Points Question

Old Mar 4, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Points Question

This is probably a silly question. I have 22,000 points of my 150,000 that will expire in June 2019. I am getting ready to make a points reservation. Will it use the oldest points (the ones about to expire) when making the reservation?
Old Mar 5, 19, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamamy View Post
This is probably a silly question. I have 22,000 points of my 150,000 that will expire in June 2019. I am getting ready to make a points reservation. Will it use the oldest points (the ones about to expire) when making the reservation?
Yes, it will use the oldest points, but until you use them, you can't see when the next-oldest points you have will expire. For example, if you earned 22,000 points in June 2015 and another 10,000 points in July 2015, and you redeemed 30,000 points, then after the redemption it would tell you that you have 2,000 points expiring in July 2019.

You may be able to reset the 4-year expiration of almost all your points (except the last 1-999) by transferring back and forth to/from La Quinta Returns (before Mar 31) or Total Rewards.

transfer your LQ points to WR by 3/31 OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transfer of points from Wyndham to Total Rewards
iamamy likes this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
You may be able to reset the 4-year expiration of almost all your points (except the last 1-999) by transferring back and forth to/from La Quinta Returns (before Mar 31) or Total Rewards.

transfer your LQ points to WR by 3/31 OR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transfer of points from Wyndham to Total Rewards
The La Quinta transfer, at least as of last week, lets you transfer in 1-point increments. Assuming that hasn't changed, there shouldn't be any loss of points in transferring into La Quinta and then back out.
iamamy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 19, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jebr View Post
The La Quinta transfer, at least as of last week, lets you transfer in 1-point increments. Assuming that hasn't changed, there shouldn't be any loss of points in transferring into La Quinta and then back out.
It's only in 1 point increments in the LQ->WR direction. It's still 1000 point increments in the WR->LQ direction.

So what I had to do was take the number of points I had left at WR (less than 1000), subtract it from 1000, transfer that amount from LQ to WR, making my balance at WR exactly 1000, and then I was able to transfer that last 1000 to LQ, and now I have a glorious 0 points at WR until April 3 or so. (I'm Elite at LQ so I can wait until April 3.)

Search this Thread