Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Rewards Change in Program and top redemptions now 30k!

Wyndham Rewards Change in Program and top redemptions now 30k!

Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Per night resort fee payable for all nights at Caesars Entertainment properties, including award nights. Points cannot be used to pay resort fees
Right, this is a good point. I'm assuming as Caesars Diamond the resort fee would be waived, but if one didn't have status would need to consider the resort fee + tax adds up to around $44/night.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:52 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Big Devaluation...

Even though they didn't announce the 200 hotels that will double in price or the 3,000 going down to 7,500 pt/nt, we can be fairly certain that this is bad news:
The bottom 1/3 of their hotels has an ADR of $50 - so even at 7,500 pt/nt, they will not be good value except when the Superbowl and Solar Eclipse are in town on the same weekend!
At the top-end, Dolce has an ADR of $165 and Wyndham $105 - so while you could frequently find great value at 15,000 pt/nt, it will be very difficult to find exceptional value at 30,000 pt/nt. Hotels in NYC, LA, San Francisco, are frequently between $200-300, but the days significantly above $300 will be numbered. You can check the number of hotels and average rates by brand here!
Add this devaluation of GoFree awards to the previous devaluation of the GoFast awards (by making the cash co-pay dependent on current rates rather than fixed), and there is little value left in the program.
I just booked 8 GoFree nights - I'd recommend to use your points now, you can always after the new rates for hotels become available...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fyd
Even though they didn't announce the 200 hotels that will double in price or the 3,000 going down to 7,500 pt/nt, we can be fairly certain that this is bad news:
The bottom 1/3 of their hotels has an ADR of $50 - so even at 7,500 pt/nt, they will not be good value except when the Superbowl and Solar Eclipse are in town on the same weekend!
At the top-end, Dolce has an ADR of $165 and Wyndham $105 - so while you could frequently find great value at 15,000 pt/nt, it will be very difficult to find exceptional value at 30,000 pt/nt. Hotels in NYC, LA, San Francisco, are frequently between $200-300, but the days significantly above $300 will be numbered. You can check the number of hotels and average rates by brand here!
Add this devaluation of GoFree awards to the previous devaluation of the GoFast awards (by making the cash co-pay dependent on current rates rather than fixed), and there is little value left in the program.
I just booked 8 GoFree nights - I'd recommend to use your points now, you can always after the new rates for hotels become available...
I enjoyed the Wyndham program for the couple years I used it. I got good value out of my redemptions when compared with the paid rates on those same nights:
- 2 nights at the New Yorker (booked 1 bedroom premium queen suite, upgraded to king suite with massive balcony) - $600/night
- 4 nights at Park City Wyndham (1 bedroom during ski season) - $700/night

Seeing this devaluation I just used my last 45k points for 3 nights at the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar for January (family suite) - $650/night

I have about 3k points left in my account. Going to miss the old program!

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Feb 22, 2019 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

If I book a room now before the Deval them change my mind I'm guessing I can still cancel and get my points back per the cancellation rules ?

We are looking at a AI in the Dominican but I know nothing about the DR and PUJ looks to be about 90 minutes from the resort so I would like to book with the option to cancel
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyer4512
If I book a room now before the Deval them change my mind I'm guessing I can still cancel and get my points back per the cancellation rules ?

We are looking at a AI in the Dominican but I know nothing about the DR and PUJ looks to be about 90 minutes from the resort so I would like to book with the option to cancel
Yes, you'll just get the points back that you paid if you cancel before the cancellation deadline. If you want to make a new booking after the devaluation, obviously your points cost could go up though.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
So now for Wyndham Visa with annual fee, Barclays can claim each anniversary you get enough points (9000) for a free night (with fine prints).
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
So now for Wyndham Visa with annual fee, Barclays can claim each anniversary you get enough points (9000) for a free night (with fine prints).
And 2 free nights for those of use who have the 15K point renewal.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:39 pm

YMMV but I was able to get 15K Wyndham points my wife , my dad and I for complaining about the devaluation. Just send an email ( from each account) to Eliot.

In our case we were planning on 12 nights in Hawaii in 2021 and I explained how that is no longer possible because of the 30K per night AND the 4 year expiration. There is no way we can save 360K Wyndham points before they expire. I also added how I paid several annual fees on the CC's to accumulate points.

We just used 105K Wyndham Points booking 7 nights in an AI for later this year.

My wife and dad still have 60K Wyndham each, no idea where we will use them. Hopefully the Fort Myers Beach property remains at 15K/night

We are also cancelling at least 2 of our Wyndham credit cards, my wife has the 15K upon renewal every year version of the card so we may keep that one.

Eliot runs Wyndham

[email protected]
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by flyer4512; Mar 26, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

I share the same sentiments as everyone else on this thread. Was really pleased with the program over the last few years, and this is terrible.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I share the same sentiments as everyone else on this thread. Was really pleased with the program over the last few years, and this is terrible.
It was great because there were several (but in the overwhelming minority) properties that were great redemptions at 15k. Many in the $350+ cash rack rate. The credit card at the time was 2x on any spend no AF to boot with one night free sign up bonus. The flip side is that these redemption were great, but they were the only redemptions that were worth anything as the other lesser properties at 15k would have been a joke. So you didn't have but a handful of redemptions. I used the TRYP in Manhattan several times and got great redemptions and not only that, several room choices were also available and not just standard king. There will probably be some 7.5k redemptions in the future that have a $150 cash rack and won't be terrible, but I just don't use those properties.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
It was great because there were several (but in the overwhelming minority) properties that were great redemptions at 15k. Many in the $350+ cash rack rate. The credit card at the time was 2x on any spend no AF to boot with one night free sign up bonus. The flip side is that these redemption were great, but they were the only redemptions that were worth anything as the other lesser properties at 15k would have been a joke. So you didn't have but a handful of redemptions. I used the TRYP in Manhattan several times and got great redemptions and not only that, several room choices were also available and not just standard king. There will probably be some 7.5k redemptions in the future that have a $150 cash rack and won't be terrible, but I just don't use those properties.

And the Credit card was churnable at 45K a pop. 30K a night, no churn = burn Wyndham points for me as the 4 year expiration makes it impossible for me to save points for a 5 plus night stay
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:59 pm

I waiting to see some Super 8’s or Days Inns located in major urban or touristy areas pop into the 30K category.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TTT103
I waiting to see some Super 8s or Days Inns located in major urban or touristy areas pop into the 30K category.
I'm calling the Super 8 in Moab, Utah as a 30K property already. Like many US national park towns, the hotel prices can go very sky high, and when we were mapping out a trip there last year, it was $190+ a night. (Ultimately ended up at the Homewood Suites which seemed a good value in comparison for $250/night)

If anyone has an interest on doing a Utah national parks loop, it would also be good to grab the La Quinta in Springdale/Zion NP area because that one will be 30K a night and it's right on the in-town shuttle loop to the park, parking at Zion being otherwise a nightmare
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Who's Eliot? Where did to send a message to?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Just to confirm/vent - they really aren't planning to tell us which properties are going to increase in price until the new prices are in effect? I was really hoping they would publish some sort of list by now.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.