Wiki Posts
Search

Tell me about Wyndham Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tell me about Wyndham Rewards

Formerly a Hilton and Marriott guy - got some great awards, but currently starting a new gig. The Choice properties (I'm a member of that program) are available, but I tend to use them only during promos.

There are a couple of Wyndham properties (including a very cheap Super 8 that gets good reviews). However, I know very little to nothing about the program.

Do they have a co-branded credit card?
How can I check on award availability?
How easy is it to earn points?
Do they often have promos?
Do they have many properties in Europe?

Basically, is it worth my while to get into the program?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK - I did a little research. They do have a credit card (Barclay again).

Figured out how to look up hotels, rewards, etc.

15K points/night everywhere (apparently). 3000 points+various amount of cash (GoFast).

They do have a number of props in Europe, just not too many where I want to go. Oh well.

Just looking for general impressions, I guess.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, WyndhamRewards has a lot of brands, and little quality consistency among the lower-end brands. In a lot of places, all they have is lower end brand properties with not-so-great reviews, a super-minimal breakfast (that will make you long for the Comfort Inn breakfast!), etc. (Think of it as if Choice mostly had just EconoLodge, Rodeway, etc, and all the Sleep, Comfort, and Quality brands were usually missing .)

If you are either getting breakfast elsewhere, or using the fridge in the room to store your own breakfast (from a local grocery store), that may make up for the pathetic breakfasts.

Basically, many of them are just your generic low-rise roadside motel which happens to be branded. So you have to check reviews carefully.

I've basically used them paid near work places when they have promotions and their prices are so low that I don't mind adding the cost of breakfast elsewhere (though at least one Super 8 has improved their breakfast, adding yogurt dispensers and I bring my own granola, that's it's not a total loss breakfast any more for me).. Then in travels, i use them here and there where they're either the only points redemption possible (example: Golden, BC, just west of Jasper/Banff National Parks in Alberta) or one of the only non-expensive-resorts points redemptions available (example: a Days Inn on the south-west shore of Maui). Or if I'm staying multiple days and don't mind having my breakfast in my refrigerator (example: Super 8 in Jackson, WY outside of Grand Teton NP).

I've also, since the start of 15k points for any property, used 15k points once in a while near home (where I don't have air conditioning) during extreme heat waves, just to have air conditioning for much of the day (but be close enough to be able to go back and forth any time I want). Using only 15k points for the last hotels in the area still to have rooms available (and for sale at high prices by that point) is nice, even if the hotels are just "acceptable" quality.

But for every one WyndhamRewards redemption, I do a bunch of Choice, Best Western, Mariott, IHG, or Hilton redemptions. So it's a "backup" program for me, I wouldn't see it working as a "orimary" program for me.

As to promos, WynhdamRewards is somewhat feeble in that area, having only a few a year, and each one typically capped so that you max out after a few stays. (As opposed to Choice having a good promo about 90% of the year.) It's been a while since I've seen a points promo. The last general promo was this summer where you earned 4 x $25 gift cards after 2 stays, each of which had to be used for a separate stay, so unless you had exactly 6 stays timed right you couldn't max it out. However, there's an ongoing "promo" in that if you stay at cheap properties one night at a time, you earn a minimum of 1000 points on each stay, plus if you haven't stayed for a couple months, they're likely to target you with an additional 200 points for your next stay if you "come back to us".

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 10, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It depends on the hotels where you want to stay. I have a Ramada I stay at 2-3 days a month, and a Travelodge 2 days a month, plus some random other ones, both of which I know are good places and good value. At the prices paid, I don't really expect a real breakfast, so just go to local restaurants if I want something substantial.

Ramada in particular seems to be phasing out underperforming hotels and recruiting nicer ones, at least in California.

As far as redemptions, the single 15000 point price certainly makes you want to hold out for something special to spend them on. Basically, I use this chain because it's the best value for money in some places.

There's a standing 15-20% off corporate code that works nearly everywhere that can save you some money. Just book through this link:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/?corporate_id=8000000066

I'll email you a Denny's coupon if breakfast is a consideration.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It depends on the hotels where you want to stay. I have a Ramada I stay at 2-3 days a month, and a Travelodge 2 days a month, plus some random other ones, both of which I know are good places and good value. At the prices paid, I don't really expect a real breakfast, so just go to local restaurants if I want something substantial.

