Wyndham to "elevate" its economy brands

Old Jun 10, 16, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wyndham to "elevate" its economy brands

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...rand/85590450/

"The company is planning to improve the guest experience with better bedding, technology, and design."

Yeah, but what about the lousy breakfasts?

"The company has also gotten rid of more hotels that do not meet their standards than ever in the last two years. At the same time, it has added more than 650 new hotels, built from the ground up, to its pipeline."

Ouch, will all my cheap suburban Days Inns and Super 8s disappear? That's all I use at WyndhamRewards on a normal basis (in situations where I can get breakfast elsewhere easily, especially with these brands often being cheaper by so much, compared to brands with a bit better complimentary breakfast, that the difference more than pays for going to a restaurant for breakfast). In the areas I stay with WyndhamRewards most often, nobody is building new hotels, just rebranding old ones.
Old Jun 10, 16, 12:42 pm

When I hear Wyndham say "elevate its economy brands", I just take it to mean that the company will improve its economy motels enough to be able to charge near or as much as its mid-tier brands.

I am probably in the minority, but why can't some lower end motels --I'm looking at you Super 8, Knights Inn, Days Inn, etc.-- just improve their basic cleaning etiquette instead of having a complete or near-complete overhaul? I just want to pay the least amount of money I can for a clean and functional room. I don't need properties at this price point to undergo a complete makeover or to be completely "modern" and "updated".

Years ago, I would always consider Red Roof Inns --with their "Red Hot Deals"-- as a budget lodging choice. Now, after the chain underwent a complete makeover in the name of "improvement", Red Roof Inn is a complete afterthought to me, as the whole chain's prices went up. And I don't mean by $10 or $20, either.

For the record, I am not saying that chains/individual properties should never improve. I am just saying that not every hotel guest --especially the BUDGET hotel guest-- wants to pay more just for IKEA-inspired rooms, when lived-in but clean rooms will suffice.
Old Jun 12, 16, 5:58 pm

Henry Silverman has single handedly run Wyndhams economy brands into the ground by writing franchise agreements on just about anything. Ramada used to be a notch above Holiday Inn, and HoJo was a growing mid-market brand. Now look how they're positioned.

It's an absolute shame what happened to these brands under HFS, Cendant, Wyndham (whatever you want to call them.)
Old Jun 12, 16, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Yeah, definitely sounds like an excuse to jack up prices.
Old Jun 13, 16, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Yeah, definitely sounds like an excuse to jack up prices.
Yes, but worth the extra $$ to be able to enjoy location-appropriate in-room artwork.
Old Jun 13, 16, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by fairviewroad View Post
Yes, but worth the extra $$ to be able to enjoy location-appropriate in-room artwork.
Oh, absolutely.
Old Jun 19, 16, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yah. Definitely agree. Refresh and up the rates. Because the idea is going to be, upgrade or change brand name. So the owner is going to have to re-coup the cost.

I need hotel rooms but JUST to sleep in. I don't care about breakfast and 'luxury' items. So them going up a bunch won't be very exciting.

Search this Thread