compensation for walked at days inn

Old Jun 5, 17, 12:15 am
Original Poster

compensation for walked at days inn

Tried to check in at Days Inn for cash plus points reservation. No one at check in- sign says "be back in 10 minutes." Left voicemails and phone corporate Wyndham line who confirmed unable to reach anyone but refused to help me book hotel in city, only Days Inn 45 minutes away which wouldn't work. Pretty irate is this was at 10:10-11 PM. Paid out of my pocket for Holiday Inn. At the least I'm gonna ask them to cover my cash plus points plus the Holiday Inn, what else would be reasonable? This made me late next AM...
Old Jun 5, 17, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
How did it make you late the next am?

I'd be pissed off too. Industry standard for being "walked" is no charge for the night plus pay for your other room. Doubt you'll get more than that, though the missing employee should get fired.
Old Jun 6, 17, 11:47 am

I agree with Doc. Wyndham should credit back your points plus cover your first night at the Holiday Inn. Other than that, I am sorry for your difficulty. There's nothing worse than checking into a hotel late and night, but then having to go through your ordeal, is unacceptable.

Normally I would now make a snide comment about Wyndham, but their actions just spoke volumes.
Old Jun 6, 17, 9:14 pm

Programs: Wyndham
Just to play devils advocate - isn't your problem with the management and desk clerk at the Days Inn who decided for some unknown reason to leave their post and go missing?

I don't think Wyndham Rewards can force reservations to a privately owned property.

Sometimes I use Wyndham app on my phone even when Im in the parking lot to make reservations so I don't have to deal with the late night staff working in those hotels.

Anyway hope Wyndham floats you some points for your inconvenience.
Old Jun 6, 17, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Had they attended to me immediately, and supposing they were overbooked, and at check in told me they had a room reserved at the Days Inn's expense, say the Holiday Inn and all I had to do was drive over three minutes, I wouldn't have tried to hit them up for a whole lot because the Holiday Inn is nicer than the Days Inn, the equivalent of a free upgrade.

But the fact that the sign said they were gonna be back in 10 minutes and I spent a hour, especially late at night, before I left for the Holiday Inn, was an aggravating factor.

I was late the next morning because by the time I switched hotels, got checked into my room and settled I overslept meeting friends the next morning, which was partly my own doing; I didn't complain to Wyndham about this but was nevertheless upset.

Regardless of whether Wyndham central (wyndham rewards closed this late) can push reservations to a different hotel, Customer Care didn't contact me the next day despite the fact that the Wyndham agent told me they would. Another example of dropping the ball.

At the very minimum I want my points credited back and the Holiday Inn paid for. There were no other Wyndham properties in this town that central reservations could've offered me.
Old Jun 9, 17, 2:01 am

I agree. They should float you points for service recovery alone and a few more for not following through. Good luck.
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:34 am

I would hope they'd treat it as a full-on walk - refund the cash+points and pay for the night at the Holiday Inn. Normally such a thing is handled very politely, with apologies all around and such. I think an additional handful of points might be in order because of the hour delay.

With all that said, I'm not optimistic that you'll get anything other than the refund of your cash+points. I had a bad experience at a Wyndham property some years back. Arguably not their fault (arguably!) and the only resolution was a refund - they didn't cover the alternate hotel.
Old Jun 12, 17, 1:53 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
What happened with this OP? Any update?
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, customer service just phoned me and basically told me to pound sand. They will refund my 3000 points and what I paid for Days Inn. Won't pay for Holiday Inn or give me any compensation for waiting an hour (which was really annoying late at night as you can imagine). Incredibly, they told me I should've phoned in the night of to take care of this- which I most definitely did (and have proof on my iphone/ cell phone bill)- even more incredibly, customer service told me i phoned the wrong number!!! (This isn't true at all, the agent I spoke with told me customer service would phone me the next day- which they didn't).

I asked for a supervisor- they said they were the supervisor and nothing could be done. I asked for their legal department- they wouldn't give me any information.

What should I do? I emailed them again with proof I phoned the night of (and have several time stamped photos proving I was there, etc). File in small claims or civil court? (Fortunately I have someone to help me/ experience with this. I would recover my filing fees along with any damages.) Already have their Registered Agent and President (Mark Kukulski) to serve a suit on.

Am I being reasonable or asking too little or too much? I mean at the least they should refund me the difference between Days and Holiday Inn (about $130), if not give me something for my trouble... I'm still gonna ask for the whole $208, my points back, and something for my trouble (my salary times one hour that I waited).

Last edited by schistosomiasis; Jun 12, 17 at 5:49 pm
Old Jun 15, 17, 11:55 pm

Anything more than what you already have would probably be a waste of time. To bad you can't call the owner of the hotel and explain to him that his desk clerk was missing for > hour from his post. I doubt any businessman would allow that type of behavior to continue. Morons like that make business travel tough.
Old Jun 18, 17, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Just curious -- what city was this in? It'd be good to know which Days Inn we should avoid.
Old Jun 18, 17, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis View Post
Yeah, customer service just phoned me and basically told me to pound sand. They will refund my 3000 points and what I paid for Days Inn. Won't pay for Holiday Inn or give me any compensation for waiting an hour (which was really annoying late at night as you can imagine). Incredibly, they told me I should've phoned in the night of to take care of this- which I most definitely did (and have proof on my iphone/ cell phone bill)- even more incredibly, customer service told me i phoned the wrong number!!! (This isn't true at all, the agent I spoke with told me customer service would phone me the next day- which they didn't).

