Why All The Hate Towards Wyndham

Old Nov 3, 19, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103 View Post
I've followed the various Wyhdham brands since the sale of assets by Prime Motor Inns over 30 years ago. Call it HFS, Cendant, or Wyndham, they kept trying to reinvent themselves, while ignoring brand standards. It was all about raping the brands to make a quick buck by Henry Silverman.

Yes, I too thought the one tier 15K point award was a bit odd. Granted, Wyndham doesn't have any superstar properties, but there certainly is a difference between a Wyndham Grand and a Super 8. What they did that disgusted me was give very little notice that the all-inclusives were being removed from the program, followed by the addition of the 30K redemption tier. When Marriott, IHG, and Hilton make changes, they afford their customers ample notice.

Since the devaluation, I have not stayed in a single Wyndham property, other than to burn points. I still have several weeks worth of points remaining that I'll likely use over the next year. They lost my business.
I haven't booked a paid stay in a Wyndham since the 7.5k a night promos ended. We're about to use my last 30k on two nights on Maui (an unexpectedly good value) and then I think we're down to 6k in one account and 9k in another. That's somewhat useful to lock in a 'decent' p&c rate with fully flexible cancelation terms for a speculative trip, but so far we've always found a better option once we've confirmed the trip.
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
I haven't booked a paid stay in a Wyndham since the 7.5k a night promos ended. We're about to use my last 30k on two nights on Maui (an unexpectedly good value) and then I think we're down to 6k in one account and 9k in another. That's somewhat useful to lock in a 'decent' p&c rate with fully flexible cancelation terms for a speculative trip, but so far we've always found a better option once we've confirmed the trip.
That sounds like a great use of points. I tend to hoard points (shame on me), so I have a boatload to plow through before they begin expiring in November of 2020.
Old Nov 4, 19, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That sounds like a great use of points. I tend to hoard points (shame on me), so I have a boatload to plow through before they begin expiring in November of 2020.
Too bad you didn't transfer all your points to La Quinta Rewards and then back earlier this year. Then you wouldn't have any expiring until early 2023.

But you can still stave off some, depending on how many you have and expiring when, through transfer to Total Rewards (Ceasars) and back (though unlike the La Quinta transfers which were unlimited, there's some limit on how many you can transfer to TR and back per year). Sorry, I don't know the details (because I did it all via La Quinta, of which I'd been a member for quite a few years too), but the info is scattered around a few recent-enough threads in this forum.
synergistic likes this.
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Too bad you didn't transfer all your points to La Quinta Rewards and then back earlier this year. Then you wouldn't have any expiring until early 2023.

But you can still stave off some, depending on how many you have and expiring when, through transfer to Total Rewards (Ceasars) and back (though unlike the La Quinta transfers which were unlimited, there's some limit on how many you can transfer to TR and back per year). Sorry, I don't know the details (because I did it all via La Quinta, of which I'd been a member for quite a few years too), but the info is scattered around a few recent-enough threads in this forum.
Yeah, I missed the boat on La Quinta. I still have about 330K points. I'll use them for something, as I still have a year. I did look into Total Rewards, and don't recall the exact transfer limit, but I do believe it was rather low, which is why I scrapped that idea.
Old Nov 5, 19, 11:52 am

Yeah, I missed the boat on La Quinta. I still have about 330K points. I'll use them for something, as I still have a year. I did look into Total Rewards, and don't recall the exact transfer limit, but I do believe it was rather low, which is why I scrapped that idea.
Oof, that's rough. I know there are at least two Hawaiian properties left at 15k, including the Maui property which seems to be perfectly serviceable and a pretty good value. The Honolulu property was inexpensive enough for my dates that it was a no-brainer to go with Maui. Good luck!
Old Nov 6, 19, 9:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I'm relatively new to Wyndham. I'm Titanium with Marriott, and if I could say so my fall-back program is Hilton, but when I was planning a road trip in Michigan I needed hotels in places where Marriott or Hilton didn't have hotels or they were over-priced (+$200/night for a Fairfield).

First Impression of Wyndham: The two hotels (Motel 8) I stayed in offered good sleeping comfort and the staff was very friendly. The bfast could be improved, OK for one or 2 days but I would feel terrible if I had to eat such unhealthy bfast every day.
I'm keen on collecting points so before I started looking for alternative hotels I had a look at their loyalty programs and Wyndham came out on top before Choice.

The first thing I noticed when I was searching for hotels was that their review scores varied wildly. I can't remember if I ever found a Marriott hotel with a review score below 4 (I'm sure they will exist but I think it will be a minority). When I was looking up the various Wyndham properties I found lots which had bad reviews and many scored well below 4. In some places I booked a Holiday Inn Express because the Wyndham properties had such bad reviews. The two hotels I ended up booking had good reviews and I was very happy and may book more Wyndham properties in the future but I will definitely always check the reviews before I book.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post

Maui Days Inn ? If so you may want to read the reviews. It's ok at best. location is nice. We were going to stay there but moved to the Hyatt Andaz for the Maui portion of our trip
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:07 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest

Caesars is 30K transfer per year so if you act now you could extend 60K Wyndham points by 2020

I find Caesars a great Value, 30K =$300 at Caesars, no resort fees for Diamonds plus a load of other onsite perks, lounges, show tickets $100 dinner credit, etc
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: Wyndham
I've been diamond for a few years now. I always stayed at the properties for the value. Never expected much and didn't need much more than I received for work travel. The rewards program was great as I was able to redeem my points at great properties in great locales. As my work travel has changed to primarily Atlanta area Ive started using AirBnB's. Most of the rooms are better than the properties I use to stay at and usually at 1/2 the cost. I'm not real happy about the devaluation but it didn't really effect my decision to use more AirBnB's. Example: I stayed last week in a brand-new townhouse ,private bathroom with a king size bed for $30 a night! 3 nights with fees was like $120 which is less than the best Howard Johnson rate for 2 nights. Hard to beat that kind of value when there are some many properties around the ATL airport.

Search this Thread