Ramada in particular seems to be phasing out underperforming hotels and recruiting nicer ones, at least in California.

As far as redemptions, the single 15000 point price certainly makes you want to hold out for something special to spend them on. Basically, I use this chain because it's the best value for money in some places.

There's a standing 15-20% off corporate code that works nearly everywhere that can save you some money. Just book through this link:

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/?corporate_id=8000000066

I'll email you a Denny's coupon if breakfast is a consideration.
Thanks, Doc!

Yeah, I've become a Choice guy over the last few years and have actually had some pretty good redemptions in Europe with them. Hilton and Marriott have drifted outside my price range (no expense account for BigLar, I'm afraid ). This gig is only for a few months, and I'm planning on two nights a week. I was going to use Choice, but the promo ends tomorrow and I won't be there until Sunday.

So, might as well save a few bucks while I can. They're all one-nighters and I have my brother living a couple miles away, and my daughter about a 30 minute drive (and lots of craft beer!) so I don't think I'll be suffering much.

Just need a place to sleep and shower.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Formerly a Hilton and Marriott guy - got some great awards, but currently starting a new gig. The Choice properties (I'm a member of that program) are available, but I tend to use them only during promos.

There are a couple of Wyndham properties (including a very cheap Super 8 that gets good reviews). However, I know very little to nothing about the program.

Do they have a co-branded credit card?
How can I check on award availability?
How easy is it to earn points?
Do they often have promos?
Do they have many properties in Europe?

Basically, is it worth my while to get into the program?
The website leaves a lot to be desired, besides having to reset my PW often you have to know your reservation number to look up reservations even when logged in.

If I was paying for room this Wyndham would not be high up on my list to say the least
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:04 pm
Suspended

WyndhamRewards has a lot of brands, and little quality consistency among the lower-end brands. In lot of places, they have lower end brand properties.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:53 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Good alternative program

If you can live with the inconsistent hotel quality, the rewards program is very good. If you travel to Europe or Asia, there are more "regular" hotels there, not the motels with ouside corridors.
I started using the program and it does offer great value. I found the GoFast awards to be especially good - you can often get more than 2cts/point with a small cash pay, especially at seasonal or weekend properties. You can purchase points to top of your account. The best promo I've seen was the VisaCheckout one, now expired: 5,000 points per stay - great deal for a one-night stay! There is a program review here
The website is awful, half the time I don't get a confirmation email, so take a screen shot. The app seems to work a little better. At least you get a list of current/past reservations.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:44 pm

To me, Wyndham breaks down like this: not a lot of service, but great value.

That's actually my preference, although I stay at many IHG and Starwood hotels as well.

I can never bring myself to redeem for a Go Free night( tough to get best cpm out of that ), but almost every stay is on a Go Fast award. Sometimes they make no sense at all ( $55/night, or $50/night + 3000 points ), but most of the time, i get at least 1 cpm out of my stays. Happy with that.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Wyndham is OK, but not great. I only stay at Wingate by Wyndham and the Ramada Plaza in West Hollywood (which is in dire need of a renovation).

Other than that, I still prefer IHG for pointbreaks. It's the best way, IMO, to travel off the beaten path when a unique property pops up each quarter.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:51 pm

Wyndham does not care about loyalty, be it from their guests or from their properties. There is a lot of fluctuation in their properties, and it does not pay to be a loyal Wyndham guest.

You may book through the Wyndham website and complete your stay, just to find out afterwards that at some point in time that franchisee decided to go solo. You end up with zero points and Wyndham rewards ignores you.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I originally got the credit card with 45,000 point bonus to specifically stay in Boston because hotels are so expensive. My plans changed to NYC but I got pretty good value in Midtown Manhattan for 3 nights. I still have 45,000 (my husband's CC bonus) but I can't find anywhere we would want to use them on the West Coast where we live. I'm cancelling the card because there's really nowhere I want to use the points. The only possibility is if I get the SWA companion pass and maybe we would use them at one of the all-inclusive in Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.