TRYP - Times Square South

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham
TRYP - Times Square South

Just booked 3 nights at this property for 45,000 points. After booking I was able to UPGRADE the room for $100 per night through the properties in-house reservations to a "Family Room" which is 2 QUEENS, SLEEPER SOFA, 2 BUNK BEDS. Very excited about this spring break stay in the big apple.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Did you have to phone to book the property? I have never seen availability.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes in the rewards fine print section of the Wyndham site it states for the tryp properties you must call for booking. Seemed pretty uneventful after that call - I believe the best room available for the free rate was a two queen bed option. The tryp website itself offered booking options in the high 200's and low 300's for rooms. Seems a bit high when compared to third party sites but looks like a nice property.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Never stayed at this property before but thinking about staying here on Wyndham Rewards points in the near future and I came across this promotion on the hotel page that appears to be their own version of a loyalty program that's free to join:

"Join our Free TRYPSTER ONLY PROGRAM..."
http://www.tryptimessquaresouth.com/trypster.aspx

Assuming most of the benefits (1000 additional Wyndham Rewards points per stay, free night after 5 stays) would require paid rates. However, two of the benefits intrigued me:

-Complimentary One Class Upgrade, Based On Availability at Check In
-Late Check-out of 4:00 p.m.

Wondering if these benefits would be honored on an award stay? Anyone have any experience with this program?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinInRI
Never stayed at this property before but thinking about staying here on Wyndham Rewards points in the near future and I came across this promotion on the hotel page that appears to be their own version of a loyalty program that's free to join:

Would be nice if you could do the upgrade to family room - I mean you can easily sleep 7 adults in that room - def bring cost down a bit - when I used points for my stay the upgrade cost 100 per night - still inmo well worth it

"Join our Free TRYPSTER ONLY PROGRAM..."
http://www.tryptimessquaresouth.com/trypster.aspx

Assuming most of the benefits (1000 additional Wyndham Rewards points per stay, free night after 5 stays) would require paid rates. However, two of the benefits intrigued me:

-Complimentary One Class Upgrade, Based On Availability at Check In
-Late Check-out of 4:00 p.m.

Wondering if these benefits would be honored on an award stay? Anyone have any experience with this program?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Emskevin
I believe the best room available for the free rate was a two queen bed option.
Just booked two award nights at this property today.

Only to award option with two beds was two singles--but that may have been an availability issue. However, I do not recall seeing a two queen option when booking with revenue...

One other challenge: when searching New York properties at Wyndham.com, Tryp properties do show award availability--but when you click through, you get to a specific Tryp site that does not demonstrate a reward option.

So you have to call. It took at least 40 minutes to get the two nights done.

Awful program to deal with--with very few desirable properties. Which I guess is why FT has very little activity in the Wyndham forum. Using NYC as an example, Tryp Times Square is the only Wyndham property getting 4.5 rating at Tripadvisor.com....

Finally, would appreciate hearing from those who have stayed here about their experiences.

UPDATE:

Turns out that my PROLONGED reservation time was into the Tryp Time Square---NOT the Tryp Time Square South...

My Bad not noticing it--these awful reservations agents need to be very carefully monitored.

I then get an email last week stating my reservation has been cancelled.

Call again--another 45 minutes later turns out the Tryp Time Square I was booked into is no longer a Wyndham property.

Agent states he will reinstate my reservation.

Today get a message from "customer service" that I must call Brian to rearrange my reservation.

YOU try calling Brian--after being forced to listen to free Florida/cruise/insurance offers--phone line disconnected.

Finally get an agent--new reservation is at the Tryp Time Square South.

Yes--these nights may be free--but you'll pay for these nights with UNBELIEVABLE waste of time. Terrible agents. Micky Mouse (NOT Disney-esque) service.

UPDATE 2: We were assigned a premium room--maybe because it is the only room type with two queen beds. It's one of the nicest single rooms I have ever stayed in, ever. HUGE. Wooden floor, modern look.

When I came to the desk at about midday after the first night to check in for the second night (had two separate awards)--the front desk agent asked if I had my bags with me. He was planning to put us in a lesser room, I assume. When I asked to talk to a manager--he magically seemed to find a way to enable us to stay put.

Great hard product in this instance. Awful booking and service process that wasted way too much of my precious time.

Last edited by travelexpert; Jun 6, 2016 at 2:26 am
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
What is it about TRYP TSq South that makes it
higher ranked tripadv than TRYP TSq? Is it significantly
better, or is latter significantly worse?
Old May 4, 2016, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelPhotographer
What is it about TRYP TSq South that makes it
higher ranked tripadv than TRYP TSq? Is it significantly
better, or is latter significantly worse?
Didn't go into the Times Square property - very happy with the Times Square south property - probably location was a factor- time square a zoo at best of times..
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:09 pm

Did you have to pay taxes on the award nights?

Just booked 4 nights for 60,000 points for Labor Day weekend and was surprised to see Sales Tax of $117.40 and Service Charge of $14 on the email confirmation.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:17 am
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by jennifer510
Did you have to pay taxes on the award nights?

Just booked 4 nights for 60,000 points for Labor Day weekend and was surprised to see Sales Tax of $117.40 and Service Charge of $14 on the email confirmation.
Hi jennifer510,

Yes, taxes are required on award nights. Please visit our Terms & Conditions, Section 3, Line B, for details.

Thanks,
Wyndham Alison
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wyndham Alison
Hi jennifer510,

Yes, taxes are required on award nights. Please visit our Terms & Conditions, Section 3, Line B, for details.

Thanks,
Wyndham Alison
I'm not sure that's right. From where you linked, see
"The Go Free Award is valid for the room rate and tax for one single or double standard hotel room up to the maximum occupancy of the room"
and
"Members can redeem 15,000 points for one (1) free night at any Participating Hotel worldwide (a "Go Free Award"), subject to availability with no blackout dates. A Go Free Award is valid only for the room rate for one (1) single or double standard hotel room for up to the maximum occupancy of the room, including local taxes and resort/facility fees (i.e., fees charged by certain properties in connection with every guest's stay that are associated with the use of such property's equipment, amenities and/or facilities) but not including incidental charges (i.e., charges that may or may not be incurred by a guest depending on his or her activities at the property, such as, but not limited to, long distance telephone calls, movie rentals and room service)"
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by mabramovich
I'm not sure that's right. From where you linked, see and
I agree - but what have you and others experienced ?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:56 am

I've had a stay at the Wyndham Santa Monica recently & the Wyndham New Orleans last week & was charged no taxes. Go Free awards should have no taxes.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:23 am

I think the taxes must be specific to certain properties, particularly the TRYP South

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.