Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15000 Flat-Rate Redemptions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Hey Dave (and others) just wanted to let you know that I received your comment on my blog as well about this issue. I have a contact at Wyndham that I've reached out to and we plan to run a story on this on June 4th, hopefully Wyndham Rewards 2 can update us before that (and we will run the story earlier than that if we receive a response before then as well).

Doesn't look good at all for the new program at this stage, but let's hope it's just teething issues.
I haven't seen the article yet. Can you link it when it is posted?

Thanks
eltex
Old Jun 6, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Wyndham Credit Card Annual Point Bonus Update

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with barclaycard getting the runaround before I was finally handed off to a US based supervisor. I explained in depth about the new redemption levels at Wyndham, and how the 5500 point annual bonus is not enough for a free room. When I signed up, it stated that I would get an annual 5500 point bonus, enough for a free room at a tier one hotel, which is no longer the case.

To make a long story short, Barclay was not willing to do anything to make up this difference. An increase in the point bonus or a corresponding decrease in the annual fee was not offered. I cancelled my card.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with barclaycard getting the runaround before I was finally handed off to a US based supervisor. I explained in depth about the new redemption levels at Wyndham, and how the 5500 point annual bonus is not enough for a free room. When I signed up, it stated that I would get an annual 5500 point bonus, enough for a free room at a tier one hotel, which is no longer the case.

To make a long story short, Barclay was not willing to do anything to make up this difference. An increase in the point bonus or a corresponding decrease in the annual fee was not offered. I cancelled my card.
So did you recently get the 5,500 points on your anniversary date? Or were you assuming that you'd only get that amount when your anniversary comes up? Personally, I'm not sure that I'd trust the Barclaycard CSR's (or even supervisors) to provide the correct information. I think we've even seen conflicting information on this topic (among others) from the Wyndham representative on this site. I don't think the right hand (Barclaycard) knows what the left hand (Wyndham) is doing - or vice versa. I think I'm just gonna wait for my anniversary later this year and see how many points I receive; and then if I receive only 5,500, I will call to complain (or cancel).
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
So did you recently get the 5,500 points on your anniversary date? Or were you assuming that you'd only get that amount when your anniversary comes up? Personally, I'm not sure that I'd trust the Barclaycard CSR's (or even supervisors) to provide the correct information. I think we've even seen conflicting information on this topic (among others) from the Wyndham representative on this site. I don't think the right hand (Barclaycard) knows what the left hand (Wyndham) is doing - or vice versa. I think I'm just gonna wait for my anniversary later this year and see how many points I receive; and then if I receive only 5,500, I will call to complain (or cancel).

My anniversary comes up on July 1st and I did not want to be saddled with the annual fee if I was only getting 5500. I spoke to a US based supervisor who was no help at all, saying that I would only get 5500 points and there was nothing she could do to change that. If it happens that it eventually changes to 15k points upon anniversary, then I screwed up. But, I would rather be safe than sorry. A $69 annual fee without a free hotel night to go with it is simply not worth it to me. Also, the runaround really gave me a sour taste. Every agent I talked to at Wyndhamrewards said it was an issue with BarclayCard. Every agent I spoke to at BarclayCard said it was an issue with Wyndhamrewards. I got transferred twice and hung up on once. After wasting all that time and finally getting an agent, she didn't offer any reasonable resolution. No need to stick with a company that does business like this. I'll go back to Choice Hotels for the forseeable future.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:31 pm

A $69 annual fee without a free hotel night to go with it is simply not worth it to me.
You would have a free hotel night. Until Nov. 3rd you can redeem at the prior tiers simply by calling so I am not sure why you are worrying about this now unless you can not make any travel plans between then and now to happen between now and sometime in the future (as far into the future as wyndham allows bookings).

Altough why you are content paying $69 for one night at a tier 1 property like super 8 or some run down travel lodge is beyond me.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to stick with a company that does business like this. I'll go back to Choice Hotels for the forseeable future.
In that case, there is a need to stick with one of those companies. The same bank that issues the WyndhamRewards Visa (Barclay) is the bank that issues the Choice Visa.

But you didn't need to waste 45 minutes on this. It's a consumer card, so you have up to 60 days after the annual fee is billed to cancel and not owe the annual fee. So you could have simply waited to see how many points would post before cancelling.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In that case, there is a need to stick with one of those companies. The same bank that issues the WyndhamRewards Visa (Barclay) is the bank that issues the Choice Visa.

