Search

NYC Wyndham thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
NYC Wyndham thoughts?

Did a search for "New York" in this forum and found very little recently.

Opinions on NYC Wyndhams these days?

TRYP is not available for my dates, but please mention it if it's nice, as I will return. Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Since the Dream properties left the Wyndham rewards program, nothing IMO
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
My wife and I stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown last year. Don't even remember the room. The breakfast was crowded and in a depressing room that felt like a dungeon. Maybe I exaggerate! Either way, we do not plan to return to that hotel. We will try the Wyndham New Yorker next time.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I am currently at the Wyndham New Yorker right by Penn Station. It's pretty much a dump and is very run down. Unfortunately I will be staying here every week for the next 5-6 months.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:12 pm

This property has quite a bit of history to it. Unfortunately, Neither Wyndham nor the owners know what to do with it, or how to market it. If you recall, it was mothballed for years. It then reopened and eventually became a Ramada. Several of the floors have yet to be renovated, and there is also student housing in the building. Such a shame.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jrjcopp
My wife and I stayed at the Wingate by Wyndham Manhattan Midtown last year. Don't even remember the room. The breakfast was crowded and in a depressing room that felt like a dungeon. Maybe I exaggerate! Either way, we do not plan to return to that hotel. We will try the Wyndham New Yorker next time.
I won't disagree that the breakfast room can be dark and crowded. On the other hand, the breakfast choices are plentiful, and in good weather, the patio off the back can be a pleasant place to eat--although in the canyons of Manhattan, you're not likely to see a lot of sunshine at the back of the ground floor of a building.

The rooms are pleasant, fairly standard mid-priced hotel rooms. At a decent cash rate or for a 15K redemption, I think this is a far superior choice to the Wyndham New Yorker, especially given the New Yorker's location right on 8th Avenue which is likely to be much louder at all hours than the Wingate's location on 35th.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: Wyndham
I just returned from NYC and stayed at the Tryp Times Square South property on 35th - in the showdow of the New Yorker... What a great property! Can't say enough about this place. I upgraded to the family room for 100 a night extra and found myself in a huge room with 2 queens - a set of bunk beds - pull out couch - monster bathroom with walking shower - place is tastefully decorated with an excellent bar and restaurant- it's next door to the midtown NYPD precinct. It has a small balcony with limited use but you can grab a drink and sit up there and take selfies with the New Yorker sign backdrop along with the Empire State Building - service at the facility was top notch - I spent 45,000 points on my 3 night stay here - def worth every point - my last stay in Manhattan was at a doubletree facility in the financial district - tryp blows it away in every category- I will give it 5 out 5 stars. Far as I'm concerned this will be my goto point redemption property in NYC - as far as paid rooms I may have to opt for the New Yorker as it usually is somewhat affordable and again very well located.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:45 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Looking at the TRYP or other NY properties for a stay in July long weekend, is the daily getaway of $150 for 15k a good value? I'm seeing cash rate near $300 per night at the TRYP.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jix
Looking at the TRYP or other NY properties for a stay in July long weekend, is the daily getaway of $150 for 15k a good value? I'm seeing cash rate near $300 per night at the TRYP.
I think it's a descent, albeit not spectacular value. Not too many places in NYC can be had for $150. Plus, when you add taxes to the rates, the $150 becomes attractive.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:17 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by TTT103
I think it's a descent, albeit not spectacular value. Not too many places in NYC can be had for $150. Plus, when you add taxes to the rates, the $150 becomes attractive.
Thanks. I pulled 30k points for 2 nights and will be booking soon, just want to check that are the points stay flexible cancellation with Wyndham like other chains, whereby I can cancel the stay a day before and get my points refunded immediately if needed?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: Wyndham
I was told I could cancel at anytime and my points would be remitted almost instantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.