FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards-430/)
-   -   any way to beat the 4 year expiry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards/1806536-any-way-beat-4-year-expiry.html)

pbd456 Dec 2, 2016 9:15 pm

any way to beat the 4 year expiry

Does booking a hotel and then cancel reset the 4 year clock?

sdsearch Dec 4, 2016 9:37 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 27559030)

I think you're going to need to be our guinea pig (and report back).

People keep asking the question, but no one appears to have tried it and so no one (who knows) replies:

Emskevin Dec 4, 2016 7:43 pm

Can't you change them to AA points then change them back?

Kevin

TTT103 Dec 5, 2016 10:03 am

The points don't actually pull from your account until the stay, so even if you make an award reservation, and then cancel, the points will not have been effected.

sdsearch Dec 5, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Emskevin (Post 27566180)
Can't you change them to AA points then change them back?

Kevin

No, you can't change them back. Most hotels transfer to multiple airlines, but most airlines don't transfer out to any hotels, and those to do only transfer out to one or two hotel programs (in no cases that I'm aware of those including WyndhamRewards).

Travelomania Dec 8, 2016 5:50 pm

I just found out that the answer is YES ... or I guess so !

All points were acquired on 4/23/12 through Daily Getaways.
Used a bunch at various points in time.
On 2/5/16 I booked a X-mas stay in New Zealand to finally use my last 60k points before assumed expiration date.
After booking the balance went to zero.
Cancelled last week. After cancelling the balance went back to 60k with the following notice:

Points expire 4 years after they are earned. You have 60,000 points that will expire on July 31, 2017.
In addition, after 18 consecutive months without any account activity, all of your points will be forfeited. Be sure to stay or redeem with us by May 31, 2018.

I still don't know how to perceive this statement and how the calculation worked out :confused:
If anyone has a clue and can explain the logic, I would very much appreciate that !

sdsearch Dec 8, 2016 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 27584927)

On 2/5/16 I booked a X-mas stay in New Zealand to finally use my last 60k points before assumed expiration date.
Cancelled last week. After cancelling the balance went back to 60k with the following notice:

Points expire 4 years after they are earned. You have 60,000 points that will expire on July 31, 2017.
In addition, after 18 consecutive months without any account activity, all of your points will be forfeited. Be sure to stay or redeem with us by May 31, 2018.

I still don't know how to perceive this statement and how the calculation worked out :confused:
If anyone has a clue and can explain the logic, I would very much appreciate that !

Well, that's doesn't sound to me like it reset the 4 year clock. That sounds like they just extended the 4-year clock by roughly the difference between when you booked and when you cancelled. When you booked, you had a few months left, now you have a few months left (though it seems like it's a few more than before).

That's not at all what I would call resetting the 4-year clock. Resetting the 4-year clock would be if your 60000 points weren't going to expire until late 2020.

At best, I would call what seems to have happened to you is extending your 4-year clock, rather than resetting it.

Travelomania Dec 9, 2016 7:13 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27564200)
People keep asking the question, but no one appears to have tried it and so no one (who knows) replies:

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27585262)
Well, that's doesn't sound to me like it reset the 4 year clock.
At best, I would call what seems to have happened to you is extending your 4-year clock, rather than resetting it.

Well, wasn't the question asked by the OP if there were "any way to beat the 4 year expiry" ?

sdsearch Dec 9, 2016 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Travelomania (Post 27586848)
Well, wasn't the question asked by the OP if there were "any way to beat the 4 year expiry" ?

Only in the thread title. But in their actual first post in this thread, the OP wrote this:

And look at what you quoted when you replied to the OP above! You quoted exactly what I just quoted above, not the thread title!

So, because you quoted that, I presumed you meant that the "YES" applied to what you quoted, and I said it didn't, because what you quoted was a question about resetting, not just beating.

pbd456 Dec 10, 2016 6:32 pm

are the points still there?

thanks

Travelomania Dec 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 27593890)
are the points still there?

thanks

Yes, the balance went back from zero to 60k points immediately after I cancelled the reservation.
And the points are still in the account - I just checked.
I hope to use them soon tho, for the same property that I had to cancel a week ago.

I hope this info is helpful to you !