Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Promo ended early - earlier booking won't count

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

A supervisor told me that the visa checkout promo ended early on Jan 18.

I've never seen anything like this! - What it means is you'll never know if your booking will count towards a promo.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:51 pm

Really? They can just cancel a promotion early like that, without any notice? Unbelievable.

I stayed at a Days Inn on 1/26, which I chose solely because of the promotional bonus points. If I had known that the promotion had ended on 1/18, I would have cancelled and stayed at a nicer hotel. Seems like false advertising to me.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:09 pm

Ouch, that explains why I didn't get credit for my stays on 31 Jan and 1 Feb when I got the credit for an earlier night. Guess it'll be more of a fight than I thought...
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Sounds very bizarre to me. Are you sure that’s the accurate information?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:35 pm

Hello. Just a little clarification of what I have found out. The Visa checkout promo had been good for reservations made until January 31st for stays through February 28th....

Just book by 1/31/18 using Visa Checkout and complete your Qualified Stay by 2/28/18 to earn bonus points for up to 3 stays. It's as simple as...
1st stay = 3,000 bonus points
2nd stay = 5,000 bonus points
3rd stay = 7,000 bonus points

Best of all, that's on top of the points you regularly earn for your Qualified Stays.
*Terms and conditions apply.

The promotion was still on, but the book by date was moved back to January 18th for stays through February 28th. I was told that the bonus may take up to 8 weeks to be credited. Hopefully this helps some.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by michy9
Hello. Just a little clarification of what I have found out. The Visa checkout promo had been good for reservations made until January 31st for stays through February 28th....

Just book by 1/31/18 using Visa Checkout and complete your Qualified Stay by 2/28/18 to earn bonus points for up to 3 stays. It's as simple as...
1st stay = 3,000 bonus points
2nd stay = 5,000 bonus points
3rd stay = 7,000 bonus points

Best of all, that's on top of the points you regularly earn for your Qualified Stays.
*Terms and conditions apply.

The promotion was still on, but the book by date was moved back to January 18th for stays through February 28th. I was told that the bonus may take up to 8 weeks to be credited. Hopefully this helps some.
Well, that's somewhat more reasonable. Still disappointing, but at least it doesn't affect already booked reservations.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:07 pm

Sigh, I'm out of luck, then - I booked for January 31st and February 1st on January 29th, I think. I couldn't book before that but chose Wyndham over Point Breaks for our road trip because of the promo. The rep I just spoke with could only tell me that they'd ended it early for unexpected demand, and when I asked why they didn't tell those of us who had already registered for / started (I did earn 3000 on a single night stay from early January) the promotion, she said the T&Cs said they can cancel it at any time without further notice. I tried to argue that I'd have assumed that means they can cancel it without providing us any prior notice, but they still have a responsibility to let us know that it wasn't in effect anymore. She disagreeed and transferred me to customer care, who knew nothing about Wyndham Rewards but kindly offered to transfer me back. I declined, I'll see if there's anyone else in my boat who has a better resolution.

Last edited by synergistic; Feb 13, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Customer dissatisfaction - why is Wyndham so "against" its customers?

Lars from the other thread noted the promo was still live when he booked on 1/25. That seems to contradict the supervisor claiming the promo ended 1/18. If Wyndham decides to renege on the original promo terms, it's almost a case of false advertising - most people booked their initial stays with the goal of earning the full payout after completing the 3rd stay before 2/28.

Did you also speak to Christina the supervisor? - I wonder if she is BSing about the promo ending early because: 1) the promo was still displaying on the website in late Jan, and 2) they should at least make an announcement even if they are reneging on the original terms.

I'm surprised how dishonest Wyndham is. Even though I still had issues to resolve, Christina asked me to hang up because "her ride was waiting to pick her up." That sounded like - I can't help you anymore today, but if you'll do me this favor, I'll help you out tomorrow. We agreed she would call me back at noon because I told her I was busy earlier. The next day, she calls me an hour earlier then we agreed and leaves me a voicemail, saying that she was calling me at the time we agreed on. - With modern technology, how stupid do you think I am?

So I call back specifically asking for her - that's what she instructed me to do in her voicemail. But then Christina refuses to answer my call. Instead she has some younger agent talk with me while she listens on the side and guides him. In the end, she refuses to help further even though I did her a favor to hang up so she could catch her carpool ride.

