Switching to Wyndham??

Old Apr 27, 13, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels, Aeroplan, Enterprise
Cool Switching to Wyndham??

I am an Elite Platinum Choice Privilege member (20 nights/year). Currently, any stay gives me 25% bonus points, when there is no promotion. We have the 2-stays and get 8000 points total currently. After 10 nights in the year, you get Elite Gold Status and it gives 10% bonus points.

Last year, I earned a little over 75,000 points for about 25 stays, that gave me 3 nights at an hotel that cost 25,000/night.

If I switch to Wyndham this year, is there any way I will cumulate something like 60,000 points for 20 stays approx? My stays are mainly during May and June.

Thanks for any info.

David
Old Apr 28, 13, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. The Choice "stay 2, earn 8000" promos are virtually unmatched at other hotel programs, in the sense that they are uncapped (at least for those with enough status, during some rounds). Other programs, including Wyndham, only offer smaller promos and/or make them severly capped. In the case of Wyndham, it's both smaller promos lately (only double points and only on every oher stay) and always severely capped (to just your first 6 stays, on only 3 of which you earn double!).

As a member of both programs, it's only at most about once a year that I fin a WyndhamRewards promo that makes sense for me to earn bonus WR points, and even then I can only do it for a few stays and so earn very little. While with Choice I can do dozens and dozens of stays and earn 100k++ points that way (by mostly using Choice earning during those "stay 2 earn 8000" promo periods, and either other hotel programs or burning CHoice oints during the between-promo periods).

But WyndhamRewards promos are far and few between, so rarely do they either fit in or fill up what's in between Choice promos.

And welcome to FlyerTalk, dav2z / David!
Old Apr 28, 13, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you sdsearch for these infos. That's what I thought from what I found on Wyndham's website, but now it is confirmed. I'll stick with Choice and Wyndham will be my 2nd option, instead of Best Western or Holiday Inn.

Thanks again!
Old May 1, 13, 4:42 pm

David -

Your hotel choices and mine don't seem to be the same - Holiday Inn is at the low end of my spectrum of acceptable, and I avoid Best Westerns, Choice properties, and (now) Wyndham.

With that said, it sounds like you're really asking "what programs will give me 2-3 award nights for 20 qualifying stays?". That's different than asking about points, noting that points in the different hotel programs have wildly different values. The answer, though, depends on how much you're spending on each of your twenty stays and how flexible you are in your redemptions.

In my experience, any of the programs have that potential. Gary Leff did some math for five programs. Without promos, most require $1000 in spend for the cheapest free night redemption and ~$3000 in spend for a "big city" hotel redemption. Personally I've usually redeemed in categories 2 and 3, and rarely higher, so Gary's "big city" number is higher than I would use for my own planning.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-surprise-you/

Let's look at an example, assuming some very low spending: 20 nights (not stays) in a cheap Hyatt property ($100/night) will get you 10k HGP points (20 nights * $100/night * 5 points/$). That's good for two nights at their lowest tier (5k points) or 1.25 nights at tier 2 (8k points)

Unless you're spending more than $100 on each of your "stays" or agrgressively chasing promos, I think breaking two award nights per 20 stays will be hard. Which suggests to me that chasing promos might be useful. Alternatively, if this is out-of-pocket spending, how about using priceline? Arguably, at 3 free nights per 25 stays, you're getting barely over a 10% return from the loyalty program. Priceline can probably save you more than 10% on each night.

Last edited by milestraveler; May 1, 13 at 8:36 pm Reason: clarity
Old May 2, 13, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by milestraveler View Post
Let's look at an example, assuming some very low spending: 20 nights (not stays) in a cheap Hyatt property ($100/night) will get you 10k HGP points (20 nights * $100/night * 5 points/$). That's good for two nights at their lowest tier (5k points) or 1.25 nights at tier 2 (8k points)
Both Gary's charts and my example above do not consider the elite status bonus(es), which can seriously change the math. I'm going to work through the details for Hyatt since I know that program best, but there are some similar perks with other programs.

Hyatt's basic bonuses are low, 15% and 30%, but you can get Platinum status just for getting the credit card ($75 annual fee, gets you two nights).

So with Platinum status, the $2000 in spending gets you 11,500 points. Somewhat better, but not much.

Bigger perks comes at Diamond status (25 stays or 50 nights to qualify): not only do you get a 30% bonus, you also get a "welcome amenity". If you forgo the food & beverage amenity, you get 500 points per stay at lower-end properties and 1000 poinst per stay at full-service properties. Since you were asking about 20 stays, not nights, let's assume again that you're doing one-night stays for only $100/night.

At Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, you'd be getting an additional 10k points from the welcome bonus, effectively doubling your earnings. AND your award stays also get this bonus. With 23k points from your 20 one-night stays, you now have FIVE award nights at tier one properties (effective cost now 4500 points) or three award nights at tier two. Again, that's potentially 1 award night for every four paid nights. Without a promotion, that's an unheard-of value.

Now let's assume you did those stays at a full-service property (again, at the same $100 rate). Your 20 one-night stays now generate an extra 20k in bonuses, for 33k total points. If can redeem them at tier 1 full-service properties (and there are very few), that's 8.25 award nights (4k net cost per night) for 20 paid nights.

Then there's the extra-special point-printing bonus: at hotels with a Regency Club, Hyatt offers Diamond guests 2500 points per stay when the club is closed during their stay. Several hotels, including the tier-2 Santa Clara Regency, have their clubs closed on weekends. To illustrate the extremes here, let's assume you made your 20 one-nights stays on weekends at this property, when rates can easily dive below $100. You'd be getting 3.5k bonus points per night, or 70k bonus points, 80k total. The net effective cost for weekend award nights here is 4.5k (again, assuming single-night stays). You would get nearly 18 award nights for your twenty paid nights.

And all of the above ignore promotions.

Is any of that realistic? It depends on your travel habits and choice of programs. HHonors also has some optional per-stay points (the MyWay bonus points). I'm not sure about the programs you're using.

Last edited by milestraveler; May 2, 13 at 8:28 am
Old May 4, 13, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

milestraveler, thank you for this deep input.

My reality and yours is probably not the same. I have to choose hotels according to the areas I am traveling. For example, I never go in ''big cities'' when traveling for business.

And I don't pay for the rooms, the company I work for does, but redeem the points personally. So I don't check how much a point cost me.

So far with Choice, I earned 21,000 points for 6 nights! Not bad at all....