I asked for a supervisor- they said they were the supervisor and nothing could be done. I asked for their legal department- they wouldn't give me any information.

What should I do? I emailed them again with proof I phoned the night of (and have several time stamped photos proving I was there, etc). File in small claims or civil court? (Fortunately I have someone to help me/ experience with this. I would recover my filing fees along with any damages.) Already have their Registered Agent and President (Mark Kukulski) to serve a suit on.

Am I being reasonable or asking too little or too much? I mean at the least they should refund me the difference between Days and Holiday Inn (about $130), if not give me something for my trouble... I'm still gonna ask for the whole $208, my points back, and something for my trouble (my salary times one hour that I waited).
OP I wouldnt have been a happy camper either, but the only way it would have been a "walk" is if all the rooms were already occupied when you got there, since no one was at the FD, how did you know that to be the case? Do you know if they ended up with no-shows and had empty rooms.

What you were entitled to was compensation and it seems from what you posted they refunded you everything you were using to pay for the DI = you were made whole. Now if they indeed had an empty room for you and on your own you went elsewhere then they didnt even have to refund what they did. No different then when folks hit Irrops and didnt want to wait on the very long line and either booked a hotel for the night or made ares with another carrier and expected to be refunded for their outlay, if they didnt get permission to do what they did then they were on their own and in many cases wont get a dime back.

As I said I too wouldnt have been a happy camper but I would have been happy not being charged
Old Jun 22, 17, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

!

Craz, with due respect I made every effort to contact the front desk (phoned several times as well as phone Wyndham reservations- who told me the nearest hotel was 45 minutes away) as well as wait for an hour. The equivalent is if an airline cancelled your flight and refused to take any phone calls to assist to rebook you.

It's the Days Inn Kokopelli.

I'm not expecting any additional compensation, but it sucked and is poor service to not honor a reservation/ make me wait an hour, and make me book elsewhere last minute at a higher rate.

Last edited by schistosomiasis; Jul 16, 17 at 2:34 pm
Old Jun 23, 17, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schistosomiasis View Post
Craz, with due respect I made every effort to contact the front desk (phoned several times as well as phone Wyndham reservations- who told me the nearest hotel was 45 minutes away) as well as wait for an hour. The equivalent is if an airline cancelled your flight and refused to take any phone calls to assist to rebook you.

It's the Days Inn Kokopelli in Sedona AZ. Don't ever stay there!

I'm not expecting any additional compensation, but it sucked and is poor service to not honor a reservation/ make me wait an hour, and make me book elsewhere last minute at a higher rate.
Have you tried calling DL,AA UA this week, yesterday DL said they will have someone call me back in 2-3 hours. Friends that were caught in PHX and LAS said the lines for rebooking were miles long. the 1 thing I told each person was unless you want to pay out of pocket and not get a refund(for the new tkt) dont do anything on your own w/o 1st speaking to an airline csr. For 1 guy that ended up not getting rebooked for 2 extra days since everything was booked by the time he spoke to a csr Yes it STINKS but at times thats what happens and another friend simply purchased a tkt on a different carrier since he had to get back, very expensive but he would have lost more if he didnt get back, the carrier in the end agreed to give him a voucher for the flight he paid for and didnt fly which was next to nothing compared to the fare of the tkt he purchased

If I had an important obligation the next morn as you said you did then I would have done what you did, only difference is I would have asked for compensation as you did but I wouldnt have expected any unless a csr gave me the go ahead and would have expected a refund only of the means I was using to pay for the night. yea it STINKS recourse is to not book there again and possibly not staying at any other Wyndham hotel since it seems they dont care about the guests

Again when you were at the FD do you know for a fact that every room was occupied already which would have resulted in a "Walk", being soldout or oversold doesnt mean when a person gets to the FD that there arent any rooms left, yes if oversold and everyone shows up eventually someone will be holding the short stick but unless there was a sign saying soldout all rooms occupied already so if you have a res sorry, theres no way to know if in fact when you showed up if all the rooms were occupied

Im not saying what you did was wrong and I too if I had no choice would have done as you did, only difference is once I do something on my own ,Im on my own and know it will most likely be at my expense And frankly Im surprised that they didnt throw you a bone of a few 1000 pts, not for being "Walked"(you werent You walked yourself) but for no one at the FD for over an hour to handle your check-in
Old Jul 16, 17, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

So after some persistence the management/ owner of the hotel got back to me. The front desk was out handling a maintenance problem. If they had simply left a explanation and their cell phone for me to call instead of the "be back in 10 minutes" all of this could have been avoided. They're sending me a check for my stay at the Holiday Inn which I feel is in good faith/ acting reasonably.

If it were up to me, I'd rather have been checked in and not ever had to complain, but they did their part to make me whole.

Search this Thread