Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has the Ramada brand gotten considerably better lately?

Old May 10, 19, 9:58 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice

For years and years, it felt like Ramadas were largely not very good properties. I do most of my hotel stays via Priceline (since I'm not necessarily a frequent traveler) and I've tried to avoid places that have Ramadas because it seemed like they had a pretty terrible reputation.

Recently though I booked the Ramada in Springfield, Illinois, as the reviews everywhere I've looked have been very, very favorable. I don't remember the last time I've seen such consistently positive reviews for any place I've stayed. It's been a long time, at least.

Has Ramada as a brand improved a lot lately, or is the one in Springfield, IL just a rare case?
Old May 11, 19, 10:54 am

IMO, since HFC, Cendant, Wyndham or whatever you want to call their latest incarnation purchased the Ramada, Howard Johnson, Days Inn, etc. franchises, they have done little other than run the properties into the ground. Twenty or so years ago Ramada was positioned slightly above Holiday Inn, but over the decades Wyndham has had very little brand standards, which has resulted in the current mess with their various franchises.

I am actually saddened by what they have done with Howard Johnson. This was once one of my favorite iconic hotel chains, which had the greatest number of properties in Florida over any other flag/brand. At least Henry Silverman didn't sell the 1-800-FLORIDA number in order to make a quick buck.
Old May 12, 19, 9:25 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
In one of their strategic briefings some time back they identified Ramada as a brand they'd grow. I've seen some new Ramadas in Asia that are nice enough and their current brand prototype is also good. If you find a newly built Ramada, it should be competitive...
Old May 12, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, Choice DM, Wyndham DM, BW DM
In Wyndham's own home town, Ramada Parsippany is 2 star at best and occasionally goes for less than the dump of a Travelodge down the street
Old May 13, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Wyndham Platinum
I'd definitely consider it an abnormality, or at least not a sign of any particular improvement. The couple of places I tend to look still have some pretty poor properties (at least based on reviews) in the Ramada brand, and I haven't seen them deflag properties in cities that I've looked at. (The only time I've seen a Ramada change flags personally is when they went from a Ramada to a Delta by Marriott - which seems like a brand with higher standards!)
Old May 16, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
In the US I would likely not book a Ramada but in Europe and Asia there are some properties that get good reviews. I was recently looking at Antalya and Bodrum in Turkey and the Ramada hotels seemed very nice. Same for some locations in Greece.