The value of WR points?

Old Sep 10, 17, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
The value of WR points?

What do you think a fair value of WR points? Is it better than Amex MR? What would you prefer 1 WR or 1 MR point?
Old Sep 11, 17, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi View Post
What do you think a fair value of WR points? Is it better than Amex MR? What would you prefer 1 WR or 1 MR point?
It completely depends on where you redeem, because the redemption cost is fixed at 15k points / night.

Redeem 15k points for a property that costs $400 (including taxes) and that's 2.7 cpp (cents per point). But redeem that same 15k points for a property that costs $200 and that's 1.3 cpp, and redeem that same 15k points for property that only costs $75 and that's 0.5 cpp.

(You can also use GoFast, which is points + cash, rather than GoFree. GoFast sometimes gives better value (than either GoFree or just paying), but isn't always available. But it doesn't have a fixed value, ie, the points part of GoFast is always 3000 points but the cash component varies. So it's much harder to analyze.)

Meanwhile, the value of 1 Amex MR also depends on how you redeem. It's valued poorly (but fixed value) if you redeem Amex MR for cash-equivalent stuff, but if you transfer to an airline then it depends on what redemption value you get at that airline. If you get good redemption value for business class longhaul, and you're actually comparing to the price it would cost in cash (which some people feel is not valid if you would never actually pay that price), then the value of 1 MR in that case might be more than 2 cpp. But if you can't get good redemption value, the value of 1 MR might be way lower.

And thus the value of 1 WR point may be much lower or much higher than the value of 1 Amex MR points, depending on how you use each!

But they're used for such different things (Amex MR is best used for flights, WR is used for hotels), I don't even understand why you're trying to compare them. Amex MR has very poor transfer ratios to hotels, so if you only meant Amex MR for hotels, then I'd say WR is better value.

But: Most WyndhamRewards properties are low-end (Super 8, Days Inn, etc). Midscale properties are fairly rare, and FS Wyndhams are not that common either. So it can depend on how "picky" you are about hotel categories as to how useful WyndhamRewards will be to you.

Me, I treasure WyndhamRewards because I was able to use 15000 points for a Days Inn the morning of the total eclipse 15 miles south of the totality zone. It cost $1016 cash at the time I booked it, it went up to $1400 cash a bit later, but came down to about $400 earlier on the day of check-in. (So that's why I only used the value of $400 above.) Having any hotel, even only a Days Inn, 15 miles from the totality zone on the morning of the eclipse on a points redemption was way more important to me than the amenities at the hotel. But that's me, not everyone looks at hotels the same way.
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've been putting a lot of my everyday spend on the Wyndham Rewards card because I frequently travel to Boston and New York and being able to use 15k points when rates are high give me fantastic value. I used 15k points on 4th of July in Boston when the Wyndham was asking $600/night.

Here's how I figure it. 15,000 points a night, if I redeem it for a hotel that costs more than $150 a night, I make out ahead. Obviously, if you use it on a $50/night Super 8, the credit card and the rewards program, is lousy.
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It completely depends on where you redeem, because the redemption cost is fixed at 15k points / night.

Redeem 15k points for a property that costs $400 (including taxes) and that's 2.7 cpp (cents per point). But redeem that same 15k points for a property that costs $200 and that's 1.3 cpp, and redeem that same 15k points for property that only costs $75 and that's 0.5 cpp.

(You can also use GoFast, which is points + cash, rather than GoFree. GoFast sometimes gives better value (than either GoFree or just paying), but isn't always available. But it doesn't have a fixed value, ie, the points part of GoFast is always 3000 points but the cash component varies. So it's much harder to analyze.)

Meanwhile, the value of 1 Amex MR also depends on how you redeem. It's valued poorly (but fixed value) if you redeem Amex MR for cash-equivalent stuff, but if you transfer to an airline then it depends on what redemption value you get at that airline. If you get good redemption value for business class longhaul, and you're actually comparing to the price it would cost in cash (which some people feel is not valid if you would never actually pay that price), then the value of 1 MR in that case might be more than 2 cpp. But if you can't get good redemption value, the value of 1 MR might be way lower.

And thus the value of 1 WR point may be much lower or much higher than the value of 1 Amex MR points, depending on how you use each!

But they're used for such different things (Amex MR is best used for flights, WR is used for hotels), I don't even understand why you're trying to compare them. Amex MR has very poor transfer ratios to hotels, so if you only meant Amex MR for hotels, then I'd say WR is better value.

But: Most WyndhamRewards properties are low-end (Super 8, Days Inn, etc). Midscale properties are fairly rare, and FS Wyndhams are not that common either. So it can depend on how "picky" you are about hotel categories as to how useful WyndhamRewards will be to you.

Me, I treasure WyndhamRewards because I was able to use 15000 points for a Days Inn the morning of the total eclipse 15 miles south of the totality zone. It cost $1016 cash at the time I booked it, it went up to $1400 cash a bit later, but came down to about $400 earlier on the day of check-in. (So that's why I only used the value of $400 above.) Having any hotel, even only a Days Inn, 15 miles from the totality zone on the morning of the eclipse on a points redemption was way more important to me than the amenities at the hotel. But that's me, not everyone looks at hotels the same way.
So you've got 2.67cpp which is not bad. But you never knew what the price gonna be at last night, so it may be more. I'm mainly targeting all-inclusive properties in Mexico and elsewhere, or super expensive places such as California, Hawaii, etc. What's the rate gonna be there?
Old Sep 11, 17, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
I've been putting a lot of my everyday spend on the Wyndham Rewards card because I frequently travel to Boston and New York and being able to use 15k points when rates are high give me fantastic value. I used 15k points on 4th of July in Boston when the Wyndham was asking $600/night.

