Expiring Wyndham points?

Old Jan 25, 19, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Expiring Wyndham points?

I have 60000 points that will expire in a couple months because they will be 4 years old. Don't have the vacation time to use them. If I transfer them to LaQuinta will it stop the points from expiring? Other options to keep the points? Thanks for your help
Old Jan 26, 19, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shanna135 View Post
I have 60000 points that will expire in a couple months because they will be 4 years old. Don't have the vacation time to use them. If I transfer them to LaQuinta will it stop the points from expiring?
Yes. Do it ASAP, as we don't know if we'll have advance notice about the ability to transfer going away (in case it goes away before the two programs actually become one; that was the case with Marriott-SPG, so you can't rule it out here IMHO).
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
I have 60000 points that will expire in a couple months because they will be 4 years old. Don't have the vacation time to use them. If I transfer them to LaQuinta will it stop the points from expiring? Other options to keep the points? Thanks for your help

If you open a new Wyndham CC and leave the rewards number blank Barclay/Wyndham will create a new rewards account for you. Call and combine the accounts by transferring all of your current Wyndham points into the new account.

I stumbled upon this last year by accident and all my points ( old points plus new points earned from SU bonus) showed and expiration of 18 months /4 years
Old Feb 2, 19, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Won't be opening a new Wyndham credit card. If I sign up for a new Wyndham rewards account and then combine? Thanks for your help
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Won't be opening a new Wyndham credit card. If I sign up for a new Wyndham rewards account and then combine? Thanks for your help
Singing up for a second WyndhamRewards account intentionally might be against the T&C rules. (Getting a second account automatically because of a credit card is something you can always claim you didn't know would happen, but intentionally opening a second account yourself, you can't claim that.)

I'd suggest you do the La Quinta route which originally asked about, since it does work., That seems much safer than signing up for a second WR account intentionally and then calling WR about it! Plus you don't have to call anyone, the LQ stuff you can do all online.
Old Feb 2, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Singing up for a second WyndhamRewards account intentionally might be against the T&C rules. (Getting a second account automatically because of a credit card is something you can always claim you didn't know would happen, but intentionally opening a second account yourself, you can't claim that.)

I'd suggest you do the La Quinta route which originally asked about, since it does work., That seems much safer than signing up for a second WR account intentionally and then calling WR about it! Plus you don't have to call anyone, the LQ stuff you can do all online.

If I transfer my Wyndham to La Quinta can I get them back in my Wyndham account again with a fresh 4 year expiration date ? I alos wonder if a transfer to TR and back might work. Thanks

My guess is that it might work but you would have to earn points in the new account

In my case I was waiting for the credit card SU bonus to post, when it didn't I investigated and found the new Wyndham account which had ~ 47,000 Wyndham points.

The lady who did the consolidation picked the new account to keep as it had the most points.

As I said, I didn't plan this but when I logged into my new account it had about 75K points with a fresh 4 years to use them.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
If I transfer my Wyndham to La Quinta can I get them back in my Wyndham account again with a fresh 4 year expiration date ? I alos wonder if a transfer to TR and back might work. Thanks
I would presume so (I don't technically see how it could work otherwise), but I haven't tried, Since I don't them any time soon, I'm just leaving the at La Quinta for now.

Within half a year, La Quinta returns will be folded into WyndhamRewards, and all the points will be automatically combined. If you don't need before then, you might as well. Then if the 4-year expiration stays after the folding in, you'll presumably the maximum expiration.

Of course, one could hope that since La Quinta didn't have "hard" expiration (only "soft" -- meaning resettable somehow -- expiration) that WR will finally stop being the last hotel program with "hard" expiration after LQ is folded in, but who knows.
Old Feb 4, 19, 3:02 pm

I would presume so (I don't technically see how it could work otherwise), but I haven't tried, Since I don't them any time soon, I'm just leaving the at La Quinta for now.

Within half a year, La Quinta returns will be folded into WyndhamRewards, and all the points will be automatically combined. If you don't need before then, you might as well. Then if the 4-year expiration stays after the folding in, you'll presumably the maximum expiration.

Of course, one could hope that since La Quinta didn't have "hard" expiration (only "soft" -- meaning resettable somehow -- expiration) that WR will finally stop being the last hotel program with "hard" expiration after LQ is folded in, but who knows.

Thanks, the Wyndham To TR transfer ddin't work out how I was hoping ( no Tier points, just spend points @ 10k Wyndham = $100) so I transferred them back to see how it effects expiration dates on Wyndham points
Old Feb 19, 19, 9:06 am

I called to ask about when my points will expire as some are almost 4 years old. The CSR let me know that the 4 year expiry rule no longer applies (citing the new legislation around reward points, is this just for Canada?) but that points will expire if no activity in 18 months.
At the end of the call, she asked if I wanted to hear about their timeshare program, if I did I would earn 500 points. Assuming that receiving these points counts as activity?
Old Feb 23, 19, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller View Post
I called to ask about when my points will expire as some are almost 4 years old. The CSR let me know that the 4 year expiry rule no longer applies (citing the new legislation around reward points, is this just for Canada?) but that points will expire if no activity in 18 months.
At the end of the call, she asked if I wanted to hear about their timeshare program, if I did I would earn 500 points. Assuming that receiving these points counts as activity?
Yes, it's just for Canada (if it's indeed true for Canada). As a USA member, I transferred all my points from WR to La Quinta except for a few hundred (to reset the 4 year expiration), and those few hundred now shows as expiring in 2022 (having been earned last year, ie 2018) when I log into WR and go to My Account and scroll down and look at the left. And then if I click for details, it still explains that there's both a 4 year and 18 month expiration.

So at least as of this moment, the 4 year expiration is still in effect at least for USA-based members. And I suggest you double-check in your online account even if you're Canada-based. CSRs don't always give accurate information.
Old Feb 23, 19, 10:42 am

Yes, it's just for Canada (if it's indeed true for Canada). As a USA member, I transferred all my points from WR to La Quinta except for a few hundred (to reset the 4 year expiration), and those few hundred now shows as expiring in 2022 (having been earned last year, ie 2018) when I log into WR and go to My Account and scroll down and look at the left. And then if I click for details, it still explains that there's both a 4 year and 18 month expiration.

So at least as of this moment, the 4 year expiration is still in effect at least for USA-based members. And I suggest you double-check in your online account even if you're Canada-based. CSRs don't always give accurate information.
I transferred 10K to TR and back to Wyndham.............those 10K now have a longer expiration date (Guessing 4 years but I don't know for sure) as I'm only showing 14K of my points will expire in ~ 2 1/2 years

Points expire 4 years after they are earned. You have 14,115 points that will expire on 09/29/2021.

In addition, after 18 consecutive months without any account activity, all of your points will be forfeited. Be sure to stay or redeem with us by 08/06/2020.