FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards-430/)
-   -   How Come Nobody Talks About Hawthorn Suites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards/1896247-how-come-nobody-talks-about-hawthorn-suites.html)

purplenightskylovertv Feb 28, 2018 11:42 am

How Come Nobody Talks About Hawthorn Suites

Just curious, how come nobody talks about Hawthorn Suites that often? To my credit, the Hyatt corporation used to deal with them.

sdsearch Feb 28, 2018 3:04 pm

In my case, I've never seen a Hawthorn Suites. They're not distributed as evenly as some of the other WyndhamRewards brands. For example, none in SoCal except way out in Victorville. And in general, they're only in about half the states (so there are whole groups of adjacent states with none in them).

https://www.allstays.com/hotels-by-chain/hawthorn.htm

Meanwhile, WyndhamRewards has tons of brands, and no one talks much about most of them. They'll mention one brand or another in passing that they've stayed at, gotten a reservation at, etc. The brands with the most locations tend to get the most of those kinds of mentions, of course.

And did you search of this forum? People have talked about them in the past:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wynd...st-buffet.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wynd...n-estates.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wynd...eattle-wa.html

That's about on par for any brand-specific discussions I've seen in the WyndhamRewards forum: Once in a rare moon (and thus almost never on the front page of the forum).

purplenightskylovertv Feb 28, 2018 4:16 pm

I bet Wyndham gave them a taste of their medicine when they adopted them from the Hyatt corporation. I mean, I did a Residence, Hyatt House, and Homewood before, and at least their breakfast would kick .... Towneplace breakfast from my experience...I heard it's crap.

In retrospect, Hawthorn seems to be its own little brand-it has taken over the debut-era Residence Inns and Homewoods, yet some of them are akin to a Mainstay/Towneplace/Candlewood even though Candlewood has no real breakfast.

Yes, there are Hawthorns out here in North Carolina, but none in my area.

sdsearch Feb 28, 2018 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 29470714)
Towneplace breakfast from my experience...I heard it's crap.

Actually, it varies. i stayed away from Towneplace for a few years after getting spoiled milk in a mini-carton there, but last year I needed someplace near the MSY (New Orleans) in Metarie, and the best cross between good reviews (including about the breakfast) and low prices in the Marriott program (where I was chasing a promo) was the TownePlace nearby the airport. And the breakfast while not as lavish as at Fairfield I found decent enough (though I don't remember the details).

So I would say breakfast is variable, rather than consistently crap, at Towneplace, and would recommend scoruing the reviews for what they say about the breakfast before booking one.

Btw, you may thin Fairfield has a decent breakfast, but there's at least one Fairfield (in Anaheim near Disneyland) that has no breakfast at all. I don't get why they call it a Fairfield if that's the case, surely there must be a better fit among Marriott's 30ish brands! :eek:

So if there can be a Farifield without a breakfast, I guess there can be a Hawthorn without a breakfast too. (I just hope they say so somehow in the particular hotel's amenities description.)

purplenightskylovertv Feb 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29471177)
Actually, it varies. i stayed away from Towneplace for a few years after getting spoiled milk in a mini-carton there, but last year I needed someplace near the MSY (New Orleans) in Metarie, and the best cross between good reviews (including about the breakfast) and low prices in the Marriott program (where I was chasing a promo) was the TownePlace nearby the airport. And the breakfast while not as lavish as at Fairfield I found decent enough (though I don't remember the details).

So I would say breakfast is variable, rather than consistently crap, at Towneplace, and would recommend scoruing the reviews for what they say about the breakfast before booking one.

Btw, you may thin Fairfield has a decent breakfast, but there's at least one Fairfield (in Anaheim near Disneyland) that has no breakfast at all. I don't get why they call it a Fairfield if that's the case, surely there must be a better fit among Marriott's 30ish brands! :eek:

So if there can be a Farifield without a breakfast, I guess there can be a Hawthorn without a breakfast too. (I just hope they say so somehow in the particular hotel's amenities description.)

Yes you are correct, reading the reviews helps. And a Fairfield without a breakfast......?

CMK10 Mar 8, 2018 8:17 am

I briefly considered staying at one in Charlotte, NC last month until I read the reviews for it. It seems more in like with a Candlewood Suites or Extended Stay America and I'm very picky about such hotels.

purplenightskylovertv Mar 9, 2018 9:55 am

I bet Hawthorn has its own identity.

GUWonder Mar 17, 2018 8:21 am

I've not used a Hawthorn since back when it was owned by Hyatt, and back then I would sometimes book them for reasons other than to even use the room.

purplenightskylovertv Mar 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 29535572)
I've not used a Hawthorn since back when it was owned by Hyatt, and back then I would sometimes book them for reasons other than to even use the room.

You mean like company travel?

sdsearch Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 29537583)

I doubt it. Why would some book a room that they don't need to use for corporate travel? (If someone were booking a room for someone else, I'd think that's what they'd say.)

To me, "for reasons other than to even use the room" sounds more a "mattress run"

Since you seem to have come to FLyerTalk mainly to discuss hotel brands you remember from the past, perhaps you're not familiar with the term "mattress run" (booking a hotel you don't need to stay at for some hotel-program-related reason, such as completing a promo which needs X stays for a big number of bonus points)?

GUWonder Mar 19, 2018 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker (Post 29537583)

Not most commonly. Although there were a few times where they were booked for company travel for reasons other than to even use the room. And there were the times when I had used them for nothing more than a way to qualify towad a hotel promotion, hotel status or a combination thereof.

But it’s been years since I’ve used them.

purplenightskylovertv Mar 19, 2018 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29540765)
I doubt it. Why would some book a room that they don't need to use for corporate travel? (If someone were booking a room for someone else, I'd think that's what they'd say.)

To me, "for reasons other than to even use the room" sounds more a "mattress run"

Since you seem to have come to FLyerTalk mainly to discuss hotel brands you remember from the past, perhaps you're not familiar with the term "mattress run" (booking a hotel you don't need to stay at for some hotel-program-related reason, such as completing a promo which needs X stays for a big number of bonus points)?

Of course I'm not familiar.

Irpworks May 2, 2018 11:05 pm

Dallas

There are some good Hawthorne properties in Dallas. All 3 we've used were fine.

purplenightskylovertv May 10, 2018 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Irpworks (Post 29709735)
There are some good Hawthorne properties in Dallas. All 3 we've used were fine.

I'm surprised.

purplenightskylovertv Oct 5, 2019 2:27 pm

Hawthorn can give you a room with full kitchen for $60. That sounds like a deal too good to be true, eh?