4 Year Expiration

Old Mar 28, 19, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
4 Year Expiration

It appears that transferring points to TR ( Caesars) rewards and back to Wyndham resets the 4 year date.

You have 48,948 Points

Points expire 4 years after they are earned. You have 130 points that will expire on 04/29/2022.

In addition, after 18 consecutive months without any account activity, all of your points will be forfeited. Be sure to stay or redeem with us by 09/09/2020.
sdsearch, synergistic and flybie like this.
Old Apr 4, 19, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's so special about that 4/29 date, I wonder?

I had transferred all of my points (every single one) to La Quinta (where I was Elite) last month, and now that they've auto-transferred back (at 1:1 for me) on 4/3, it says:

XXX,XXX of your points will expire on 04/29/2023

That's almost 4 years plus a month.
flyer4512 and synergistic like this.
Old Apr 16, 19, 11:09 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Is the 4-year expiration a hard one? Meaning no way of extending it with account activity?

LAX
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX View Post
Is the 4-year expiration a hard one? Meaning no way of extending it with account activity?

LAX
Yes. But at least for now, there is a workaround: Transferring as many of your points as you can to Total Rewards and back resets them to a new 4 years. It's probably not worth it if you only have points expiring in 3.6 years, but if it's much sooner, you might want to try it, since I don't know if the Total Rewards transfer option will go away at some point. (The same thing was possible with La Quinta transfers, but that went away at the end of March as La Quinta got fully merged into WyndhamRewards on April 3.)
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:58 pm

Help, Please

Hmmm, would love clarification on this: Before 18Kish points in my wife's account expired because of the 48-month expiration policy, we used 15K of those points to book a one-night stay scheduled for October that will take place after the 48-month expiration date. We still have the one-night October reservation booked with 15K points -- but now my wife's account has 18K negative points. I have no idea where things stands now. Is the one-night award redemption still valid -- or will the hotel try to charge us cash for the night? And what about those negative points? If she never earns another Wyndham point, would Wyndham try to charge us for 15K or 18K points (not sure why the additional expiring 3K created a negative)? Any and all clarity on this would be appreciated.

Search this Thread