Wiki Posts
Search

New Wyndham elite status

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
New Wyndham elite status

Wyndham announced new elite status levels to go live May 18.
See new levels here.

I logged into my account and it shows Gold based on my existing stays.

Gold (5 nights)
That gets me dedicated member services, preferred room, late check-out. There's also go plus awards which seems to be discounts on event tickets in some cities when you redeem points for a stay.

Platinum (15 nights)
Early check-in, annual 3,000 points bonus, Avis & Budget car rental upgrade

Diamond (40 nights)
Annual 6,000 points bonus, suite upgrade including award nights, welcome amenity, give gold (to a friend)

Last edited by oopl; May 12, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old May 12, 2016, 8:14 am

Time to ask for a status match :-)
Old May 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by gsch
Time to ask for a status match :-)
Exactly what I was hoping to do. I'd like diamond please.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

They should offer a status match but I'm hoping they'll offer Platinum/Diamond for their card holders.
Old May 13, 2016, 7:42 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I discovered this yesterday, when checking my activity for the last week. I'm already Platinum! Yay! I wonder how or when the 3,000 bonus points kicks in? Also, it jumps from 5 nites to 10, then 15 - THEN 40!!! Wow! That's quite a leap!
Old May 13, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Angry

Talked to corporate: No plans for status match. Bummer!
Old May 13, 2016, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by drjazz
Talked to corporate: No plans for status match. Bummer!
Then, no incentive for me to try their product.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure how they determined the initial status.

I'm showing as Platinum through Dec 2017 ^, but just 3 nights this year.

I looked at my account activity, and though I had 17 nights last year, 3 didn't earn anything (one was a GoFree award, and 2 were a third-party booking using up my FlexPerks points).

So did they count either the third-party stay or the GoFree stay, or did they combine my 2015 nights with my 2016 nights so far? The elite status page doesn't explain clearly whether what "qualified" for elite status is same or different as what "qualifies" for earning points/miles. (At some other hotel programs, rewards nights are "qualifying" for elite status but not "qualifying" for most other purposes.)

Last edited by sdsearch; May 13, 2016 at 11:10 am
Old May 13, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
I don't really like wyndham but bought points during the daily getaways but no status match means i wont even try to try them out again. I will just use my 2 nights and call it a day.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch

I looked at my account activity, and though I had 17 nights last year...
For the initial status they looked at your stays this year and last year and took the higher number hence you starting out as platinum.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopl
For the initial status they looked at your stays this year and last year and took the higher number hence you starting out as platinum.
But if they only used one or the other, may higher number was 14 if they didn't count the award night or the third-party-booked stay. So does that mean that award nights count toward elite status? (So far from all that WyndhamRewards has published on it's not clear whether they do or don't. It's only my count of 14 vs 15 that's providing a possible clue, but the other possibility being a third-party-booked stay is a wrinkle with coming to a conclusion of how they got to 15 on my account unclear.)
Old May 14, 2016, 8:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I looked at my account activity, and though I had 17 nights last year, 3 didn't earn anything (one was a GoFree award, and 2 were a third-party booking using up my FlexPerks points).

So did they count either the third-party stay or the GoFree stay, or did they combine my 2015 nights with my 2016 nights so far? The elite status page doesn't explain clearly whether what "qualified" for elite status is same or different as what "qualifies" for earning points/miles. (At some other hotel programs, rewards nights are "qualifying" for elite status but not "qualifying" for most other purposes.)
I looked at one account that has had zero nights this year but four last year. It shows as Blue. A different account that had 5 nights last year and 4 this year is showing as Gold. Seems like a combined count or rolling calendar perhaps or the higher of either year.

Award nights seem to have at least sometimes been counted?
Old May 14, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Diamond through Dec 2017 starting. Should easily maintain that no problem. I travel for work and as an independent contractor many are setup on a flat rate and I basically sleep in the room so love many of the Wyndham properties. However...

Guess I need to contact them as have some questions. Most Wyndham properties there is no 'preferred room'. There is no 'suite upgrade' at many properties. WiFi has been free at every single wyndham property I have ever been to.

The benefit here is if you get 40 nights but travel and use their nicer properties, say on trips with family/wife, this might be of good benefit.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Wow - the discounts on attractions they are offering via Go Free/Fast Plus are all for things the average traveler would never even consider, could probably get from coupons in the tourist brochure racks you find in most Wyndham-type motel lobbies, or are based on such laughably high base prices that you'd be silly to book through them even with a $5 coupon. For an upcoming stay in Anaheim I see that I would have the option of a single $5 discount on a $50 per person "Cupcake Tour of Beverly Hills". The WR wizard must have really worked his magic to take off a whole five dollars for that one! Ditto their Istanbul offers. They're offering $5 off a $40/person Turkish Coffee Reading. My wife tells me that she paid 20 liras for essentially the same package (where she was told that I must be cheating on her and that we will have three children!). Just as amazing that they're quoting a $28.78 base price for a Bosporus cruise - doesn't the municipality offer those cruises for 15 liras and isn't entrance to Rumeli completely free?

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate some of the benefits that Wyndham is introducing. I knew they were unlikely to introduce executive lounges at the Wyndham Grands or free breakfasts at the Ramadas, but somehow I expected them not to make such a big deal out of what is essentially an attempt to push marketing for overpriced tourist traps onto their most loyal customers.
Old May 16, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Wow - the discounts on attractions they are offering via Go Free/Fast Plus are all for things the average traveler would never even consider, could probably get from coupons in the tourist brochure racks you find in most Wyndham-type motel lobbies, or are based on such laughably high base prices that you'd be silly to book through them even with a $5 coupon. For an upcoming stay in Anaheim I see that I would have the option of a single $5 discount on a $50 per person "Cupcake Tour of Beverly Hills". The WR wizard must have really worked his magic to take off a whole five dollars for that one! Ditto their Istanbul offers. They're offering $5 off a $40/person Turkish Coffee Reading. My wife tells me that she paid 20 liras for essentially the same package (where she was told that I must be cheating on her and that we will have three children!). Just as amazing that they're quoting a $28.78 base price for a Bosporus cruise - doesn't the municipality offer those cruises for 15 liras and isn't entrance to Rumeli completely free?

I'm not saying that I don't appreciate some of the benefits that Wyndham is introducing. I knew they were unlikely to introduce executive lounges at the Wyndham Grands or free breakfasts at the Ramadas, but somehow I expected them not to make such a big deal out of what is essentially an attempt to push marketing for overpriced tourist traps onto their most loyal customers.
Actually, the benefits for their most loyal customers (the highest tier, ie Diamond) is different; while they can still use the $5 discounts if they really want, they get a free ticket to some local thing. Of course, I looked over the list, and in most cities it was something I had relatively little interest in (a theme park 70 miles away, or a swamp tour, or whatever). But still, it appear to be an outright ticket, so a bit less of a scam (though claiming it's worth up to $150 is a bit of overkill).

You don't have to be Diamond to see what the tickets in various cities are. Just go to the site where you browsed all the $5 discount scams, and there's a link there to see what a Diamond gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.