Miles&Points

Hotels and Places to Stay

Wyndham | Wyndham Rewards

Wyndham Rewards Changes Coming on March 14th

Old Feb 18, 13, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

I was just poking around the Wyndham site, and I stumbled across this page that indicates a change in reward categories is coming on March 14th.

The new "categories" in terms of point requirements will be: 5.5k, 8k, 10k, 14k, 16k, 20k, 25k, and 30k. Going away are 6k, 15k, 35k, and 45k (listed as 40k in the chart, but 45k in the text above). They explicitly state on the page that 30k will be the highest category.

No information on what hotels will be in what category or what hotels will be moving up or down. The page says to check your hotel on March 14th to see what the requirements are. They also seem to imply that hotels may be changing categories regularly, with the disclaimer: "Points needed for a free night are based on the tier level of the hotel at time of reservation and may differ from the number of points needed at time of stay. If a point adjustment is needed, please contact Member Services at
1-866-996-7937 after your stay is completed."

A bit better then their recent unannounced devaluation, but with no details on hotel category changes, I can't say that it inspires confidence.
Old Feb 19, 13, 9:58 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
rather sneaky of them
Old Mar 1, 13, 3:49 pm
Company Representative - Wyndham Rewards

Programs: Wyndham Rewards
In response to the feedback that you requested a list of hotels that are changing categories beginning March 14, 2013, we have posted a chart at https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...tiers&variant= . While we have a large number of properties changing categories, we have not made overall changes to our hotels in more than 3 years. Now that hotel prices are changing in many markets, we are making some adjustments. Note that we strive to make free nights as accessible as possible for our members so we are lowering our first tier hotels from 6,000 to 5,500 points, lower than our major competitors. We are also eliminating our top two tiers of 35,000 and 45,000 to make our higher-end hotels more affordable.

If any of our members have made free night reservations for March 14 and after at a hotel that is moving to a lower tier, we would be happy to adjust the points after your stay if you contact Member Services at 1.866.996.7937. If the hotel you are thinking about is moving up in points, we suggest you make your free night reservation prior to March 13 to ensure the current point pricing.

As always, thanks for your feedback.
Old Mar 1, 13, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Ramada West Hollywood: 4 -> 8

Steep rise!
Old Mar 2, 13, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Wyndham Rewards 2 View Post
In response to the feedback that you requested a list of hotels that are changing categories beginning March 14, 2013, we have posted a chart at https://www.wyndhamrewards.com/trec/...tiers&variant= . While we have a large number of properties changing categories, we have not made overall changes to our hotels in more than 3 years. Now that hotel prices are changing in many markets, we are making some adjustments. Note that we strive to make free nights as accessible as possible for our members so we are lowering our first tier hotels from 6,000 to 5,500 points, lower than our major competitors. We are also eliminating our top two tiers of 35,000 and 45,000 to make our higher-end hotels more affordable.

If any of our members have made free night reservations for March 14 and after at a hotel that is moving to a lower tier, we would be happy to adjust the points after your stay if you contact Member Services at 1.866.996.7937. If the hotel you are thinking about is moving up in points, we suggest you make your free night reservation prior to March 13 to ensure the current point pricing.

As always, thanks for your feedback.
No matter what one feels about the devaluation a big ^ for the list.
Old Mar 2, 13, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
No matter what one feels about the devaluation a big ^ for the list.
Ehhh with that said your link has this text "increasing point levels or decreasing point levels". Opening that you find page up and page down with rather extreme devaluations.

Upon a cursory look I didnt see any hotels going down? How many decreased as the link text is indicating?
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
Ehhh with that said your link has this text "increasing point levels or decreasing point levels". Opening that you find page up and page down with rather extreme devaluations.

Upon a cursory look I didnt see any hotels going down? How many decreased as the link text is indicating?
I pasted the list into Notetab, and the count (which is almost certainly not accurate but is a rough estimate) shows 542 USA hotels on the decrease list. I didn't try to count the rest of the world.

If I understand the new tiers correctly, if a hotel is a tier 4 today (16,000 pts under today's chart) and becomes a tier 5 under the new tiers (16,000 pts under the new chart), it's on the increase list because it has changed tiers but the points needed to redeem are the same. Same thing with moves from tier 3 to tier 4.

If a hotel keeps the same tier, the points needed to redeem may decrease. If a hotel is a tier 4 today (16,000 pts under today's chart) and remains a tier 4 under the new tiers (14,000 pts under the new chart) it would not be listed as a decrease, even though the points needed to redeem are reduced.

If I am misunderstanding anything, I apologize and I hope someone will help me out.
Old Mar 3, 13, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guffaw View Post
I pasted the list into Notetab, and the count (which is almost certainly not accurate but is a rough estimate) shows 542 USA hotels on the decrease list. I didn't try to count the rest of the world.

If I understand the new tiers correctly, if a hotel is a tier 4 today (16,000 pts under today's chart) and becomes a tier 5 under the new tiers (16,000 pts under the new chart), it's on the increase list because it has changed tiers but the points needed to redeem are the same. Same thing with moves from tier 3 to tier 4.

If a hotel keeps the same tier, the points needed to redeem may decrease. If a hotel is a tier 4 today (16,000 pts under today's chart) and remains a tier 4 under the new tiers (14,000 pts under the new chart) it would not be listed as a decrease, even though the points needed to redeem are reduced.

If I am misunderstanding anything, I apologize and I hope someone will help me out.
You are right. I looked blindly at tier level only
Old Mar 3, 13, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott- Platinum, IHG - Platinum, Hyatt - Globalist, CC - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, BW - Platinum S
Wyndham rewards is not devaluing the points as expected. Some properties going up and some infact going down. Win- Win for both customers and hotel.

Good Job Wyndham rewards!!!!^

Search this Thread