. Granted, Wyndham doesn't have any superstar properties, but there certainly is a difference between a Wyndham Grand and a Super 8. What they did that disgusted me was give very little notice that the all-inclusives were being removed from the program, followed by the addition of the 30K redemption tier. When Marriott, IHG, and Hilton make changes, they afford their customers ample notice.

Since the devaluation, I have not stayed in a single Wyndham property, other than to burn points. I still have several weeks worth of points remaining that I'll likely use over the next year. They lost my business.