I hope this is an isolated incident, but I see so many others going through similar ordeals.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Wow eethan, what a disconcerting story. That's weak customer service.

Certainly bad form to end a promo early like this...they should at least cite a reason, like "Visa ran out of promo funds when demand exceeded expectations" or some such.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:52 pm

Looks like they are reneging on the promo for all stays after 1/18, regardless of booking date

Hello (redacted),

Thank you for contacting Wyndham Rewards®.

Please be advised your stay on January 26, 2018 is not eligible for the Visa Checkout Promotion as the promotion ended on January 18, 2018.

In order to qualify and earn up to 15,000 bonus points for the Visa Checkout Promotion, you must book a qualifying reservation on the Wyndham Rewards mobile app or using the brand websites.

Keep in mind, wyndhamrewards.com bookings are not eligible towards this promotion.

You must book a stay between 11/1/2017 – 1/18/2018, stay between 11/1/2017 & 1/17/2018 and complete the stay by 2/28/2018.

There is a limit of three (3) bonuses, 3000 bonus points for the first stay, 5000 bonus points for the second stay and 7000 bonus points for the third stay.

It can take 6-8 weeks for bonus points to be credited to your account after your qualifying stay has been credited.

This promotion is available in the US & Canada (excluding Quebec).

A stay is defined as any number of consecutive nights at one of our participating hotel's regardless of check-ins or check-outs.

Bonus points will not be awarded with go fast or go free reservations.

For more information about Wyndham Rewards Terms & Conditions, please visit the website at www.wyndhamrewards.com.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,

(redacted)
Wyndham Rewards Member Services
Go Free, Go Fast, Go Get 'Em
www.wyndhamrewards.com
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Wow, that's insane. I don't think I have a leg to stand on, really, since I booked after the 18th, but those of you who booked before the promo ended - when the terms allowed for later stays - should be livid.

Hell, I'm pretty upset about it. I originally had every intention of planning our cross country drive around IHG Point Breaks, and there were still plenty of places available given that we honestly didn't care where we stopped for the night. Would have been half the cost - and zero cash - but we just figured 12k points made it worth our while to just pay for the stays. What was I supposed to do, call Wyndham to ask if they'd recently change the terms of the promo? Even worse for folks who booked while it was still valid, they DEFINITELY should have been notified and allowed to cancel any prepaid reservations.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

15 min to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau

If the promo was still advertising on the site on Jan 25, how can they just make up a promo end date of Jan 18?

I don't care if they ran out of funds - if your promo entices customer to reach a "goal" and then you remove the goalpost, that's false advertising.

To resolve this quickly, spend the 15 min to file a case with the BBB. - Wyndham will surely pony up the 10000 points to cleanse your complaint from their record.

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:41 pm

And the plot thickens... I sent them an email complaining that I booked in December, and asking if I could get the points as a courtesy. To which they responded:

Thank you for contacting Wyndham Rewards®.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion.

Qualifying stays that were booked prior to January 18, 2018 will still be honored for the promotion.

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for any applicable bonus points to be credited to your account after your qualifying stay has been credited.

For more information about Wyndham Rewards Terms & Conditions, please visit the website at www.wyndhamrewards.com.

If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.
So, if this latest email is correct, it looks like I will get the bonus points after all. (but given all the confusion so far, who knows what will actually happen...)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up Deals We Like makes a deal with WyndhamRewards regarding stays booked after Jan 18!

Anyone who stayed after Jan 18, but especially who booked after Jan 18, please read this Deals We Like (Boarding Area) blog:

Didn't Receive your Wyndham Points? Now you Can! - Deals We Like

It says that WR offered people who read that blog an email to use to request credit even if they booked after Jan 18. (People who booked before Jan 18 shouldn't need to request anything, just wait.) So read carefully and follow the directions there, and good luck!

(I found this link through the Doctor of Credit site.)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Anyone who stayed after Jan 18, but especially who booked after Jan 18, please read this Deals We Like (Boarding Area) blog:

Didn't Receive your Wyndham Points? Now you Can! - Deals We Like

It says that WR offered people who read that blog an email to use to request credit even if they booked after Jan 18. (People who booked before Jan 18 shouldn't need to request anything, just wait.) So read carefully and follow the directions there, and good luck!

(I found this link through the Doctor of Credit site.)
Thanks for the link! I had success in receiving my points when following the directions in that post. Hopefully others also have success with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.