Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards
Reload this Page >

Budget Car Rental to Wyndham Rewards to United Airlines Miles?

Old Aug 8, 13, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Hi There,

So I am new here. I am hoping someone can provide me some input. So I have 2 budget car rentals booked for 2 weeks from now. When I tried entering my United MileagePlus number as my Frequent Traveler program, I get the following message:

This rental does not qualify for United Airlines points. Please provide alternate program information or simply leave this information blank to continue.
So I am assuming this is due to the fact I am using a corporate code and the agreement does not allow United Mileage. I was able to add in southwest or Wyndham rewards.

So my question is, I have my Wyndham rewards set where when I earn Wyndham points, it is converted to my United Mileage Plus. So in this case, if I have Budget Car Rental convert my points to Wyndham, would Wyndham automatically convert it to United Mileage Plus Miles?

also another option is HHonors, also set to convert to United Miles

Thanks
Tan

Last edited by mia; Aug 8, 13 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 8, 13, 9:01 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to Wyndham Rewards forum because the key question is whether Wyndham will convert points earned though a partner activity, such as car rental, and at what rate.
Old Aug 8, 13, 12:22 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
You can earn Wyndham Rewards points for participating car rentals, however they are not eligible to earn miles. You can set your earning preference to earn miles when you stay with our hotels however when you have a car rental it will post as points on your account. Once you have 8000 points there is an option to redeem the points for Airline miles though. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Originally Posted by pennywaltz View Post
Hi There,

So I am new here. I am hoping someone can provide me some input. So I have 2 budget car rentals booked for 2 weeks from now. When I tried entering my United MileagePlus number as my Frequent Traveler program, I get the following message:

So I am assuming this is due to the fact I am using a corporate code and the agreement does not allow United Mileage. I was able to add in southwest or Wyndham rewards.

So my question is, I have my Wyndham rewards set where when I earn Wyndham points, it is converted to my United Mileage Plus. So in this case, if I have Budget Car Rental convert my points to Wyndham, would Wyndham automatically convert it to United Mileage Plus Miles?

also another option is HHonors, also set to convert to United Miles

Thanks
Tan
Old Aug 9, 13, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
FWIW, for most programs, the exchange rates on doing double conversions (like car rental->hotel program->airline mileage) are very bad (you lose much of the rebate value).

For instance, let's say you get 100 Wyndham Reward points per day per Budget rental. That means after 80 rental days (100 points per day so 80 days), you can convert this into 2400 Southwest Rapid Reward points.

However, if you were just outright crediting Budget to Southwest (skipping the intermediate step of going through Wyndham), you could get 2400 points in one 8 day rental, or 4 one day rentals, or two 3 day rentals.

Southwest points are a really good way to get an idea of the rebate on car rentals because they have a fixed value in Wanna Get Away fares (60 points is a dollar). So 600 points = $10 towards a WGA ticket on Southwest. So which do you think is better, renting 4 times for 4 days to get $40 back, or renting 80 times for 80 days?

The math on HHonors to United Airlines conversions is similar- it takes 10,000 HHonors points to get 1,000 UA miles, so it's going to take you a very long time to get miles for a ticket on United that way. You are better off doing something else (incidentally, Hilton's point value for redeeming hotel rooms make it such that accumulating points on Hilton through car rentals is much less advantageous than doing airline miles or other programs- it will probably cost 20,000 points just to get one night at some $100 airport hotel somewhere).

Rule of thumb, unless there is favorable arbitrage (which does happen sometimes, but the exceptions are rare, and this isn't one of them ), your points for things like car rentals, hotel rooms and so on should be going directly into the program that you intend to use. So if you want Wyndham Rewards, you should spend those points on Wyndham hotel rooms, not convert them into miles (and lose a lot of value).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 9, 13 at 8:21 am