Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Good deals, good rewards but non existing status perks

Old Apr 1, 19, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G

I have been with Wyndham for years.. Platinum for my travels thru the US. The redemption as we know is good.
And I recently took the status match to diamond and actually to keep it stayed 14nights at Wyndham property because I was sucked into this suite upgrade bs.
I had exactly ONE night. Which was my first stay as diamond in Athens where they actually welcomed me as a diamond and had a coke and bar ready and gave me a junior suite.
All the other stays now in Australia and the last 7 in the US there was exactly nothing
​​​​​Not even at the wyndham san antonio I got an upgrade nor a welcome treat.
My conclusion is.. The status is worthless and I feel embarrassed to have to ask for a manager to press the benefits that they offer me to make me stay with them. Wanted to share that with you
Old Apr 1, 19, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status tends to generally be worthless (except maybe for a few extra points earned per stay) at all of the lower-end programs: Best Western, Choice Privileges, LaQuinta Returns (ending this week), and Wyndham Rewards.

If it ever has value in this group of hotel programs, it's for very not-traditional reasons, like the previous Choice elite benefit of a longer award booking window.
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:31 am

I would generally agree, the best that occurs in these programs is that with "status" you often get an "upgrade" from a 1 bed room, to a 2 bed room - which as a solo traveller really annoys me, I'd rather a couch to sit on than a second, useless bed. Worse yet, they have often told me they can't "downgrade" me back to what I booked. Other than that, rarely is it even mentioned. Sometimes a "thanks for being a ____ member", but even that often gets missed.

The one truly stand-out exception was a Best Western in Wurzburg - they went insanely over the top, more so than most other programs with an incredible room upgrade, a multitude of goodies, comped drinks, comped breakfast, and the real kicker for me - slippers with your name and decorations in glitter glue. That was a first.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 2, 19, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Status tends to generally be worthless (except maybe for a few extra points earned per stay) at all of the lower-end programs: Best Western, Choice Privileges, LaQuinta Returns (ending this week), and Wyndham Rewards.

If it ever has value in this group of hotel programs, it's for very not-traditional reasons, like the previous Choice elite benefit of a longer award booking window.
I guess it may depend upon where you’re trying to get benefits for the status level. Beyond North America, status at BW has come in as very useful for me. More useful than say Explorist at Hyatt and Platinum at IHG.
Old Apr 3, 19, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
I would generally agree, the best that occurs in these programs is that with "status" you often get an "upgrade" from a 1 bed room, to a 2 bed room - which as a solo traveller really annoys me, I'd rather a couch to sit on than a second, useless bed. Worse yet, they have often told me they can't "downgrade" me back to what I booked. Other than that, rarely is it even mentioned. Sometimes a "thanks for being a ____ member", but even that often gets missed.

The one truly stand-out exception was a Best Western in Wurzburg - they went insanely over the top, more so than most other programs with an incredible room upgrade, a multitude of goodies, comped drinks, comped breakfast, and the real kicker for me - slippers with your name and decorations in glitter glue. That was a first.
Individual hotels may upgrade you even if you're not a program. So that doesn't prove that it's the program that did it.

In fact, I got upgraded many times (though on every stay) at a Super 8 in California that I stayed at a lot before Wyndahm ever introduces these "status levels" (which was only in last couple years or so). So being a frequent guest at a given hotel is a good way to increase your upgrade chances, independent of whether the program even promises upgrades or not.

I've similarly gotten upgrades (again, not every stay) at one particular Best Western in California that I've stayed at many times, while at most other Best Westerns (whether I stay there often or not) I don't get upgrades, as a BW Diamond Select (top level).
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Malaysia Enrich
Hi all,

I'd just completed my status match challenge to retain WR Platinum til next year. For seasoned WR members, can i ask if the status perks are adequate or sufficient? I'm asking cause I'm not impressed with the rewards program. My gripes are
  • No soft copy of invoice to email address after check-out
  • Points not posted automatically. For ALL my stays during the challenge, I'd to send inquiries to customer support to post points for my stays.
  • Property (Ramada KLCC) does not recognize Wyndham Rewards confirmation / booking number. Front office had a hard time finding my reservation
  • Late check-out given by front desk upon check-in was not updated to front desk upon check out.
I also have LCAH silver but I'm unable to retain it for next year. The service levels between these properties vary wildly.

Any input is appreciated.