Here's how I figure it. 15,000 points a night, if I redeem it for a hotel that costs more than $150 a night, I make out ahead. Obviously, if you use it on a $50/night Super 8, the credit card and the rewards program, is lousy.
No, $150 per night is not gonna do it. I'm talking about 2+ cpp, that means $300+ per night.
Old Sep 12, 17, 7:49 am

So you've got 2.67cpp which is not bad. But you never knew what the price gonna be at last night, so it may be more. I'm mainly targeting all-inclusive properties in Mexico and elsewhere, or super expensive places such as California, Hawaii, etc. What's the rate gonna be there?

I'm also interested in all-inclusive hotels in Mexico and did some research. The availability is great and the price is around $180 for off season and $500+ for peak season. The all-inclusive properties in Mexico get pretty solid reviews on tripadvisor. To me this is hidden gems and I want to stay at one of their all-inclusive properties in the future.

Regarding properties in Hawaii, there are not many good ones.
Old Sep 12, 17, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, $150 per night is not gonna do it. I'm talking about 2+ cpp, that means $300+ per night.
But you have to balance that with WR's 4 year hard expiration. You can't necessarily (unless "tricks" to extend hard expiration continue to work when you need them) "bank" a whole of bunch of WR points waiting for the years in which you'll be able to use that at that value (such as the 2024 cross-USA total eclipse?), if you rarely travel to cities where WR has nice hotels in the right area that provide you that value. (Since I'm usually renting cars and often doing things outside the big city, I often want hotels in the suburbs or in smaller cities/towns, where WR's hotels are the low-end kind typically, even though other hotel programs often have at least midscale very often.)

WR is the last hotel program I can think of that still has hard expiration. (Choice got rid of theirs a year ago or so, so it is now possible to "bank" Choice points forever -- as long as you defer expiration periodically -- but still not WyndhamRewards.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 12, 17 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 12, 17, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm mainly targeting all-inclusive properties in Mexico and elsewhere, or super expensive places such as California, Hawaii, etc. What's the rate gonna be there?
as for HI, I tried the other day to book 1 night and most places have a min (dont know what it is)In HNL only The Ramada would allow 1 nighters but their rate was $125 and not in Waikiki where I wanted to be.And most locations I believe are Wyndham time-share places, which might work for some and not for others
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by lincoln boy View Post
I'm also interested in all-inclusive hotels in Mexico and did some research. The availability is great and the price is around $180 for off season and $500+ for peak season. The all-inclusive properties in Mexico get pretty solid reviews on tripadvisor. To me this is hidden gems and I want to stay at one of their all-inclusive properties in the future.

Regarding properties in Hawaii, there are not many good ones.

There are 12 Wyndham timeshare properties in Hawaii, some look beautiful

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...esort/overview

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...illas/overview
Old Sep 12, 17, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
There are 12 Wyndham timeshare properties in Hawaii, some look beautiful

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...esort/overview

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndha...illas/overview

Indeed they look nice. For some reasons the availabilities of those timeshare properties in Hawaii are not the greatest. Plus you would have to call. For me WR points shine when redeemed for all-inclusive properties. You can search the availability of the all-inclusive properties online and easily find the availability even during holidays.

That being said, I want to hear WR experts' experiences for Hawaii timeshare properties.
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not a real comparison. I had a ton of Wyndham points because there was a time that I frequently stayed at one of their most expensive properties. I did not use them for awhile, then I had to do an event abroad where I had to cover several peoples rooms for several nights, rates were ridiculous for one property and semi ridiculous for another - i.e. $350+ per night for the first and 200+ for the second, I used Go Free's for the first and Go Fast's for the second and saved myself serious money. I find myself maybe once or twice a year in a non-prime place at a prime time, the kind of places where a Wingate goes for $300+, in those cases these points have really come in handy. Hilton and Hyatt and to a lesser extent Starwood have been my goto chains for years, but I am talking about places where these do not exist.
Old Sep 14, 17, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
It is not a real comparison. I had a ton of Wyndham points because there was a time that I frequently stayed at one of their most expensive properties. I did not use them for awhile, then I had to do an event abroad where I had to cover several peoples rooms for several nights, rates were ridiculous for one property and semi ridiculous for another - i.e. $350+ per night for the first and 200+ for the second, I used Go Free's for the first and Go Fast's for the second and saved myself serious money. I find myself maybe once or twice a year in a non-prime place at a prime time, the kind of places where a Wingate goes for $300+, in those cases these points have really come in handy. Hilton and Hyatt and to a lesser extent Starwood have been my goto chains for years, but I am talking about places where these do not exist.
Ok, but where are all these places where no Hilton Honors or Starwood properties exist but a Wingate (ie, not just a Super 8 or Days Inn or Travelodge) exists?

In most places where I find one Wingate, I find at least several Hamptons and/or other HH (or SPG) properties.

Search this Thread