Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

GoFast rates (+3000pts) more expensive than cash?

Old Jan 15, 18, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm seeing GoFast rates which require a redemption of 3000pts to be higher for some properties than just paying cash. Where's the logic in that? Do Wyndham points now have negative value?

For example, for a 2 night stay:
Cash: Total Cost* 252.38 USD
GoFast: Total Cost* 6,000 PTS 332.08 USD
Old Jan 16, 18, 1:55 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Yup, this is pretty typical. I've seen this regularly for properties with big seasonal changes, ie very high rates during summer weekends or conventions weekdays and very low rates during winter or weekends..
Old Jan 16, 18, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
Yup, this is pretty typical. I've seen this regularly for properties with big seasonal changes, ie very high rates during summer weekends or conventions weekdays and very low rates during winter or weekends..
I've been staying at Wyndham hotels for quite a few times and this is the first time I'm seeing GoFast rates higher than cash rates. Usually there's a big variation in value per point depending on whether it's high season or not, but I've never seen points being valued negative before.
Old Jan 16, 18, 11:36 am

The Go Fast rate is a set cash + 3000 points rate based on the ADR of a hotel, so it's possible that in low season the Go Fast rate is higher (since they don't do seasonal adjustments to the Go Fast rate as far as I know.)
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's kind of a shame that they've been making the Go Fast rates (money + 3000 points) significantly more expensive. I guess nobody really knows what Wyndham does, because none of the bloggers seem to follow them much. The problem with the Wyndham program is that it really only makes sense to redeem 15,000 points for their great properties -- and these are scarce. Nobody wants to redeem for a Super 8. But if they logically offered the inexpensive motels at cheap Go Fast prices -- like having the cash supplement be only $30 -- the Wyndham program would be great. In the past couple years, I have had some good Go Fast redemptions (in places like Hawaii and Argentina) but now almost all the Go Fast supplements seem too expensive. Not sure what Wyndham is thinking. Given that the majority of their properties are lower priced motels, it would seem to make sense that their customers would want to redeem for these properties as well. I'm guessing some members do blow 15000 points on a $79 hotel room, but I'm sure most don't. It kind of saps the enthusiasm to be an active participant in their loyalty program.
Old Jan 22, 18, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
It's kind of a shame that they've been making the Go Fast rates (money + 3000 points) significantly more expensive. I guess nobody really knows what Wyndham does, because none of the bloggers seem to follow them much. The problem with the Wyndham program is that it really only makes sense to redeem 15,000 points for their great properties -- and these are scarce. Nobody wants to redeem for a Super 8. But if they logically offered the inexpensive motels at cheap Go Fast prices -- like having the cash supplement be only $30 -- the Wyndham program would be great. In the past couple years, I have had some good Go Fast redemptions (in places like Hawaii and Argentina) but now almost all the Go Fast supplements seem too expensive. Not sure what Wyndham is thinking. Given that the majority of their properties are lower priced motels, it would seem to make sense that their customers would want to redeem for these properties as well. I'm guessing some members do blow 15000 points on a $79 hotel room, but I'm sure most don't. It kind of saps the enthusiasm to be an active participant in their loyalty program.
Lower priced most of the time, but not necessarily all of the time.

I loved being able to redeem 15000 points for a Days Inn, when it was $1016 (to $1400 later to $400ish last-minute) because of the eclipse (it was near, but not actually inside, the zone of totality). Obviously, I would not have redeemed 15000 points if it was its "normal" rate.

You're forgetting that in additional to aspirational properties, there are ordinary properties which can be used for aspirational events.

The eclipse was a perfect example, but far from the only example, of 15000 points being a godsend when all the "main" hotel program properties are sold out (on points redemptions, at least) and the lower-end WR properties are the only hotels available on points, and all hotels on cash are super-expensive.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Lower priced most of the time, but not necessarily all of the time.

I loved being able to redeem 15000 points for a Days Inn, when it was $1016 (to $1400 later to $400ish last-minute) because of the eclipse (it was near, but not actually inside, the zone of totality). Obviously, I would not have redeemed 15000 points if it was its "normal" rate.

You're forgetting that in additional to aspirational properties, there are ordinary properties which can be used for aspirational events.

The eclipse was a perfect example, but far from the only example, of 15000 points being a godsend when all the "main" hotel program properties are sold out (on points redemptions, at least) and the lower-end WR properties are the only hotels available on points, and all hotels on cash are super-expensive.
Yup, I've done this once too (huge Vegas convention when all rooms in town were booked), but this isn't a very common thing. Indeed, I was at the eclipse in Tennessee, and I preferred a Hampton Inn at the standard redemption level. That's because 20,000 Hilton points will (probably) never get me into a resort property or 5 star hotel, but 15000 Wyndham points will. So using Wyndham for a Days Inn would kind of be a last resort.

BTW, charging $1000+ for a Days Inn during the Eclipse is the definition of "chutzpah" (or gouging) to me. I have seen Econolodges in small towns with college graduations go as high as $500. That's pricey, but this was insane (especially since there was a 2000-mile eclipse band).
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Yup, I've done this once too (huge Vegas convention when all rooms in town were booked), but this isn't a very common thing. Indeed, I was at the eclipse in Tennessee, and I preferred a Hampton Inn at the standard redemption level. That's because 20,000 Hilton points will (probably) never get me into a resort property or 5 star hotel, but 15000 Wyndham points will. So using Wyndham for a Days Inn would kind of be a last resort.

BTW, charging $1000+ for a Days Inn during the Eclipse is the definition of "chutzpah" (or gouging) to me. I have seen Econolodges in small towns with college graduations go as high as $500. That's pricey, but this was insane (especially since there was a 2000-mile eclipse band).
You went in Tennessee where there are way more hotel options that in relatively rural central Oregon east of the Cascades. The Days Inn I got was in Bend OR (about half hour drive outside of the band of totality), and the main town up inside totality (Madras OR) has a whopping total of 3 hotels, 2 Choice and 1 indie. Madras has a 6000ish population, maybe around 10k once you factor in the surrounding area, but that weekend the ballooned to about 200k people staying there (most camping out on farmland converted to eclipse RV/etc parking lots). When it's estimated that 100s of thousands of visitors are coming to an area with very few hotels, it's understandable that hotels may try to keep rooms available by charging high rates, when most of the rooms have already been booked up.

There was another thread here in the WR forum about people finding only a Super 8 in Jackson WY (actually in totality) for 15k, about a year out, when all the other points-bookable hotels in town were already sold out. And, again, there's no other towns close to Grand Teton NP.

So the hotel options were completely different in the west (whether Oregon or Idaho or Wyoming) because of the sparsely-populated areas the totality path went through once you got east of the Cascades (which, in weather statistics terms, increases the likelihood of clear skies that time of year). But some people who had to fly anyway to get to totality decided they'd prefer to go out west, whether because of greater chance (months out when you're reserving) of clearer skies, and/or just because of the viewing environment. (Out west where the eclipse was mid-morning, it was at a lower angle than further east where it was at midday. At lower sun angles, in totality you can see the eclipse framed by the surrounding landscape more so than when the sun is almost straight up.)
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:31 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jebr View Post
The Go Fast rate is a set cash + 3000 points rate based on the ADR of a hotel, so it's possible that in low season the Go Fast rate is higher (since they don't do seasonal adjustments to the Go Fast rate as far as I know.)
exactly... just check out rates at a California coastal property on a summer weekend and a winter weekday, for example Monterey. The same hotel will be $50 on winter weekday and $200 on summer weekend - and the GoFast cash portion will be $85 or more....

Search this Thread