Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point Expiration Dates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Point Expiration Dates

Can anyone see their point expiration dates online ?

I used to see a 18 month date where I needed activity and a 4 year day where all points would expire.

Now all I see ( Using Chrome and the app on my phone) is one date where it says a portion of my points will expire on 6/29/2021 which is just over years from now.

I have about 97K Wyndham points and it says about 37K will expire 6/29/2021..............nothing about my remaining points. 6/29/2021 would be over 2 years from now.

I talked to some lady on the phone who spoke broken English and it sounds like the 18 months for activity is gone but I can't be sure.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 24, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having parked all my points at La Quinta Returns until that ended (I was LQ Elite, so I waited for the automatic conversion back at the last minute), I just see:

NOTIFICATIONS
120,141 of your points will expire on 04/29/2023
Learn More

but that Leanr More link leads to a 404 Error Page.

Meanwhile, while there's an 18-month "thing" mentioned still in the T&Cs, it isn't called "expiration":

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-rewards/terms

14. Point Expiration, Cancellation and Account Inactivity

Except as may otherwise be required under applicable law, Wyndham Rewards points expire four (4) years after being posted to the Member's account, unless the points are forfeited or cancelled earlier due to membership inactivity (as more particularly described below), or otherwise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. All accrued points in a Member's Wyndham Rewards account may be cancelled or forfeited if the Member has no Account Activity (as defined below) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months. For purposes of these Terms and Conditions, "Account Activity" means any point earning, redemption or transfer activity involving a change in the Member's Wyndham Rewards point balance, in each case, conducted in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. All issues related to the value, redemption and expiration of Travel Partner Currency will be governed by the terms and conditions then in effect for the applicable program.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Having parked all my points at La Quinta Returns until that ended (I was LQ Elite, so I waited for the automatic conversion back at the last minute), I just see:

NOTIFICATIONS
120,141 of your points will expire on 04/29/2023
Learn More

but that Leanr More link leads to a 404 Error Page.

Meanwhile, while there's an 18-month "thing" mentioned still in the T&Cs, it isn't called "expiration":

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-rewards/terms

Except as may otherwise be required under applicable law, Wyndham Rewards points expire four (4) years after being posted to the Member's account, unless the points are forfeited or cancelled earlier due to membership inactivity (as more particularly described below), or otherwise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. All accrued points in a Member's Wyndham Rewards account may be cancelled or forfeited if the Member has no Account Activity (as defined below) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months. For purposes of these Terms and Conditions, "Account Activity" means any point earning, redemption or transfer activity involving a change in the Member's Wyndham Rewards point balance, in each case, conducted in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. All issues related to the value, redemption and expiration of Travel Partner Currency will be governed by the terms and conditions then in effect for the applicable program.

I don't like that I can no longer see the 18 month date. I am just going to use all of the points from 2 of our accounts ( my wife still has the CC so if we use it every 6 months we are safe) and be done with it. We have about 200K now that I cancelled our Dominican AI trip

I found that Caesars is a great value for us, 10K points = $100 at Caesars and you can transfer 30K each per year

Every condo we want is 30K and there are only a couple ( Fort Myers beach) hotels that we would ever stay at that still take 15k/night.

I also cancelled all of the Wyndham CC's ( except my wife's as she gets 15k a year for renewing) so having activity every 18 months would be a PIA on the 2 other accounts.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 26, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM

Has anyone earned Rewards points through their shopping portal and extended the 18-month-expiry date that way?
If so, how long did it take for the points to post as "Account Activity" ?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Has anyone earned Rewards points through their shopping portal and extended the 18-month-expiry date that way?
If so, how long did it take for the points to post as "Account Activity" ?
I would also like to know the answer to this. Also, you can now see the 18 month inactivity points expiration date by clicking on the "Learn More" link. That link seemed to have been not working for some time.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sanmandude
I would also like to know the answer to this.
The shopping portal seems to be fairly new.
Will report back if/when shopping points post as activity and extend the expiry date.
sanmandude likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

I would also like to know the answer to this. Also, you can now see the 18 month inactivity points expiration date by clicking on the "Learn More" link. That link seemed to have been not working for some time.

Nice to know the 18 month date is now showing

I can also confirm transfers to and from Caesars reset the 4 year and 18 month dates.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:51 pm

As stated in prior post, I'm reporting back:

45 days after purchases were made through their shopping portal, the points were still showing in my account as "pending".
Filled out an online form - found on their website under Wyndham Rewards shopping "Faq".
Today, 5 days later, I received an email with "Your Points Are Approved" and now the activity is showing in my account.
Pfewww .... just in time !
sanmandude likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania
As stated in prior post, I'm reporting back:

45 days after purchases were made through their shopping portal, the points were still showing in my account as "pending".
Filled out an online form - found on their website under Wyndham Rewards shopping "Faq".
Today, 5 days later, I received an email with "Your Points Are Approved" and now the activity is showing in my account.
Pfewww .... just in time !
@Travelomania, Did it extend both the 18 month non-activity & 4 years hard expiration date?

Last edited by sanmandude; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:35 pm Reason: flyertalk.com
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Travelomania, Did it extend both the 18 month non-activity & 4 years hard expiration date?
"Activity" doesn't extend the 4 years hard expiration date. The only well-known and publicized way to extend the 4 years hard expiration date is to transfer the points to another program and then back. While the La Quinta merger was incomplete, you could do it with La Quinta for a few months. Now you can only do it with Total Rewards (Ceasar's).
sanmandude likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:44 am

"Activity" doesn't extend the 4 years hard expiration date. The only well-known and publicized way to extend the 4 years hard expiration date is to transfer the points to another program and then back. While the La Quinta merger was incomplete, you could do it with La Quinta for a few months. Now you can only do it with Total Rewards (Ceasar's).
But that was not my question. I wanted to know, whether purchases through their shopping portal would also do what you mentioned can now only be done through transfer to Total Rewards & then back. From your post, I am assuming answer is No. Le's hope @Travelomania replies, so we have a hard data point.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

Only the 18-months expiration date has changed.
sanmandude likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:41 pm

But that was not my question. I wanted to know, whether purchases through their shopping portal would also do what you mentioned can now only be done through transfer to Total Rewards & then back. From your post, I am assuming answer is No. Le's hope @Travelomania replies, so we have a hard data point.
@sdsearch , Okay now that I reread your post, I see what you meant. @Travelomania's post also confirmed it.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Purchases through the shopping mall are simply a form of (earning) "activity". That's why I phrased my answer that way.

The only reason transfers to somewhere else and back work is because you're transferring all of your points out, and then all the points you transfer back in get stamped with the date of the transfer in, because there is no earlier date that they can correlated with.

Shopping points, like any other "activity", only adds to your points. So while the shopping get a new hard expiry date, why should earning shopping points "refresh" the expiry date of other points you had before that? I don't see any reason. The only reason points transferred out and back do such a "refresh" is because Wyndham loses track of them once they're transferred out, and thus it seems like totally new points to Wyndham when they're transferred back.

Once you look at this way, I think it should be obvious why only transfers out and back are known to work.

And I don't know if you need to leave them "out" for a while to make it even less likely that Wyndham will spot the correlation. In my case, I transferred to La Quinta in several steps, and the La Quinta automatically transferred that (plus some points I'd earned at La Quinta before the merger), and so it would have been very hard, even with a calculator + spreadsheet, for Wyndham to correlate what I'd transferred out and what transferred in. A transfer out and the transfer back 10 minutes later of exactly the same amount might be different, I don't know.
sanmandude and DaveH like this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 10, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:40 pm

@sdsearch That was a very thorough explanation. Thank You.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.