No Points For Spending On Award Stays

Old Dec 6, 16, 8:38 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 4,969
No Points For Spending On Award Stays

Hilton and Marriott both give points for spending at the hotel on award stays, I just found out Wyndham does not. Lesson learned, eat/drink someplace else
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 16, 1:15 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 23,991
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Hilton and Marriott both give points for spending at the hotel on award stays,
Wrong!

They only do so at certain higher brands. No points for incidental spending at Hampton, for example, as much discussed recently in the Hilton HHonors forum (where during a current promo any qualifying hotel charge with a Visa earns 5000 points per mobile-booked stay, and people are getting those 5000 points by splitting their room rate across two cards with only a few dollars going to the Visa, but no one is getting those 5000 points -- or any other points -- for incidentals charged at Hamptons on award stays).

And here's the Marriott page that talks about this:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

As you can see, room rate only (no incidentals) at Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, etc, etc.

And on award stays, obviously there's no room rate charges, so the only points possible would be for incidentals, and that's no possible at the brands that don't give points for incidentals.

Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
Hilton and Marriott both give points for spending at the hotel on award stays, I just found out Wyndham does not. Lesson learned, eat/drink someplace else
In light of the above:

Did you verify that no brands at Wyndham do that? Or was this just at some particular brand that you stayed at?
sdsearch is offline  
Old Dec 7, 16, 7:31 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 4,969
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Wrong!

They only do so at certain higher brands. No points for incidental spending at Hampton, for example, as much discussed recently in the Hilton HHonors forum (where during a current promo any qualifying hotel charge with a Visa earns 5000 points per mobile-booked stay, and people are getting those 5000 points by splitting their room rate across two cards with only a few dollars going to the Visa, but no one is getting those 5000 points -- or any other points -- for incidentals charged at Hamptons on award stays).

And here's the Marriott page that talks about this:

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi

As you can see, room rate only (no incidentals) at Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, etc, etc.

And on award stays, obviously there's no room rate charges, so the only points possible would be for incidentals, and that's no possible at the brands that don't give points for incidentals.
Actually it's CORRECT! AS I SAID , Hilton and Marriott give points for incidental spends. I never mentioned the lesser brand hotels as I was comparing a WYNDHAM hotel to a Hilton or Marriott.

If I was talking about every hotel in the chain I would have said Wyndham Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott rewards.


Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
In light of the above:

Did you verify that no brands at Wyndham do that? Or was this just at some particular brand that you stayed at?
It's every Wyndham property using a Go free rate.

"Thank you for contacting Wyndham Rewards®.

I received your information and after further research your stay cannot be credited to your account as it was booked at a non-qualifying rate plan as a Go Free. Stays that are booked with a non qualifying rate code would also carry over to any incidental charges incurred while at the property.

Hotel stays associated with non-qualifying rate plans are not eligible for credit to your Wyndham Rewards account."

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 7, 16 at 9:20 pm
flyer4512 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread