Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Denied suite upgrade when one was available Wyndham Deerfield Beach - Diamond member

Denied suite upgrade when one was available Wyndham Deerfield Beach - Diamond member

Old Feb 2, 17, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

The "level perks" for a Diamond member state this:

"Upgrade to a suite, every time you stay—even when you stay on a go freeSM or go fastSM award night.
Subject to availability at check-in for Qualified Stays, Go Free Award stays & Go Fast Award stays at select Participating Hotels that offer suites. Subject to additional restrictions"

I used a "go free" award night at this property and tried to check in early. No rooms were ready so I inquired about a possible upgrade to a suite. I knew a suite was available because I had just checked the app on my phone. The clerk said "oh we only have a few of those but we can upgrade to an ocean view room." I then proceeded to show her the suite upgrade perk on my phone and asked if this doesn't apply and she basically just said "no."

Excuse me? It states "upgrade to a suite" not "upgrade to the next best room." I take this seriously because the whole point of me attaining Diamond status was to enjoy the perks! Being a Diamond member at most Wyndham properties is irrelevant because most don't even offer suites! That's why I specifically chose a property that does so that I get what is entitled per the terms and conditions!

I had to wait a couple of hours until a room was ready and in the meantime I called Diamond Concierge. The agent said that they called the hotel and the person said "no suites were available." Again, that's total BS. Suites were available they just didn't want to give me one.

Once I finally checked in they put me on the SECOND floor in a corner room room with an amazing view of the large A/C unit. Woohoo! Just checked the app again and suites are still available!

So what gives? What's the point of offering suite upgrades as a perk for Diamond if the properties that actually have suites deny you the upgrade?
Old Feb 6, 17, 1:56 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Hi CCMember!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience on property. I would like to investigate this further and take any corrective action that is necessary. Will you please private message me your Wyndham Rewards member number and dates of stay at the Deerfield Beach property.

--Wyndham Alison
Old Feb 18, 17, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
This is my worry about this with Wyndham.

One could say 'maybe someone is going to pay for the suite' at some point. So they can just never give them out.

I've barely been offered a bottle of water or chips as a Diamond. And I qualified the day it launched from previous stays and almost instantly re-qualified.
Old Apr 5, 17, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Never heard any feedback from this. Just checked into the Wyndham Garden near La Cantera in San Antonio. Diamond status wasn't even acknowledged/recognized nor was I offered a suite upgrade even though they're available. I'm beginning to feel like Diamond status is utterly worthless.
Old May 4, 17, 2:04 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Just based on my awful experiences dealing with Wyndham trying to book a "simple" award--I would never even dream about trying to get elite status with Wyndham.

Wyndham defines "bottom of the barrel" in the loyalty stakes
Old May 4, 17, 9:22 pm

Programs: Wyndham
Smile

I am actually in a condo right now that I booked through Wyndham Vacation Rentals. It's in the Phoenix V in Orange Beach. The property is managed by Kaiser (wyndham) out of Gulf Shores and they have a few hundred condos, houses, and cottages. Anyway process was painless and I'll post about the experience. I'm Diamond with Wyndham and overall I am very pleased with my treatment however I'm more of a working class guy so I'm not used to all of the
Bowing and genuflecting that they do at the more premium loyalty programs.
Old Oct 24, 17, 4:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by Wyndham Alison View Post
Hi CCMember!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience on property. I would like to investigate this further and take any corrective action that is necessary. Will you please private message me your Wyndham Rewards member number and dates of stay at the Deerfield Beach property. --Wyndham Alison
As a newly minted Diamond level member, I'm curious as to how this situation was resolved.

To be honest, I don't really expect to be upgraded into a suite, much less anything else. My prior Platinum status has never before been mentioned or acknowledged at check-in and I suspect many of the desk clerks aren't even aware of such things and couldn't care less regardless. Indeed, my first experience as a Diamond level member was that upon calling the hotel for pickup after my late night arrival, I was informed that the hotel had been overbooked. I was left with absolutely nothing except a rote apology. Beyond that, no help relocating me to another property or anything else. Just "Sorry". At 1:00am.

The primary benefit of Wyndham Rewards for me is a good selection of decently priced properties and the GoFast Awards.

The fact that there's no active thread here addressing other's experiences with these Diamond upgrades suggests that they either aren't happening very often or that the few Diamonds that post here may not care enough to address this issue anyway. Either way, I'm satisfied with the good rates I get though in the interests of program integrity I think Wyndham Rewards would do well to drop this upgrade tease (especially since most of the desk clerks I've encountered have no idea about things like program status) and perhaps instead reward us Diamonds with say, double points.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 24, 17 at 4:55 am
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by CCMember View Post
Never heard any feedback from this. Just checked into the Wyndham Garden near La Cantera in San Antonio. Diamond status wasn't even acknowledged/recognized nor was I offered a suite upgrade even though they're available. I'm beginning to feel like Diamond status is utterly worthless.
Ever heard anything from Wyndham Alison? Does he/she even exist anymore?

Given that this issue is being suffered and addressed here by Wyndham Rewards' most loyal (so far) and by extension elite members, I would have expected a more proactive response from Wyndham Rewards management - if only in the form of Wyndham Alison who has not posted here since July and it would appear has retired for good.

Marriott Rewards is looking better and better, especially now that I've got a company paying for the rooms.
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:38 am

Given that the elite benefits are few and the good ones are rarely available, we see no worthwhile value to any sort of status with Wyndham. We just chase promos and redeem for GoFast on our two separate accounts. I think we got something like 38k in each of our accounts last year, with five nights/stays apiece. 76k points for less than $750, and the GoFast awards have yielded very good points values when we've used them. It's our most valuable hotel program, but we have zero loyalty to them outside of promos.
Old Feb 4, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
Given that the elite benefits are few and the good ones are rarely available, we see no worthwhile value to any sort of status with Wyndham. We just chase promos and redeem for GoFast on our two separate accounts. I think we got something like 38k in each of our accounts last year, with five nights/stays apiece. 76k points for less than $750, and the GoFast awards have yielded very good points values when we've used them. It's our most valuable hotel program, but we have zero loyalty to them outside of promos.
I'm only a member and use them to stay at lower tier places to earn points and use them at nicer places either via GoFast or free nights. The rest of the benefits simply don't exist. I have experienced the same thing as the OP. I am at check-in and know I could book an upgraded room right now and check-in and get it. Told 'there isn't any available'. It's 1230am... really think how many are showing up and looking for it?

Search this Thread