Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Super 8 not bookable in Beijing through Wyndham website

Super 8 not bookable in Beijing through Wyndham website

Reply

Old Mar 22, 19, 10:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA, AS, UA, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 248
Super 8 not bookable in Beijing through Wyndham website

When I try to do a search in Beijing for Wyndham properties every Super 8 property is always listed as not having availability. WyndhamHotels.com search link

I've verified through other channels (OTAs) that there is availability at the properties for dates I'm interested in.

What's going on here?
BudgetJetsetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:08 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,732
I think you'll have to call Wyndham Rewards to ask, possibly elevate to a supervisor if you don't get a good answer from the front-line agent..

I've had the same problem with a Howard Johnson in Argentina about an hour outside of Buenos Aires. No availability ever on the WR website, but availability through third-party sites. But in my case, after researching more, I realized I didn't need a stay at that location anyway, so I never took the time to dive into why this was happening.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,425
The Wyndham site hasn't allowed me to book rooms anywhere in a while and I always have to call. At first I thought it was because I also use the eBates link, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Yes, cleared cookies and history. Doesn't really matter but I do know when I lived in China, I was able to book Super8's online, but that was years ago. Of course, I never actually stayed in the room.
rbAA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 19, 9:11 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: country Western Australia
Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
Posts: 2,633
Somewhat related ....

Travelodge in Hobart Tasmania has rooms on a couple of OTAs but doesn't even show as not available on the Wyndham site?

Is it worth a call?

Happy wandering
Fred
wandering_fred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:18 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,732
Originally Posted by wandering_fred View Post
Somewhat related ....

Travelodge in Hobart Tasmania has rooms on a couple of OTAs but doesn't even show as not available on the Wyndham site?

Is it worth a call?

Happy wandering
Fred
It may or may not be related. The "Travelodge" name is not owned by the same company worldwide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelodge_UK

So is the Travelodge in Hobart, Tasmania part of Wyndham Worldwide, or Travelodge UK, or yet someone else?

So sure you can call, but if you do, please pass on here what you learn, and realize it may be a Travelodge-specific answer perhaps.

Thanks.
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:36 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston , TX
Programs: Citi AAdvantage
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter View Post
When I try to do a search in Beijing for Wyndham properties every Super 8 property is always listed as not having availability. WyndhamHotels.com search link

I've verified through other channels (OTAs) that there is availability at the properties for dates I'm interested in.

What's going on here?
Super 8 in mainland China do not accept foreigners. Thatís why there is no availability.
D3KingAmerican is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:02 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 29,063
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post


Super 8 in mainland China do not accept foreigners. Thatís why there is no availability.
Where did you hear that? I am a foreigner, and often stay at Super 8s in China.
moondog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 19, 11:29 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston , TX
Programs: Citi AAdvantage
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Where did you hear that? I am a foreigner, and often stay at Super 8s in China.
I walked into a Super 8 last time in Beijing to ask for room rates and they told me they donít rent to foreigners. And I see theyíre never available on Wyndham so I assumed. Where in China have you stayed ?
D3KingAmerican is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:57 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 29,063
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post

I walked into a Super 8 last time in Beijing to ask for room rates and they told me they donít rent to foreigners. And I see theyíre never available on Wyndham so I assumed. Where in China have you stayed ?
I'm actually friends with group country manager, who happens to be American. Naturally, he is interested in learning about problem properties, so feel free to shame them here or PM me.
moondog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 10:27 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,425
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post

I walked into a Super 8 last time in Beijing to ask for room rates and they told me they don’t rent to foreigners. And I see they’re never available on Wyndham so I assumed. Where in China have you stayed ?
I see 16 Super 8's listed for Shanghai on the website's reservation page. I've checked into the ones on Zhongshan Rd and another near Baoshan Rd, looked at the room and went back to my favorite HIX Zhabei. Many of Wyndham's promo's excluded Super 8's though.
D3KingAmerican likes this.
rbAA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:51 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston , TX
Programs: Citi AAdvantage
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
I see 16 Super 8's listed for Shanghai on the website's reservation page. I've checked into the ones on Zhongshan Rd and another near Baoshan Rd, looked at the room and went back to my favorite HIX Zhabei. Many of Wyndham's promo's excluded Super 8's though.
what was the price of the Super 8 hotel you stayed in? Any room rate under $25 and you do not receive credit towards Wyndham rewards. That could be another reason Super 8 always shows unavailable on the app.
D3KingAmerican is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:19 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,425
Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican View Post

what was the price of the Super 8 hotel you stayed in? Any room rate under $25 and you do not receive credit towards Wyndham rewards. That could be another reason Super 8 always shows unavailable on the app.
Not sure as it was some years ago when I lived in China. Super Cheap though and made sure it qualified before I booked it. The Baoshan Rd one had a failing grade on their restaurant score. Interesting that they even posted it.
rbAA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 6:41 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 29,063
Originally Posted by rbAA View Post
Not sure as it was some years ago when I lived in China. Super Cheap though and made sure it qualified before I booked it. The Baoshan Rd one had a failing grade on their restaurant score. Interesting that they even posted it.
Do you mean failing as in the "sad face" or is there an even lower rating? I've noticed that, unlike in the US, many people in China don't give a rat's behind about those ratings.
moondog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:53 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Posts: 4,425
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Do you mean failing as in the "sad face" or is there an even lower rating? I've noticed that, unlike in the US, many people in China don't give a rat's behind about those ratings.
I thought it was a skull and crossbones with a pile of dead rats underneath...don't remember exactly, as I'm still trying to forget the whole 5 years in China experience. LOL. But not too much L.
moondog likes this.
rbAA is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:04 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,732
When you book a property through the WyndhamRewards website, you can earn points and get WyndahmRewards elite benefits.

Well, look at this post in another thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31324527-post8.html

It says that Wyndham allows properties to keep their Wynhdam family brand name but opt out of the WyndhamRewards program!!!

So maybe these properties that aren't bookable on the WyndhamRewards website are one that have opted out of the WyndhamRewards program?

It would nice if WyndhamRewards would explain that online for each property, rather than just never showing availability, if that's the reason for never showing availability (while the hotel is easily bookable through other channels).
sdsearch is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread