Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Poor Treatment at Wyndham Property re late check-out request

Poor Treatment at Wyndham Property re late check-out request

Old Oct 13, 18, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Angry VERY Poor Treatment at Wyndham Property - re: late check-out request

Last week I got my Diamond level status at Wyndham, from status match with my SPG/Marriott.
Earlier this week, I was traveling around west coast area, from North Cal to South Cal, and planned to Vegas/Arizona after.
Somewhere, I stayed at one of Wyndham's properties, a franchise run business.
Checked-in in the evening, and asked for a late check out. Regular check out time is 11am, and was requesting around 12.30pm check out.
The evening front associate could not confirmed my request, and told me that the manager would call that evening. The next day, literally 10 minutes before 11am, got a call of [moderator edit] very rude manager, told that he could only give 30 minute for me and family to leave the property.

I was furious, and even mentioning of the status, resulting in his response of "I don't care. you need to leave".
So, I called the diamond line, and was forwarded to supposedly customer care escalation. Only to be stunned by her response "it is up to the property, regardless of the status".
Even telling her the fact that I had waited all night for the call to confirm, this "customer care rep" told me that I couldn't expect manager to call in the evening.

I am not sure which idiot I am more upset, the front manager at the property, or the customer service. If anyone know Wyndham management contact, I'd be appreciated.
Never in my traveling life I experience anything worse than this. Even when I had no status, Hilton and Hyatt extended a courtesy for late check out at least 1 hour, so does La Quinta (before it joined Wyndham, not sure now).

For now, no more Wyndham property

ps: should have used yelp or other online reviews to check prior. turn out the property is rated very poorly in all. oh well, my mistake

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 2, 18 at 6:05 am Reason: Rule 16
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:29 pm

Was this a sold out hotel situation for the day of your checkout? Or a wedding/private event/conference happening next day?

Literally any hotel in the world will allow late checkout with no issues (regardless of status), as long as they aren't expecting the next block of guests to arrive on a sold-out day etc. It doesn't have much to do with status/brand etc (all of them have "subject to availability" stuff written in to get out of it if they need to kick you out).
Old Oct 13, 18, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

as far as I know, the property was empty on the time I was forced to check out, as I saw many doors opened and the rooms being "cleaned".
and about 2-3 hours later when I passed by and stopped at nearby gas station, I only saw 2 cars in its parking lot.
Old Oct 13, 18, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Probably best you move on. Doubt they want your business in the least after that post.

Indeed it was up to the property. You have zero idea of how many people were arriving and when.

Would you have written the same obscene post had you arrived at check-in time because the property had let a bunch of people check out late?
nancypants and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Oct 13, 18, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Probably best you move on. Doubt they want your business in the least after that post.

Indeed it was up to the property. You have zero idea of how many people were arriving and when.

Would you have written the same obscene post had you arrived at check-in time because the property had let a bunch of people check out late?
Not sure what were you talking about on that last statement, but I would write the same post had I arrived at check-in time.
And also not sure who you are, but apparently hospitality is not your alley. No guest should expect a call 10 minutes before being kicked out, after specifically asked manager to call, and was waiting all evening for it.
If you work on/manage a property, let me/us know so I/we can avoid.
Old Oct 13, 18, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP I gather you never read the T&Cs, had you you would have read this;
    • Late check-out at Participating Hotels, subject to availability, upon Member’s request. Availability is determined by Participating Hotel and is only applicable to the Member’s personal guest room. Late check-out requests should not be for a time that is more than two hours after the Participating Hotel’s standard check-out time.

Basically even if a hotel is a participating hotel they need not grant any late checkout if they dont wish to, fwiw Ive been denied at various Hilton brands even as a Diamond or granted an extra 30 mins , when I asked for a min hour I was told OK and then told the additional cost so I simply checked out and put that hotel/s on my Do Not Stay List
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by craz; Oct 13, 18 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 14, 18, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
OP I gather you never read the T&Cs, had you you would have read this;
    • Late check-out at Participating Hotels, subject to availability, upon Member’s request. Availability is determined by Participating Hotel and is only applicable to the Member’s personal guest room. Late check-out requests should not be for a time that is more than two hours after the Participating Hotel’s standard check-out time.

Basically even if a hotel is a participating hotel they need not grant any late checkout if they dont wish to, fwiw Ive been denied at various Hilton brands even as a Diamond or granted an extra 30 mins , when I asked for a min hour I was told OK and then told the additional cost so I simply checked out and put that hotel/s on my Do Not Stay List
Sure, everyone read T&Cs in detail, word by word, prior to checking on every stay. Good comment.
I guess I should stick with Marriott/SPG brand then, even though Hyatt, Hilton, and few other chains have granted me some courtesy, with or without status. And for the most part, especially when traveling for work, I usually leave early in the morning anyway.
So, when a chain "advertise" to its highest guest level, I'd assume the same courtesy would be granted, and if not possible, then should be communicated properly and in advance.
My point, the [moderator edit] mgr should have called much earlier, whether or not I could do a late check out, not 10 minutes before I got kicked out.
Then as you said, case closed, and put that property on my [moderator edit] do not stay list.

Anyway, mod please close this thread. My point of having this thread was to find out if any helpful FTers got the info to contact the chain mgmt.
Turn out, I got the exec contact myself

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 14, 18 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 14, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fivenue View Post
Sure, everyone read T&Cs in detail, word by word, prior to checking on every stay. Good comment.
I guess I should stick with Marriott/SPG brand then, even though Hyatt, Hilton, and few other chains have granted me some courtesy, with or without status. And for the most part, especially when traveling for work, I usually leave early in the morning anyway.
So, when a chain "advertise" to its highest guest level, I'd assume the same courtesy would be granted, and if not possible, then should be communicated properly and in advance.
My point, the [moderator edit] mgr should have called much earlier, whether or not I could do a late check out, not 10 minutes before I got kicked out.
Then as you said, case closed, and put that property on my [moderator edit] do not stay list.

