FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards-430/)
-   -   Wyndham rewards spoke very highly of in wsj (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndham-wyndham-rewards/1795301-wyndham-rewards-spoke-very-highly-wsj.html)

longleaf Oct 7, 2016 4:54 pm

Wyndham rewards spoke very highly of in wsj

The Best and Worst Hotel Rewards Programs - The Wall Street Journal
https://apple.news/ANtGbe6ZJRFq-HLoqQPysfQ

Now, if only they can offer Diamonds complimentary breakfast in their nicer properties like most all the other hotel chains' top tier status do.

storewanderer Oct 9, 2016 9:52 pm

Maybe the program is generous but man, I cannot imagine spending vacation in some of these garbage properties like Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, or Knights Inn. I had a previous employer that loved to stick us in these properties in rural towns (would beg for a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or even Best Western but often the over $120 a night rates were too much or they were sold out already) and between the filthy dirty Days Inn in Winnemucca, NV, the marginal really Ramada "Limited" in Bishop, CA who once charged us for suites then since there was only one of us in the room said they would not unlock the second bedroom but gladly did charge us the suite rate (believe this was since downgraded to a Travelodge), and a couple others I won't even detail I realized there is no way I would use these low end Wyndham brands on my own accord short of some kind of dire situation or lack of other options. I won't even get started on the Knights Inn in Ponca City, OK. Wow.

Again, I think Wingate, Hawthorn, are just fine and okay. It is these low end brands that are the problem. Clearly a scam to collect royalty fees and not offer anything in terms of standards or consistency to the customer.

The part I love the most is Wyndham places the property's Trip Advisor score right on the website. Any reputable chain would be deflagging properties with 2.5/5 and 3/5 ratings on Tripadvisor.com. This company just plays musical brands. Maybe drop them from a Ramada to a Travelodge or drop them from a Super 8 to a Knights Inn but what is the difference really? Royalties first, customer and consistency LAST.

anime333 Oct 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 27325949)
Maybe the program is generous but man, I cannot imagine spending vacation in some of these garbage properties like Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, or Knights Inn. I had a previous employer that loved to stick us in these properties in rural towns (would beg for a Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or even Best Western but often the over $120 a night rates were too much or they were sold out already) and between the filthy dirty Days Inn in Winnemucca, NV, the marginal really Ramada "Limited" in Bishop, CA who once charged us for suites then since there was only one of us in the room said they would not unlock the second bedroom but gladly did charge us the suite rate (believe this was since downgraded to a Travelodge), and a couple others I won't even detail I realized there is no way I would use these low end Wyndham brands on my own accord short of some kind of dire situation or lack of other options. I won't even get started on the Knights Inn in Ponca City, OK. Wow.

Again, I think Wingate, Hawthorn, are just fine and okay. It is these low end brands that are the problem. Clearly a scam to collect royalty fees and not offer anything in terms of standards or consistency to the customer.

The part I love the most is Wyndham places the property's Trip Advisor score right on the website. Any reputable chain would be deflagging properties with 2.5/5 and 3/5 ratings on Tripadvisor.com. This company just plays musical brands. Maybe drop them from a Ramada to a Travelodge or drop them from a Super 8 to a Knights Inn but what is the difference really? Royalties first, customer and consistency LAST.

I think the quality tends to drop in some of the more out-of-way places, as well as places when they are incredibly price competitive. So yes, it is very hit-or-miss. But when you get a hit, it can be excellent value. Tripadvisor does a good job filtering it out; on vacation, you will be able make your choice.