Does Wyndham have a room type guarantee?

Old Aug 9, 18, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Does Wyndham have a room type guarantee?

Staying at a Ramada for the current masterpass challenge, and probably never again. I booked a king room, and was given a double queen at check in. I asked to clarify with front desk and was told I booked 2 double beds.

went to my room and checked...I booked a king. Not cool. Went back down to the front desk and pulled out my phone, and before I could say anything, the front desk woman said ďyouíre gonna show me an email with a king reservation. Well by the time our system got the reservation we didnít have any left and thatís what the computer assigned.Ē

Let me reiterate, before I said anything. So whatís Wyndham policy?

not cool Wyndham/Ramada...
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Staying at a Ramada for the current masterpass challenge, and probably never again. I booked a king room, and was given a double queen at check in. I asked to clarify with front desk and was told I booked 2 double beds.

went to my room and checked...I booked a king. Not cool. Went back down to the front desk and pulled out my phone, and before I could say anything, the front desk woman said “you’re gonna show me an email with a king reservation. Well by the time our system got the reservation we didn’t have any left and that’s what the computer assigned.”

Let me reiterate, before I said anything. So what’s Wyndham policy?

not cool Wyndham/Ramada...
I got this at a Sheraton last week. (Though in that case they asked me at check in if that was OK.) They were sold out of kings, what was I to do but accept it? Cancel the stay and look for something else at the last minute, when the point of stay was some promo?

And WyndhamRewards sure ain't no SPG.

And Ramada sure ain't no Sheraton.

It could be worse: You could have been given a smoking room when you specified no smoking. (Yes, unlike many "bigger' brands, many Wyndham low-end chains still have smoking rooms aplenty.)

And what did you expect (other than the front desk explaining it up front)? What does a "room type guarantee"" actually mean at a hotel program where you have no elite status (when the hotel had the guests in your type of room extend their stays)? Isn't a room type guarantee (or any type of booking guarantee) the kind of thing most hotel programs only give to their top-elite status guests? But if this is your first (or nearly first) WyndhamRewards stay, just for this promo, then you can't possibly have status there (not that they've had status levels for that long, nor have that much in status benefits, compared to "higher up" hotel programs.)

So IMHO the main issue I see with your experience was not that they ran out of king rooms and gave you two queens, but that they weren't that waited to explain it until they thought you were going to argue about it.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 10, 18 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 13, 18, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I got this at a Sheraton last week. (Though in that case they asked me at check in if that was OK.) They were sold out of kings, what was I to do but accept it? Cancel the stay and look for something else at the last minute, when the point of stay was some promo?

And WyndhamRewards sure ain't no SPG.

And Ramada sure ain't no Sheraton.

It could be worse: You could have been given a smoking room when you specified no smoking. (Yes, unlike many "bigger' brands, many Wyndham low-end chains still have smoking rooms aplenty.)

And what did you expect (other than the front desk explaining it up front)? What does a "room type guarantee"" actually mean at a hotel program where you have no elite status (when the hotel had the guests in your type of room extend their stays)? Isn't a room type guarantee (or any type of booking guarantee) the kind of thing most hotel programs only give to their top-elite status guests? But if this is your first (or nearly first) WyndhamRewards stay, just for this promo, then you can't possibly have status there (not that they've had status levels for that long, nor have that much in status benefits, compared to "higher up" hotel programs.)

So IMHO the main issue I see with your experience was not that they ran out of king rooms and gave you two queens, but that they weren't that waited to explain it until they thought you were going to argue about it.
My issue is I paid more for a king then the rate was for double beds. Not by much....$7-$8 I think? But the room I was given was of course at the higher rate. No status, of course. But I thought most hotels would at least give something back a little for the inconvenience.

Search this Thread