Anyway, mod please close this thread. My point of having this thread was to find out if any helpful FTers got the info to contact the chain mgmt.
I have found over the last few decades with the exception of having status with SPG,Hyatt or Marriott that guaranteed a late check-out time that the others would tell me to call in the morning and ask and usually all I got if anything was an extra 1/2 an hour an hour tops

I agree getting a call 10 mins prior wasnt called for, I also did the Diamond match up from Plat, nothing to lose the major difference is Im not expecting squat because of it, if I get something fine but when they will know it wasnt earned the hard way and I never stayed at that property before and wont ever again and Im sure they will know that I dont hav emy expectatuions set on anything other then what anyone w/o status will get. No DYKWIA for me especially on a status match!

I dont get why you didnt call the morning of to see if its been granted, anytime I dont get a call back and I want something I have no qualms about calling again
Old Oct 14, 18, 11:53 am

It's absolutely fine that you apparently chose not to familiarize yourself with the program rules. You could have done this when you signed up, when you booked, or at check-in. Many people do not.

But, you cannot then complain that when you asked for something you were not entitled to, that you did not get it and that it was poor service.

Absolutely your choice.
Old Oct 14, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

It's absolutely fine that you apparently chose not to familiarize yourself with the program rules. You could have done this when you signed up, when you booked, or at check-in. Many people do not.

But, you cannot then complain that when you asked for something you were not entitled to, that you did not get it and that it was poor service.

Absolutely your choice.
why you even wrote comments? really, why?
the other FTers at least agree the treatment was uncalled for.
but you, not answering of my initial question, provide no valuable info whatsoever, but keep on yapping?
always one like you around on the forum.
Old Oct 14, 18, 7:45 pm

why you even wrote comments? really, why?
the other FTers at least agree the treatment was uncalled for.
but you, not answering of my initial question, provide no valuable info whatsoever, but keep on yapping?
always one like you around on the forum.
Because you implied that it's fine not to read contracts you choose to sign and then argue that they should not apply.
Old Oct 14, 18, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Because you implied that it's fine not to read contracts you choose to sign and then argue that they should not apply.
so you feel insulted/irritated/annoyed because of my "implied" and had to comment? are you T&Cs police or something?
that's how you contribute and being useful? ok then.
as i said, always one like you around.
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:07 am

Typically, if I need to use a particular benefit, I'll at least click through any obvious links to make sure that I understand how the benefit works and what the restrictions are. The Wyndham website, for the "Late Check-out," has a drop-down box that has a pretty clear "More Information" link. Clicking that has the first few words of "Offered upon request and subject to availability"

Based on that, I'd read additional details before counting on that benefit (and then making an angry post when that "subject to availability" gets invoked.) Especially with Wyndham generally having more lower-end properties, status benefits are going to not be as consistently enforced or even known by hotel staff. Any loophole that leaves the definition of availability up to the hotel should be seen as though the benefit is nothing more than a courtesy if you get a willing property.

By the way, "how full the parking lot is" isn't an indication of how full the property is, or will be that evening. People may be out and about during the day, thus having rooms occupied but not having their vehicle at the hotel at that precise moment. People may also get to the hotel a number of different ways (Uber/Lyft, maybe a charter bus, etc.) The only reliable way is to check on the website and see if they're still selling that room type for availability for that evening. Of course, that still doesn't account for those that may have asked for late check-out before you, nor does it account for whatever the property thinks it can allow for late check-out, if at all, since Wyndham doesn't require any litmus test for the hotel's availability.
Old Oct 15, 18, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jebr View Post
Typically, if I need to use a particular benefit, I'll at least click through any obvious links to make sure that I understand how the benefit works and what the restrictions are. The Wyndham website, for the "Late Check-out," has a drop-down box that has a pretty clear "More Information" link. Clicking that has the first few words of "Offered upon request and subject to availability"

Based on that, I'd read additional details before counting on that benefit (and then making an angry post when that "subject to availability" gets invoked.) Especially with Wyndham generally having more lower-end properties, status benefits are going to not be as consistently enforced or even known by hotel staff. Any loophole that leaves the definition of availability up to the hotel should be seen as though the benefit is nothing more than a courtesy if you get a willing property.

By the way, "how full the parking lot is" isn't an indication of how full the property is, or will be that evening. People may be out and about during the day, thus having rooms occupied but not having their vehicle at the hotel at that precise moment. People may also get to the hotel a number of different ways (Uber/Lyft, maybe a charter bus, etc.) The only reliable way is to check on the website and see if they're still selling that room type for availability for that evening. Of course, that still doesn't account for those that may have asked for late check-out before you, nor does it account for whatever the property thinks it can allow for late check-out, if at all, since Wyndham doesn't require any litmus test for the hotel's availability.
sure, every hotel chain have similar wording. but none ignore request from guest to have manager call to confirm (whether approve or not), and certainly no guest should be kicked out with only 10 minutes warning.
one person mentioned that I could have called in the morning. I did first thing in the morning, no one picked up. and off course I could keep calling, to no end. smh.
while I also agree "how full parking lot is" not a strongest predictor, but it is common sense. Most of the them when I checked in to any properties, the more cars park outside indicate the level of occupancy of the property. there are some variations and exceptions off course.

as I said, perhaps I am out of my element at this wyndham chain. as you pointed out, it has many lower end, perhaps I should not expect to be treated as normal guest as on the other chain.

wow, all these comments and none have somewhat useful info I inquired.
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:16 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
What is the exact location of this hotelmotel?

It deserves to be called out.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread