Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wyndham Rewards Expiration - can you book for after expiration date?

Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

The draconian expiration policy of the Wyndham Rewards program sucks, but it is what it is.

I have a chunk of points which will expire in May 2019 (since they were earned 2015) - and a trip in December 2019 which I would like to use the points for.

My question is, can I wait until May 2019 and then make this booking - or will it refuse to accept a booking for after the expiration date?

Also, if it would accept the booking, I assume it goes without saying that I wouldn't get the points back if I canceled after May 2019!

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:28 pm

To my knowledge, you CAN book for post expiration date HOWEVER, the points do NOT get deducted in advance (and based on my recent request mere hours ago) the hotel is not able to deduct them prior to your stay (even if willing, they were - she tried, but to no avail, the system blocked her).

If a Wyndham rep would like to speak up otherwise that'd be great!!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! That is very odd, as every reservation I have made (Europe, USA) debits the points immediately upon reservation. Maybe it depends on the hotel booked, and whether you're doing a Go Fast or a Go Free award (I'm doing Go Frees)...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:35 am

When I made a reservation a couple weeks ago under a Go Free award, the points were removed from my account immediately. I'm not sure if they are truly removed or if it's just a customer-facing change in points available, but from the customer-facing end the points are removed immediately from your account.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:19 pm

When in May do the points expire ? Do you have a Wyndham Credit card ? If not there is a trick to extend the points 4 years. PM me if you want more info
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:33 am

hey guys. surprised this thread is dead. i have tons of points expiring due to wyndhams stupid policy. transfers to caesars are also capped. called support and was told to book past expiration date. i wanted to confirm they are correct. any DPs here?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
hey guys. surprised this thread is dead. i have tons of points expiring due to wyndhams stupid policy. transfers to caesars are also capped. called support and was told to book past expiration date. i wanted to confirm they are correct. any DPs here?
No idea, we move 30K points each to Caesars so no issues on the 4 year policy to date.

I have to ask though, why would you wait until your points are days away from expiring to ask this question ?

There ARE ways to extend ALL of your points for 4 years but that's not going to work by 12/31/2021.

I posted about this years ago and still get PM's every so often asking me how to extend all of your points for 4 years so I will post again.

I stumbled upon this a few years ago by mistake and used this exact method to extend all of my wife's points by 4 years in 2021.

Years ago when I applied for a Wyndham credit card I either forgot or Wyndham didn't enter my Wyndham # on the application so Wyndham made a new Wyndham points account for me to match the new credit card and put the bonus and all miles earned on the new credit card in the new points account........When I called they merged the accounts putting all of my existing Wyndham points in the NEW ACCOUNT and when I looked all my points had a expiration of 18 months and 4 years. This was a surprise to me.

In 2021 my wife got a Wyndham business card and we purposely never entered her Wyndham # on the application..........same exact scenario where they created a new Wyndham points account for the new Wyndham credit card........the key point is to merge all of your existing points into the NEW ACCOUNT.

If you run into any status issues where the new account is not Diamond simply match the Diamond status from Caesars.

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 31, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:59 pm

I had 15400 points expiring 12/31/2021 with another 15000 expiring 03/22. I booked a room for 03/21/22 with points at 1045 12/31/21. To my surprise 30000 points came off my account. I was told by two agents that if I booked before the points expired they could be used. Also, my Wyndham account showed only 4000 points expiring 12/31/2021. You can’t trust what your account says. The agents data told a totally different story. Even before this my account showed a few thousand points expiring in late 2022.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
My account showed I had 3,700 points expiring on 12-31. I really doubted the number because in September it showed a different number that was to expire. Months ago I reached out to Wyndham about the points showing as expiring and got nowhere with them. Several days ago, in an effort to use some of the 3,700 points expiring, I exchanged 3,000 points for a gift certificate. I know it's a terrible value and something I wouldn't normally do. I took screen prints before the exchange and after to show the expiring points didn't change. Today my account is down by over 32K points. The "my activity" section doesn't show anything about the points being deducted. Geez.... Now I have to deal with them to determine where my points went. Please tell me there is a Wyndham lurker on FT so I don't have to call.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I stumbled upon this a few years ago by mistake and used this exact method to extend all of my wife's points by 4 years in 2021.

Years ago when I applied for a Wyndham credit card I either forgot or Wyndham didn't enter my Wyndham # on the application so Wyndham made a new Wyndham points account for me to match the new credit card and put the bonus and all miles earned on the new credit card in the new points account........When I called they merged the accounts putting all of my existing Wyndham points in the NEW ACCOUNT and when I looked all my points had a expiration of 18 months and 4 years. This was a surprise to me.

In 2021 my wife got a Wyndham business card and we purposely never entered her Wyndham # on the application..........same exact scenario where they created a new Wyndham points account for the new Wyndham credit card........the key point is to merge all of your existing points into the NEW ACCOUNT.

If you run into any status issues where the new account is not Diamond simply match the Diamond status from Caesars.
good suggestion. ive seen that method discussed a few times on FT. i expected wyndham to extend all the points just like earlier in the year. but they didnt. 30k caesars is not enough for me. but youre able to book past the expiration date. so i booked all vacasa vacation homes. but if you cancel, you lose the points. im not going to create additional accounts on purpose for transfers. its not sustainable long term and dont want a new account number every 4 years.

Originally Posted by curunir
I had 15400 points expiring 12/31/2021 with another 15000 expiring 03/22. I booked a room for 03/21/22 with points at 1045 12/31/21. To my surprise 30000 points came off my account. I was told by two agents that if I booked before the points expired they could be used. Also, my Wyndham account showed only 4000 points expiring 12/31/2021. You can’t trust what your account says. The agents data told a totally different story. Even before this my account showed a few thousand points expiring in late 2022.
you cant trust the website. its broken. you have to call. thats the only way to get the real accurate expiration date.

Originally Posted by iris30
My account showed I had 3,700 points expiring on 12-31. I really doubted the number because in September it showed a different number that was to expire. Months ago I reached out to Wyndham about the points showing as expiring and got nowhere with them. Several days ago, in an effort to use some of the 3,700 points expiring, I exchanged 3,000 points for a gift certificate. I know it's a terrible value and something I wouldn't normally do. I took screen prints before the exchange and after to show the expiring points didn't change. Today my account is down by over 32K points. The "my activity" section doesn't show anything about the points being deducted. Geez.... Now I have to deal with them to determine where my points went. Please tell me there is a Wyndham lurker on FT so I don't have to call.
you need to call.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
good suggestion. ive seen that method discussed a few times on FT. i expected wyndham to extend all the points just like earlier in the year. but they didnt. 30k caesars is not enough for me. but youre able to book past the expiration date. so i booked all vacasa vacation homes. but if you cancel, you lose the points. im not going to create additional accounts on purpose for transfers. its not sustainable long term and dont want a new account number every 4 years

I have to ask , why are you using Wyndham then ?

If you earn so many Wyndham points that you can't use them (between 30K to CET and stays) within 4 years then change hotels /credit cards as I believe no other hotel program has points that expire.
sdsearch likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.