15000 Bonus Points with Masterpass

Old Jul 16, 18, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avis, Sixt
15000 Bonus Points with Masterpass

I just got the email for a new promo which sounds really promising.

Wyndham Rewards members can earn 7,500 bonus points per stay by paying with Masterpass online or through the Wyndham Rewards app. After two stays, you can earn 15,000 bonus points—enough for up to one free night!*
Book by August 31, 2018 and complete your qualified stay(s) by September 1, 2018.

Last edited by larsbutzmann; Jul 16, 18 at 2:11 pm Reason: Remove membership number from screenshot
Old Jul 16, 18, 2:18 pm

This part is a bit concerning, especially given the sudden cancellation of the Visa promotion: "There are a limited number of bonus points available for this promotional offer-we may change or cancel this promotion at any time."

That said, I'll probably still use it for a booking coming up here in a couple weeks; the risk is rather low (I need to stay anyways; it's just waiting to use a free night voucher for a stay later in the year instead of using it now, and I can always cancel if the promo is cancelled a day or two before checking in.) However, I'd be very wary about scheduling a mattress run around this promotion.
Old Jul 16, 18, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Hyatt Explorist, JetBlue Mosaic, Wyndham Diamond, National Executive
Just booked a couple of single night stays for next week in Las Vegas. Total of less than $100. Getting it done early is the best way to guarantee receipt of points.
Old Jul 17, 18, 10:22 am

If you choose the prepaid, nonrefundable rate (which is often the lowest), do you still need to check in? For me, the lowest rate room ($41) is 30 miles away, so I wouldn't mind not having to actually check in if I could still get the points and credit for the stay towards this promotion. Anyone have any experience doing it this way?

Last edited by kciflyer; Jul 17, 18 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 17, 18, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kciflyer View Post
If you choose the prepaid, nonrefundable rate (which is often the lowest), do you still need to check in? For me, the lowest rate room ($41) is 30 miles away, so I wouldn't mind not having to actually check in if I could still get the points and credit for the stay towards this promotion. Anyone have any experience doing it this way?
Yes. Personal data point as I forgot about my reservation and didn't cancel, so had to pay the cancellation fee. Didn't get any credit for it.
Old Jul 17, 18, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Yes. Personal data point as I forgot about my reservation and didn't cancel, so had to pay the cancellation fee. Didn't get any credit for it.
Thanks. That's what I figured.
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:27 am

Shame this offer is only available to US and Canada, the last offer without Masterpass was available for everyone I believe. Hopefully they do something for the rest of us..
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 18, 18, 12:19 pm

Hi did I read it right, you can earn this bonus twice? So after 4 separate qualified stays, earn 30,000 bonus points then? Or you can earn only once?
Old Jul 18, 18, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie View Post
Hi did I read it right, you can earn this bonus twice? So after 4 separate qualified stays, earn 30,000 bonus points then? Or you can earn only once?
where did you read you can earn it twice? its Stay 2 get 15k. Now if you have a 2nd acct SO and they are with you or its booked under their name with your name also on the res so you can check in , then both accts can potentially earn 15k

AFAIK all the Stay 2 get 15k has been limited to 1 per acct. what might be throwing you off is that they mention 2 Stays for 15k, but you earn 7500 pts after each so you can even do 1 Stay for 7500. You dont earn certs only pts and it does say the max is 15K, so Im lost to how you read it to mean you can do 4 Stays for 30k

Last edited by craz; Jul 18, 18 at 1:01 pm
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie View Post
You read it wrong. But what you read wrong is what "this bonus" is.

That's because "this bonus" actually is not a single 15000 bonus, it's two 7500 bonuses which add up to 15000.

So it's the 7500 bonus that you can get twice, not the 15000 (7500+7500) total of the two bonuses.
Old Jul 20, 18, 5:58 am

If you reserve through Masterpass, do you have to pay with that Master Card upon checkin? I would rather pay with my CSR.
Old Jul 20, 18, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Avis, Sixt
Originally Posted by brokestudent View Post
If you reserve through Masterpass, do you have to pay with that Master Card upon checkin? I would rather pay with my CSR.
No, you can pay with another card as stated in the terms & conditions. I also tested it with the previous Visa Checkout promotion and used an Amex card to pay.
Old Jul 22, 18, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know with other chains promos as long as I closed the bill out to the type of CC needed I got the promo bonus eg my bill is $115 and MC is needed, I use a Visa and have them charge it say $95 and then close the bill out by charging my MC the remainder at times even a single digit charge to the needed type of payment was enough
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by larsbutzmann View Post
No, you can pay with another card as stated in the terms & conditions. I also tested it with the previous Visa Checkout promotion and used an Amex card to pay.
In Visa Checkout I not only used an MC to pay at the hotel, but I put that same MC into Visa Checkout (yes, Visa Checkout accepted an MC as the card).

There may be a way to do that with MasterPass, but if so I don't know what the procedure is. (When I signed up for MasterPass, it somehow detected that I have CIti MC cards and prompted me to register one of those, which is what I wanted to do anyway at the time. But as a result, I don't know how to register a different card in MasterPass, while it was simple in Visa Signature.)
Old Jul 23, 18, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by brokestudent View Post
Just fyi, in the points game, the little transactions don't count (I presume you are going to book a $50-100 hotel with this). The difference in points is minimal.
It only matters if you do churning and manufactured spending. Otherwise if you do this every few weeks, gain a few hundred points, in a year you may have gained 5000 points!

Search this Thread