But you didn't need to waste 45 minutes on this. It's a consumer card, so you have up to 60 days after the annual fee is billed to cancel and not owe the annual fee. So you could have simply waited to see how many points would post before cancelling.
My mistake then. Im not sweating it in the long run, since most of my award bookings have been at the 5.5k and 8k level. The new 15k award level is not good for me moving forward.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by eltex
I haven't seen the article yet. Can you link it when it is posted?

Thanks
eltex
Sorry, I'm in Indonesia for work at the moment so I didn't get time to publish the article. It seems the issues are now resolved as I see nights at 15k for Wyndham Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort.

If anybody sees a paid rate on a standard room and not the 15k award rate, can you please post here (or send me a message here or on my site)? And I'll investigate further.

Also if anybody sees any other issues, please contact me. For those asking about the 15,000 Anniversary bonus, I was told by their media team that all existing cardholders will receive the 15,000 anniversary bonus, so that is a case of the front line Barclaycard reps being misinformed, I think.

Again, if you only receive a 5,500 point anniversary bonus please contact me and I'll investigate for you, because I was specifically told that this wasn't the case and I confirmed it again to ensure I had the right information.

Sorry for the delay in replying here!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:18 am

Thumbs down

Since the number of properties Wyndham has is skewed with properties which were previously below the 15,000 point level, this is very clearly a devaluation of the program. The marketing people are probably figuring people will see the top properties and perceive the program with rose colored glasses and miss the devaluation.

I just booked my next hotel stay with a competitor.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Sorry, I'm in Indonesia for work at the moment so I didn't get time to publish the article. It seems the issues are now resolved as I see nights at 15k for Wyndham Koloa Landing at Poipu Beach Wyndham Grand Resort.

If anybody sees a paid rate on a standard room and not the 15k award rate, can you please post here (or send me a message here or on my site)? And I'll investigate further.

Also if anybody sees any other issues, please contact me. For those asking about the 15,000 Anniversary bonus, I was told by their media team that all existing cardholders will receive the 15,000 anniversary bonus, so that is a case of the front line Barclaycard reps being misinformed, I think.

Again, if you only receive a 5,500 point anniversary bonus please contact me and I'll investigate for you, because I was specifically told that this wasn't the case and I confirmed it again to ensure I had the right information.

Sorry for the delay in replying here!
I just returned from Kauai. I was already booked at the Westin on the north shore and was going to use my Wyndham points next year when we returned to Kauai. Since I spoke to the resort and knew they were leaving the program in December I checked online and once again saw rooms available for 15K.

We decided to pop down to the resort for just one night and I used 15K for a two bedroom resort view room. I was surprised when the rooms started to show up again because no one from Wyndham ever got back to us. I just happened to check when I was on Oahu and saw the rooms again for 15K.

It is a shame they are leaving the program! Guess I will use my points elsewhere.

That being said, this is still my favorite hotel on Kauai! We usually spend a few days on the south shore and a few days on the north shore. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here and pay.

Glad we could use the 15K for at least one night. I wish we could have stayed longer but couldn't get out of my Westin package...

If anyone can get there before they leave the program I highly recommend it.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:33 pm

For those asking about the 15,000 Anniversary bonus, I was told by their media team that all existing cardholders will receive the 15,000 anniversary bonus, so that is a case of the front line Barclaycard reps being misinformed, I think.

DoC- Have there been any new developments on this since June? I just had my Barclaycard Wyndham Rewards Visa renew with the $69 annual fee, and received only 5,500 points on my statement. I will also PM you my details. Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Quick question and total newbie to Wyndham rewards. I have found a night at a hotel for 15,000 points but cannot see it available as 3000 points + cash. Is this possible? Is it meant to be available for 3000 plus cash because it's available for 15k points?

I ask because I am new and can only 5000 points and have no idea where I can get 15,000 points from. Unsure if there are any transfer partners out there... Please help!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Originally Posted by zainman
Quick question and total newbie to Wyndham rewards. I have found a night at a hotel for 15,000 points but cannot see it available as 3000 points + cash. Is this possible? Is it meant to be available for 3000 plus cash because it's available for 15k points?

I ask because I am new and can only 5000 points and have no idea where I can get 15,000 points from. Unsure if there are any transfer partners out there... Please help!
Bump.... anyone?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:23 am

Yes, this is possible. Not all properties participate in the "GoFast" (3k points + cash) program. Several have opted out.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:30 am

To answer your 2nd part, search this thread for more info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wyndh...r-wyndham.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.