Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Rewards Change in Program and top redemptions now 30k!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

Bloggers are reporting that the program will be changed effective April 3, 2019 to include 3 award categories with the highest at 30k per night! Over 200 hotels reported to be in 30k category. Was just thinking about applying for the CC but I guess that is off the table now since most of the higher-end properties will likely go up to 30k.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2019/02/19/wyndham-doubling-redemption-prices-at-top-hotels-making-many-other-changes/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea#_ ga=2.204561433.881408929.1550580445-1690604599.1532984164
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

It will be interesting to see the 200 properties that jump to the 30K cat. I have a feeling it's all the properties I tend to use my points at.
Brendan and flyer4512 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Here is the first bit of confirmed information regarding specific properties on the vacation ownership side. Three properties will move to the 30k per bedroom redemption rate (Bonnet Creek, Rio Mar and Clearwater).
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
It will be interesting to see the 200 properties that jump to the 30K cat. I have a feeling it's all the properties I tend to use my points at.
Yeah, not having the list of properties that are going up to 30K is a huge question mark on how big of a devaluation this is. It'll probably make redemptions much closer to a penny per point, though (there probably are only 200ish properties that can command an average rate of even $150/night or above, though perhaps there's more when including La Quinta properties.) It's certainly a negative, though, and unless there's some good 7,500 point redemptions I don't see it being nearly as attractive of a program to earn points in.

That said, price is the ultimate concern, and if La Quintas get the 20%-ish off with the Allied Business Network corporate code, it may still stay competitive for trips where I need flexibility or opaque booking channels aren't priced competitively enough considering their tradeoffs.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:03 pm

Damn. This was a good 4-year run-I guess all good things must come to an end. This one hurts.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
As someone getting forced into Wyndham because I've got some LQ points, the 15K flat rate award nights were the one thing I could find to be excited about. Now that it's likely the properties I'd actually want to stay at are going to be in the 30K band, I'm kind of wondering if I should just convert to airline miles and be done with it.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dr.Leo
Here is the first bit of confirmed information regarding specific properties on the vacation ownership side. Three properties will move to the 30k per bedroom redemption rate (Bonnet Creek, Rio Mar and Clearwater).
These were pretty much the only three properties that convinced me to even bother with Wyndham. Oh well...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:06 am
Original Poster

I would think it might be safe to assume that all the Wyndham Grand properties would likely move up to 30k. Add to that the better Dolce properties and then better Wyndham and Tryp properties in large popular city destinations with higher prices like NYC, Vienna, Sydney, Frankfurt, etc. etc. and we likely have our list of 30k properties.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: DL PM
Speculation about the Caesars properties? I was hoping to use my points for a couple nights at Nobu.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:59 am

The accelerated earning isn't quite as great as I was hoping - the minimum 1,000 points on any stay doesn't get the bonus points. So if I'm staying at a hotel for one night where the rate is $50 + tax, I'm only going to get 1,000 points, not 1,150. That diminishes a fair amount of the value of that benefit change, especially since rewards nights won't earn those bonus points either.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Speculation about the Caesars properties? I was hoping to use my points for a couple nights at Nobu.
I would think that the Nobu would be 30k based on their typical rates. I have stayed there on a paid stay and it was a nice quiet oasis away from the hustle of LV. If you can book it for 15k I would do it to lock it in.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Well this gives me a reason to cancel my Wyndham credit card.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Per night resort fee payable for all nights at Caesars Entertainment properties, including award nights. Points cannot be used to pay resort fees
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:50 pm

I wonder if anything in Hawaii stays at 15k, we have 10 nights planned for 2021.

The Ft Myers Beach Wyndham has a excellent location but the closet size room they gave us with cars parked right outside our door was not worth 15k, maybe it drops
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Thanks, Christianj, for answering my question of Jan. 23 here: What happened to the plan to charge different points-prices? ! BTW, I got an email from LaQuinta announcing this. Changes take effect April 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.