Recommend a Wyndham Property in New York

Old Apr 20, 18, 2:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Recommend a Wyndham Property in New York

Looking to book for one night in July. Ideally somewhere on Manhattan. I have a free reward night so looking to make the most of this, although would like somewhere that will ever allow late check outs or that will store our luggage for the day. At the moment my choices seem to be: Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown; The New Yorker; Wyndham Garden Chinatown.

Also, what are the rules regarding booking a 'go free' stay with regards cancellation?
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:13 am

NYC Wyndham thoughts?
Old Apr 20, 18, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Looking to book for one night in July. Ideally somewhere on Manhattan. I have a free reward night so looking to make the most of this, although would like somewhere that will ever allow late check outs or that will store our luggage for the day. At the moment my choices seem to be: Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown; The New Yorker; Wyndham Garden Chinatown.

Also, what are the rules regarding booking a 'go free' stay with regards cancellation?
I've never stayed at any of these hotels, but I have a reservation tonight at the New Yorker. My wife already checked in and we got a 1-bedroom suite with King bed on a high floor. It sounds really nice and only the standard 15k per night. Staff were also very helpful. No problems storing her luggage this morning and it's a convenient location. We plan to ask for a late check-out but that's always subject to availability.

Cancellation policy will vary hotel-to-hotel. I believe the New Yorker was 1 day in advance without penalty.
Old Apr 20, 18, 2:56 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Old Apr 21, 18, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
I've never stayed at any of these hotels, but I have a reservation tonight at the New Yorker. My wife already checked in and we got a 1-bedroom suite with King bed on a high floor. It sounds really nice and only the standard 15k per night. Staff were also very helpful. No problems storing her luggage this morning and it's a convenient location. We plan to ask for a late check-out but that's always subject to availability.

Cancellation policy will vary hotel-to-hotel. I believe the New Yorker was 1 day in advance without penalty.
Are you sure it was only 15k points per night? I have seen that hotel try to add a cash co-pay per night on point stays too. It’s a hotel-charged “resort” fee of sorts, whether they call it a destination or facilities fee or something else. Didn’t they try to charge that nightly fee on the 15k points per night rates?
Old Apr 21, 18, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

To add to the list above, I have also spotted the Tryp. This is showing on the Wyndham website but does come up when I conduct a search on the app. There is clearly availability but simply not showing on the app itself. Perhaps no reward availability whatsoever at this property.
Old Apr 23, 18, 8:50 am

Last time I looked at the redemption guidelines, Tryp properties have to be reserved via phone when redeeming points.
Old Apr 23, 18, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jebr View Post
Last time I looked at the redemption guidelines, Tryp properties have to be reserved via phone when redeeming points.
Just to add a bit more regarding Tryp properties, if they have a standard room available for 15K points, the website will show the 15K point availability, but will also state that you must call to reserve it. If the site does not show 15K availability, the room will not be available regardless of whether you call or not.
Old Apr 23, 18, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

Are you sure it was only 15k points per night? I have seen that hotel try to add a cash co-pay per night on point stays too. It’s a hotel-charged “resort” fee of sorts, whether they call it a destination or facilities fee or something else. Didn’t they try to charge that nightly fee on the 15k points per night rates?
Definitely only 15k points per night. The reservation e-mail initially said 30k points + $0 for 2 nights, and I had a zero balance when I checked out. If you can reserve a premium suite, this hotel is the truly awesome. We had a 575 sq. foot one-bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms, wet bar, fridge, and 6 seat dining table. The pull-out sofa was comfy for sleeping (my wife's parents took the king bedroom), but the most amazing thing was the private terrace, which was as almost as large as the suite itself and had amazing views of the west side of Manhattan, Hudson river and NJ. My toddler loved running around out there.

madfish, hi55us and chrisny2 like this.
Old Apr 23, 18, 11:56 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the continued replies.

Love the picture!
Old Apr 24, 18, 7:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Nice, I was faced with the same decision last December and booked the Wingate on 35th St since the New Yorker said the free night was only a single bed, looks like it has improved based on what the website is showing now and the review from above. It's certainly a great location, especially if taking the train from Penn Station (which is also easily connected to JFK and EWR).
Old Apr 24, 18, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
Thanks for the continued replies.

Love the picture!
Forgot to mention they offered late check-out until 1:30, beyond that for a fee. I mentioned I was a Platinum member (from the credit card) and they offered to extend it to 3:30, which was extremely generous. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful all the staff were at the New Yorker.
Old May 1, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
Forgot to mention they offered late check-out until 1:30, beyond that for a fee. I mentioned I was a Platinum member (from the credit card) and they offered to extend it to 3:30, which was extremely generous. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful all the staff were at the New Yorker.
Sounds like nothing but cock-eyed optimism to me.
Billy Mumphrey likes this.
Old May 6, 18, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Billy, I take it you were able to directly book a suite for 15,000 points? That's quite a deal!

I just booked a double double "2 Double Beds, Metro View Room, Non-Smoking" room, running $368 before taxes / fees during our 2-night, late October stay. I'm not sure what the difference between this and the "2 Double Beds, Metro Room, Non-Smoking" room is, other than that that room would be $332. No suites were available for Go Free awards.

I am Diamond, so should be entitled to suite upgrades if available, and a visitor's amenity (for Go Free Diamond guests). Anyone know what those offerings are like?

The recent tripadvisor reviews on this property are strong, so this seems like a good use of points. I was surprised to see that bookings for next weekend, May 11-13, are running only $140 a night.
Old May 7, 18, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Billy, I take it you were able to directly book a suite for 15,000 points? That's quite a deal!

I just booked a double double "2 Double Beds, Metro View Room, Non-Smoking" room, running $368 before taxes / fees during our 2-night, late October stay. I'm not sure what the difference between this and the "2 Double Beds, Metro Room, Non-Smoking" room is, other than that that room would be $332. No suites were available for Go Free awards.

I am Diamond, so should be entitled to suite upgrades if available, and a visitor's amenity (for Go Free Diamond guests). Anyone know what those offerings are like?

The recent tripadvisor reviews on this property are strong, so this seems like a good use of points. I was surprised to see that bookings for next weekend, May 11-13, are running only $140 a night.
Yes, the room type I booked was "premium queen suite". Some of these suites have large balconies (as shown above) and king size beds, and they were able to get us into one of these room types at check-in (perhaps because my wife checked in early). The total with taxes for our weekend stay was $600/night for the same room type, however I never use my Wyndham points for redemptions at less than 4 cents per point.

Search this Thread